Author Topic: What is the forum message "your attachment failed security checks..."  (Read 1311 times)

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I think it's the third or forth time lately when I've got images crashing the whole post because of this message  :palm:, it seem to be occurring often lately, could someone kindly please tell me what must an image have or not have to pass this checks so I can adjust my Gimp settings ?
And maybe adjust the little windows that appear when one clicks on the blue ? mark thingie that describes the attachments options to include the security rules.

Thanks,
 DC1MC

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: What is the forum message "your attachment failed security checks..."
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 07:00:30 pm »
Try changing image format, if you get the error with jpg try png.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 07:44:06 pm »
This is some sort of a bug, but nobody could be bothered to look into that. So dancing with slight image resizing and changing of the format is required.
Alex

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 11:37:27 pm »
Re this error message.
Gnif made some forum changes that should have fixed the other attachment wrong issue issue, so maybe it may have fixed this as well?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:58 am »
I thought that message was because the forum was blocking attachments from identified VPNs, so it depends on the source IP or maybe reverse DNS.

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:28:10 pm »
I thought that message was because the forum was blocking attachments from identified VPNs, so it depends on the source IP or maybe reverse DNS.

That is not right, first I didn't use any VPN and the IP is from a German residential DSL IP block and second, if one fiddles with the compression ratios of the pictures and resubmit, they will pass. It's probably some pattern based filter.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:37 am »

I haven't heard that.
It's happened to me and I wasn't usign an VPN, so can't be that.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 01:45:32 pm »

I haven't heard that.
It's happened to me and I wasn't usign an VPN, so can't be that.

That is not what I said.  The common way to block VPNs is by IP or maybe reverse DNS, but it is common for IPs to be misidentified.  Ask someone who receives a group of IPs which were previously used for some other purpose who then finds themselves blocked from email or other services.  It is a recurring problem for people who want to operate their own email server and I run across servers which block access from VPNs pretty regularly, including fucking Google who blocked access to my secure email address and never restored it so I lost access to everything tied to that email account.

Next time I happens to me here, I can verify if it is based on IP.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 01:52:10 pm »
This has been happening without a VPN and seems to have been linked to an SMF issue that Gnif tweaked a few days ago  :-+

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3395360/#msg3395360
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf