Author Topic: What is this metal?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: What is this metal?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 07:18:56 pm »
I put a piece of the metal on an old blade, gave it a bunch of heat with my butane burner and only when it got super hot did i see the slightest lick greenish/lime/cyan colour.
So it's between zinc and antimony.

Make sure you run the control experiment with just the old blade :)
I did after and the greenish flame is coming from the mystery metal.

I also torched the white crystals and they turned a quite ugly yellow, some barely green-ish flame could be seen when burning the stuff.
I found some sodium hydroxide so i mixed up some in a test tube and it seems to react with the metal, so it seems that the mystery metal might in fact be zinc.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 07:23:10 pm »
I put a piece of the metal on an old blade, gave it a bunch of heat with my butane burner and only when it got super hot did i see the slightest lick greenish/lime/cyan colour.
So it's between zinc and antimony.

Make sure you run the control experiment with just the old blade :)

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing. :)

The look and SG of antimony and zinc are pretty close (what, 6.75 vs. 7?), but my personal guess is zinc.   :popcorn:
Yeah internet said antimony does not react with dilute sulphuric acid so it has to be zinc.
Feels a bit unusual finding just a chunk like that laying around.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 08:06:25 pm »
Suppose it could be a sheared/broken chunk of zinc anode.  Think those usually have a bit of aluminum in them for strength or something, but maybe it happened to be pure.  Solidification shouldn't be too directional or slow, they're just cast in steel molds I would guess.  Maybe if it's a fragment of a much larger piece, it would do. *shrug*

Anyway, if zinc be the base then, have fun, you can melt that with a bit of aluminum and even less copper to make zamak I guess? :P  Make a smaller anode?  Do some electroplating?  (Needs some additives besides just the salt and acid.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 08:14:04 pm »
Suppose it could be a sheared/broken chunk of zinc anode.  Think those usually have a bit of aluminum in them for strength or something, but maybe it happened to be pure.  Solidification shouldn't be too directional or slow, they're just cast in steel molds I would guess.  Maybe if it's a fragment of a much larger piece, it would do. *shrug*

Anyway, if zinc be the base then, have fun, you can melt that with a bit of aluminum and even less copper to make zamak I guess? :P  Make a smaller anode?  Do some electroplating?  (Needs some additives besides just the salt and acid.)

Tim
I remember taking old batteries apart for the zinc but i can't remember what i needed the zinc for.
Anyways i might eventually find a use for it i think electroplating might be interesting, also tin and zinc alloy can be used for aluminum soldering.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:10 pm »
Find some unwanted copper, a can of Coke and make a battery :)

https://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/echem/batteries/batteries.html

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 09:22:46 pm »
Find some unwanted copper, a can of Coke and make a battery :)

https://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/echem/batteries/batteries.html

There's something in the back of my head telling me that zinc is important and i should keep any i can find.
Looks like i might be revisiting some old chemistry experiments.  ;D

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 09:26:11 pm »
There's something in the back of my head telling me that zinc is important and i should keep any i can find.

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 09:52:13 pm »
Try melting some of it into a thin enough piece to bend.  Pure zinc makes a distinctive crying sound when bent.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 10:44:39 pm »
Try melting some of it into a thin enough piece to bend.  Pure zinc makes a distinctive crying sound when bent.
Yeah i know that, also hapens when you bend steel plates that have thick zinc plating.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2021, 10:58:26 pm »
Cool fact, the "tin cry" (also exhibited by zinc, and I've sometimes had mild steel maybe do it, but maybe that was due to oxides or other impurities Idunno?) is due to shockwaves as the crystals deform -- IIRC, something about, the crystals have relatively few slippage planes and relatively high binding force, but not so much that they fail instantly in brittle fracture; the effect is, when a plane does slip, it goes off explosively, faster than the speed of sound in the material.  Hence the crystal slips all at once, and you hear a tic.  A cacophony of these going off at once, and you get some angry hissing sound, a "cry".

Zinc is hexagonal, and tin tetragonal, while most other metals are fcc or bcc cubic.

So also, they tend to be less malleable or ductile -- though clearly, not so much that they can't be shaped about easily as any other metal or alloy.  Not that zinc sheet or wire has much use, but tin foil and sheet were handy back in the day, and tin wire, well that's also known as solder. :)

(I forget what all the whole story about this is, or how much I might be leaving out -- things like induced twinning, or creep, which relieve stress, increasing plasticity despite the above facts.  Although, I'm pretty sure it's not creep -- which however is very much a property of lead, which makes it very easy indeed to form into sheet/wire, and is part of why leaded solder is relatively soft, and well, creeps under load, which you've seen if you ever left some solder hanging partially off the bench.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 11:25:24 pm »
Zinc is hexagonal, and tin tetragonal, while most other metals are fcc or bcc cubic.

That's true for tin above about 13degC. Below that, it undergoes a change in crystal habit resulting in a much more brittle substance. Back in the days when tin cans were made of tin, they were used to store fuel for (ant)arctic expeditions. Needless to say, it wasn't a good choice.

(Just another strange fact taught 40+ years ago that finally gets an airing :) )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_pest

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 01:42:17 am »
...and there's also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_pest , more closely related to OP's metal.

Offline twospoons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2021, 02:25:08 am »
sit it in a little salt water and measure the voltage between it and a piece of copper in the same salt water. Knowing the electrode potential of copper and the voltage out of this crude battery should give a good pointer to what metal it is.

If it didn't melt under the butane torch then its probably not zinc. Or not pure zinc at least.  MP 420C for zinc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf