Author Topic: What type of solder is used on circuit boards for space probes?  (Read 2804 times)

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
That's my question for today. Thank you.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: What type of solder is used on circuit boards for space probes?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:12:54 am »
Most likely some very high grade leaded silver solder. Space hardware generally uses tried and true processes and materials since reliability is top priority.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:22:32 am »
The OP in this thread listed below links a NASA paper related to this subject.  Generally NASA requires something like 2-3% lead in the solder.  The paper describes why.  I believe the other space agencies have similar policies.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/whiskers-on-components-worth-a-read/msg996258/#msg996258

The following users thanked this post: EmmanuelFaure

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 06:03:07 pm »
From nasa-std-8739.3

6.11 Solder
6.11.1 Types and Usage. All solder used for tinning and solder connections shall conform to
ANSI/J-STD-006 (Requirement). Flux-cored solder shall be either composition SN60 or SN63
containing flux types R or RMA, or equivalent (Requirement). For all soldering applications
where adequate subsequent cleaning is not practical, only solder containing flux type R shall be
used (Requirement). Solid solders (no flux) for use in solder pots shall be of the same
composition (Requirement).

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:42:09 pm »
   I don't know what they're using now but about 5 years ago they HAD been using lead-free ROHS solder and they lost a LOT of satellites due to that stuff.  I live with a few miles of KSC and a friend of mine had a job removing the lead free solder and re-soldering the circuit boards with leaded solder.  I don't know what alloy though.

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:53 pm »
Thanks for the answers.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:10:59 pm »
I was at a place on Thursday that made space qualified parts and they used leaded solder.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf