Author Topic: What Marissa Mayer and I have in common...  (Read 7599 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What Marissa Mayer and I have in common...
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:16:16 am »
http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/marissa-mayer-googles-chic-geek/0

This closet freak has a knack for sexy business attire, AI algorithms, and cleverly designed trinkets that pork USB ports. ::)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: What Marissa Mayer and I have in common...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:35:52 am »
That picture looks soooooo staged. Generic geek dorm room setup in some photographic studio. Do you think a geek of that caliber and with no shortage of money would be caught with a '90th beige tower PC? Or do you think a women with that appearance and no shortage of money would stack here t-shirts on top of the tower, instead of storing them in her walk-in wardrobe, maintained by a chambermaid or at least a stylist?

The article reads as if written by the Google PR department. And of course starting with a false statement.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:36 pm »
Dont have time to read what she offers but ."This self-proclaimed “girly girl” runs one of Google’s fastest-growing services"
I bet she does ....
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:05 pm »
That picture looks soooooo staged. Generic geek dorm room setup in some photographic studio. Do you think a geek of that caliber and with no shortage of money would be caught with a '90th beige tower PC? Or do you think a women with that appearance and no shortage of money would stack here t-shirts on top of the tower, instead of storing them in her walk-in wardrobe, maintained by a chambermaid or at least a stylist?

The article reads as if written by the Google PR department. And of course starting with a false statement.

Yeah. It's insulting isn't it?

iratus parum formica

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:30 pm »

Well... Google employees aren't that typical. Even though they have lots of money they tend to act quite normal.
They don't drive around in luxury cars, the culture is all quite low-key.
There was a doco on the google culture a while back. Cant remember the name.

But yeah, that picture was definitely staged.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »
Well... Google employees aren't that typical. Even though they have lots of money they tend to act quite normal.
They don't drive around in luxury cars, the culture is all quite low-key.

Well, Modern Luxury wrote in 2008 http://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/the-adventures-of-marissa
A week before Christmas, Marissa Mayer, the most closely watched woman in the most closely watched company in the world, stands in the bedroom of her $5 million, 38th-floor penthouse at the Four Seasons,
a social climber who paid $60,000 to win lunch with Oscar de la Renta,
now that she’s moved to one of San Francisco’s marquee addresses (she also has a Craftsman in Palo Alto)
Mayer is equally obsessive about her art. Guests entering her apartment can’t miss the ceiling installation she commissioned from the famous glass artist Dale Chihuly: 400 pieces of blown glass in the shapes of sea flora and fauna. ... On other walls hang original works by Andy Warhol, Sol LeWitt, and Roy Lichtenstein.
She also enjoys the amenities available at the Four Seasons—the grilled-cheese sandwiches she can get from room service,

Sounds more like a normal modern executive lifestyle with a a touch of geekness. And IEEE really has the nerve to show us that staged dorm photo. Disgusting.

Yeah. It's insulting isn't it?

Yes, it it is.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 03:18:40 pm »
Sure, she is posing in the pic above, but that is nothing unusual for an interview photo session.

Here is another photo of her, taken a while back; apparently in her office (and again, posing):

If that is indeed her office, then the whole "geek dorm room setup" is probably the real thing. Just because she looks dressy and completely out of place with the surroundings in those photo shoots, that does not mean she rocks up to work every day like that. And even if she does, why should her image be incompatible with the environment portrayed?

I personally have several female friends who dress smart, conservatively, have professional jobs, earn more than I ever could, and yet their place is filled with all sort of toy junk... including beige PC cases with its guts littered on the floor.

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »
??? Staged or otherwise, I've been fixated on that exquisite piece of baby prototyping front end from the beginning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf