Author Topic: What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)  (Read 25036 times)

Offline sprokTopic starter

• Contributor
What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)
« on: October 08, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:22:40 pm by sprok »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 01:59:13 pm »
I'm banned as well. I'm not sure why, probably some asinine comment I posted while drunk.

You just answered your own question.

Louis Rossmann is not one to suffer inane ramblings - and he is not scared to call the shots as he sees it.  He's handled the likes of Apple prancing about in menacing manner - so he's not going to be worried about cutting you loose.

I like his straight forward, no bullshit approach.  In a world where PC has gone too far in some directions, he has the strength of character to call out crap and bull for what it is.  It is also worth noting that he is very well aware of where the limits are - and I can't say I have ever seen him go off in an uncontrolled rant.  Yes, he will rant - but I haven't sen him "lose it".

He is a down to Earth guy - and there should be more like him in the world...

... and less drunks.

The following users thanked this post: Frank, Mickster, Electro Detective

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: What is it with this sprok guy? (also, YouTube)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:16:53 pm »
I'll rephrase it. What is it with this sprok guy? (also, YouTube) because I cannot think about you as a wise person who does research when has an issue. Instead feels offended and cries out lout. What happens is, most likely, youtube flags your comments as spam and this has nothing to do with Louis at all. If you were banned on his youtube channel you would see a clear message about it.  :palm:
Edit: apparently youtube changed banning to hiding at some point of time around 2015-2016. However it does not exclude high possibility of going into spam. Regardless of this if there was some rude comment, it is no way extraordinary to get banned, and large channels indeed do this to weed out rude idiots and trolls.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:01:05 pm by wraper »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:35:22 pm »
That is all fine and good. But to ban an individual because they're having a bad day. Yeah, that isn't wisdom, that is dumbassery. Every person on Earth has a bad day once in a while. The fact that he even cares about any individual comment out of multi-thousands shows a pathological insanity. Again, the most profitable channels on YouTube don't focus on this nonsense. Louis may say he doesn't care about that (YouTube) but then why even post videos at all if he doesn't care? He cares on some level otherwise he wouldn't do it.
I see only one person here lacking a wisdom, and it's you.

The following users thanked this post: Barryg41, janoc, dr.diesel, Frank, joeqsmith, nugglix, Cubdriver, rosak

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »
That is all fine and good. But to ban an individual because they're having a bad day. Yeah, that isn't wisdom, that is dumbassery. Every person on Earth has a bad day once in a while. The fact that he even cares about any individual comment out of multi-thousands shows a pathological insanity. Again, the most profitable channels on YouTube don't focus on this nonsense. Louis may say he doesn't care about that (YouTube) but then why even post videos at all if he doesn't care? He cares on some level otherwise he wouldn't do it.

If the point you made in that discussion had any technical merit, I'm sure those harsh words in it would have been tolerated. But if it's just adolescent bullshit, or personal attacks, or excessive use of profanity, then, well, some channels will tolerate it, others won't ... Both are valid courses of action. Perhaps you should try writing comments that have something to contribute to the discussion, at least for a whilte, and you might be pleasantly surprised by seeing that you aren't banned during that time :)
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:57:28 pm »
This is 100% impossible to know without context. You're assuming I made horrible mistakes. Not true.
You don't know the other side of the story either. Maybe he's had to deal with countless of people with similar remarks, devolving into discussions that lead nowhere. At this point I'm not even sure you've actually been banned, or that it's some sort of weird Youtube bug or feature.

He frequents these forums too, so maybe you'll get a straight answer. Until then, lessons learned, I guess.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 05:40:04 pm »
Louis is a good guy, and if he banned, you I'm sure it's for good reason. Something about "suffer no fools". Just like on this forum, they don't put up with too much crap before you're shown the door. And that's a good thing.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »
That might be true now but not in the past. I've seen him (live) ban people for simply making a comment he thought was weird.
Maybe it's time to accept that you made a mistake and move on. Getting, in your own words, banned and then complaining about it here isn't making your case for you. Ragging on someone because he supposedly did something after you made, to your own admission, a drunk and asinine comment isn't either.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, joeqsmith

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
[Maybe it's time to accept that you made a mistake and move on. Getting, in your own words, banned and then complaining about it here isn't making your case for you. Ragging on someone because he supposedly did something after you made, to your own admission, a drunk and asinine comment isn't either.

This is true but everyone on Earth has a bad day  once in a while or is just in a foul mood. That doesn't diminish the value that person has to offer in general. Again, most successful forums/public places simply ignore these outbursts and move on. Cutting one's tongue out/muting someone is a totally different matter.

Apparently, this "Rossmann Guy" bans people when they don't use their brains before posting. Good on him, I wish more moderators would follow his example.
The "point and shoot" mentality of social networks has bothered me for quite some time, "shitstorms", "fake news", "foul language", "threats",  "rumours" and all.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:50:40 pm by Benta »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 08:14:24 pm »
No joke! Maybe time to implement the recursion plan. That is: none get to post unless you're vetted and approved like the Stackexchange castle (and sub-sites)! We will all get points! Surely this  is the way to social nirvana!  Don't like what you read?  Ban it outright and maintain your little fort! There is no way those little miscreants (foreigners) could have anything of value! (Even though 99% of stackexchange answers are "answered" with a correct but not-accepted post). Right? Right?  Keep living in your little cage.
You're not making this easier on yourself. You're not banned from the internet or even Youtube. You got drunk, dun goofed and got a slap on the wrist. Breathe, turn around and walk away, with the pride and honour you have left.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 08:25:58 pm »
Sir, would you like cheese with that whine?

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, chrisc, Frank, joeqsmith, IRFP460, Mickster, Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 08:27:27 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't even be making this post if I had any of that. The world is turning against intelligence and those "intelligent" have to fight for visibility these days.

With that said, I'm done with this thread. It has obviously devolved and I'm not in to that. Good luck fellow miscreants, I will post again.
Wait a minute. You told us you got banned for posting asinine comments while drunk. Now your telling us you got banned for being intelligent?

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog, Cubdriver, sprok

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 08:31:54 pm »
Mr. Scram, leave it. Often it is better to step back.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 08:33:48 pm »
" Again, the most profitable channels on YouTube don't focus on this nonsense. Louis may say he doesn't care about that (YouTube) but then why even post videos at all if he doesn't care? He cares on some level otherwise he wouldn't do it."

He doesn't do it for the money.  He has stated he makes very little.  He makes the videos to educate people.  However, as been stated, he doesn't suffer 'fools' well.  Waddaya expect, he's a New Yawker! ( says the Jersey boy with Brooklyn accent >:D)  Fuggeddaboutdit.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: nanofrog, sprok

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 08:36:14 pm »
Louis is a good guy, and if he banned, you I'm sure it's for good reason. Something about "suffer no fools". Just like on this forum, they don't put up with too much crap before you're shown the door. And that's a good thing.

That might be true now but not in the past. I've seen him (live) ban people for simply making a comment he thought was weird.

You try sitting there trying to read comments while also trying to do work. One less person commenting is n less useless lines of text to parse.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39:58 pm »
I'm glad you quoted that because it would be otherwise lost due to my dumbass (drunk) editing, thanks! Being drunk and intelligent are not mutually exclusive. Well, maybe for some people, OK.
No, they're not. However, I'm under the impression you're deceiving yourself. I know, because I've been there too. I did something stupid online, got what was coming my way and kicked and screamed about it like there was no tomorrow. In the end, I just had to admit to myself I was to blame, but it's that much easier to blame everyone else. Anyone else. Just not yourself.

I've done that a few times before I could finally bear to look into that mirror. And I'm probably not out of the woods yet either. Pride is a fickle thing.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:51 pm »
All this because you can't post replies on his videos?  :-//

Louis has a short fuse but it's understandable. Learn and move on. Optionally make another Google account and message him saying sorry.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

The following users thanked this post: sprok, Mr. Scram

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 09:21:47 pm »
@sprok

Get over it. This is the internet and you have not rights. It is his channel and he can do what he wants.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, Frank, Richard Crowley, Mickster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »
I appreciate the feedback but I'm not living in that world. I know who I am, what I have accomplished, the stupid things I have done,  and where I'm going. I'm not a millennial dumbass. I'm a Gen-X dumbass who has experienced far more than you can imagine.  I have lived in the trenches and soared to the insane heights of technology madness. I have never deserved the bans I have gotten, at all. Ever. I have only ever spoken truth and sincerity from experience.

EditL
Also, I'm not against this dialog at all. I love it. Feedback helps us grow as humans. The fact that I (hopefully) don't have to worry about being banned here is a good thing. This is dialog. The simple fact is, I don't give two shits what you post, I'm going to have a nice day fishing and you're going to continue to be a stressed out lemming doing lemming things. :)
Someone with your experience should realize that the likeliness of you never ever deserving any of the bans you got isn't that big, right? Is it everyone else, or did you maybe play a role in it after all?

Oh, I see you added a bit to your post. I doesn't seem to me you don't give a shit. You seem to be bouncing off the walls, unable to digest this is a situation you're not going to change in your favour by kicking and screaming. Walking away and going fishing is the best thing you can do at this point.

The following users thanked this post: Mickster, Cubdriver

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 10:08:55 pm »
The fact that I (hopefully) don't have to worry about being banned here is a good thing. This is dialog. The simple fact is, I don't give two shits what you post, I'm going to have a nice day fishing and you're going to continue to be a stressed out lemming doing lemming things. :)

I don't know whether you will get banned here or not (probably not), but with your demonstrated attitude and lack of respect, I don't see how one can have a fruitful "dialog" with you ...
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 10:10:09 pm »
Similarly, this is Dave's forum and you're violating several of his written rules with this thread, including his "biggest rule" of no personal attacks. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum-rules-please-read/

What will you do if Dave deigns to notice this thread and warn or ban you? Find another forum to whine in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 10:15:56 pm »
This is a sane a reasonable approach! Unfortunately most of us are simply sent to a Google advertisement. Some Google adverts stilll prevail, but not the one you want. Oops,  adverts work? Well, yes, they do work for increasing Google profit very well.
Are you okay, man? As in, do you need any assistance or help?

The following users thanked this post: IRFP460

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 10:47:33 pm »
That is all fine and good. But to ban an individual because they're having a bad day. Yeah, that isn't wisdom, that is dumbassery. Every person on Earth has a bad day once in a while. The fact that he even cares about any individual comment out of multi-thousands shows a pathological insanity. Again, the most profitable channels on YouTube don't focus on this nonsense.

The most profitable Youtubers don't even read comments let alone reply to them.
I'd ban people for one comment too if it was bad enough. If you get drunk and angry and get banned, that's your fault, not his.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:49:52 pm by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Psi, SeanB, nugglix, Mickster, Cubdriver

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 10:55:21 pm »

If the point you made in that discussion had any technical merit, I'm sure those harsh words in it would have been tolerated. But if it's just adolescent bullshit, or personal attacks, or excessive use of profanity, then, well, some channels will tolerate it, others won't ... Both are valid courses of action. Perhaps you should try writing comments that have something to contribute to the discussion, at least for a whilte, and you might be pleasantly surprised by seeing that you aren't banned during that time :)

This.
I'm more tolerant than most for example, but there are some thing that will get you banned instantly for one comment.
If you are known to me as being an otherwise productive commenter and you make one bad post I'm not going to ban you for that, I know you are having a bad day.
But at the end of the day all Youtuber producers are different and tolerate different things, and there if you are whinging about being banned then I'd have to say it's generally not likely to be the fault of the content producer. There are some famous exceptions, for example Steve Shives who just bans everyone who doesn't agree and uses automated banning bots as well.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 10:57:29 pm »
This is 100% impossible to know without context. You're assuming I made horrible mistakes. Not true.
You don't know the other side of the story either. Maybe he's had to deal with countless of people with similar remarks, devolving into discussions that lead nowhere.

This.
As a youtube content producer I can assure you that what you think is just one remark is something that I can guarantee you the content producer has heard a hundred times.
If you were a content producer then you'd understand.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf