Author Topic: What's a typical day at your job like?  (Read 10597 times)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: What's a typical day at your job like?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 11:39:16 pm »
once you straightened all that out : i may listen to your whine ... before all that .. you are below my noise level...

I understand that your company is not the only parasite but at least the other guys don't come here to brag.

If the State of Nevada wants to give incentives for the GigaFactory to be there is because they know they'll get their money back from employment and other ripple effects. Nothing to do with the perks the company gives to their employees.

Maybe it all turns bad for Nevada, but looks like a safe bet to me.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 12:03:09 am »
once you straightened all that out : i may listen to your whine ... before all that .. you are below my noise level...

I understand that your company is not the only parasite but at least the other guys don't come here to brag.

If the State of Nevada wants to give incentives for the GigaFactory to be there is because they know they'll get their money back from employment and other ripple effects. Nothing to do with the perks the company gives to their employees.

Maybe it all turns bad for Nevada, but looks like a safe bet to me.

That's just one example, there are more. It's bad taste to live of public money and brag about the benefits.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 12:11:32 am »
But they aren't living off of public money, they're getting bribed with public money to set up there instead of somewhere else lol.

It's not like their entire income is nothing but subsidies.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:13:07 am by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 12:14:13 am »
As far as I'm concerned the employees don't live of public money, that's just very far fetched.

Companies offer perks because it's a very competitive word out there (at least in the US for specialized roles).

Edit: What you see as bragging I see as FE showing why one would want to work there.

Edit2: After all FE is in recruiting mode, so it makes perfect sense to me that he said what is like in there.
I'm not so I won't share my perks :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:40:42 am by miguelvp »

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 10:01:27 am »
I'm always amazed that something as benign as a thread like this, totally harmless in nature, turns into some international political/environmental mudslinging and combo pissing contest/"I'm better then you" thing.

This forum needs a politics/religion sub forums. It's worked well on other forums I'm on.  Anytime politics or religion come up, you start a topic in the sub forum, and hash it out there.  Have at it.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:03:58 am by george graves »

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 10:30:00 am »
I'm always amazed that something as benign as a thread like this, totally harmless in nature, turns into some international political/environmental mudslinging and combo pissing contest/"I'm better then you" thing.

This forum needs a politics/religion sub forums. It's worked well on other forums I'm on.  Anytime politics or religion come up, you start a topic in the sub forum, and hash it out there.  Have at it.

It has been suggested before, and Dave's response has been that this is an electronics forum, and therefore politics and religion belong elsewhere.

A certain amount of digression is inevitable, of course, but the moderators are pretty good at shutting down the more egregious examples.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 05:40:53 pm »
>> What does your company do?

I currently work in a group that provides cloud services for mobile developers.

>> How long have you been working for?

Company  10y,  this group 2y.

>>What do REALLY do?

Software. Various aspects of cloud services. Can be a system design from scratch, adding a feature or a subsystem, or simplifying an existing system. A common aspect for most of my work is scalability, sometimes it measured by qps (order of 7 digits), sometimes by number of clients (order of 10 digits) and sometimes by the data size (order of 16+ digits). Smaller projects I do myself, for larger systems I get a team). I try to do actual work rather than just pushing papers.

How's an average day there?

Work is done between meetings and the number of meetings depends on the project scope, number of stake holders and the project stage. I try to keep formal meetings to minimum and ask people to justify meetings they schedule. I start working in the morning at home, after the commute gets better I drive to the office (~11:30am), work, eat lunch , keep working, drive home, and sometimes keeps working at home.  Typically I stay a day or two a week and work from home using a remote connection to my Linux box at work which saves me the driving time (got my current car 1.5 years ago and it already has 25K miles).

>> Do have lunch all together?

Sometimes we go in large groups (~15), sometimes eating at my desk. It depends on schedule and group mood. I never had breakfast at work and rarely have dinner there (I prefer my wife's cooking).

>> Do you stop to eat at all?

Always but sometimes late. We also have nearby a 'regular' restaurant that is opened 9am to 9pm that I like and sometimes I just go there to eat a late lunch.

>> How many women work with you?

Some, but I try to be gender neutral so I don't count.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 05:57:11 pm »
>> What does your company do?

I currently work in a group that provides cloud services for mobile developers.

Not sure if I feel for you or want to pick your brain about stuff you can't talk about lol.

>> How many women work with you?

Some, but I try to be gender neutral so I don't count.

Unfortunately I can only manage that as far as my hormones will let me...
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 06:45:53 pm »
I work at brewery and could write long piece of it... But i dont want to bore all you ;) Not much electronics or cool designs involved. Sometimes braindead ways automated machines work that makes one ask WTF were they thinking...

You have had the floor hip deep in wort then I suppose.........

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:03 pm »
I've not done any really work in a while, but I've worked in many places.

Generally companies that are commercial are efficient, are prepared to allow you to take considered risks and are fun to work at.

Companies that work for space take very very little risk, everything is done to procedures, everyone knows the procedures and that you have to not only follow them but document the journey as well as the destination. I've no problem working like this, I know exactly what needs to be done in order to satisfy the customer, the design side gets done properly and thoroughly and everyone ends up happy, unless you're in charge of printing out the documentation and getting all the signatures on it, in which case you end up with a bad back.

I've worked at places where you had to bring your own lunch in, places where it was expensive for a plate of greasy slop and places where decent chefs were making quality meals and charged very little for them.

I've also worked at places that had been in slow decline for decades, where everyone decent had left and the only permies left were unemployable, but would happily spend an hour explaining why they were too busy to do a 20 minute job that needed doing.

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 08:13:53 pm »
It's usually a call stating that someone has a pair of one-legged headphones. I then duly offer them a refurbished pair and then repair the broken ones and recirculate them too. Bad though it sounds, it does offer paid soldering iron time. Now, there is only one place in the building where soldering is allowed. Naturally, a lot of men with grey beards congregate in these areas, some of which you are pleasantly surprised are still alive. Conversations can extend into the hours.

I have had much more challenging roles in the past. Recently shifted a 800KVA (V12 Perkins) and a 1.25MVA (V16 Cummins) generator sets. The Cummins would do 1.5MVA for an hour, the turbocharger casings would be white hot at this point offering a view of the wheels spinning inside. However the engine did demand 360 litres of diesel per hour (6 litres per minute for the sake of perspective). This particular unit, being above 1MVA continuous, could be called upon by the National Grid in the case of a shortage.

Shifted a few 10 metre dia. dishes and their associated Klystron (some were driven by Travelling Wave Tube) amplifiers. The hardest part of this job was hiding the copper waveguides from the demolition crew who held no value in the product it's self. They were more interested in the material from which it was constructed. Copper had the strange effect of giving them an epic hard-on. My biology classes had taught me that copper was no good for male semen. At the time, I'd heard of female women being fitted with copper "T's" as a contraceptive device.

I have been more involved in projects before my current role of "Headphone Repairman". Project Engineer is not really a "Day-Job" but more of a "What shall befall me this day" and then deal with it appropriately. In this role "The Man" would usually approach you on a Thursday evening inviting you and the team for refreshments. I must say that I didn't feel extremely refreshed upon waking on the Friday "morning". The man was happy as long as everything was up to date.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2015, 07:47:47 am »
Copper, in the right hands, can be magically converted ( via a mystery man called "The Scrappie" ) into golden refreshment, in the UK served at room temperature, and in Zim in ice cold form. Her goes under the name Castle, Loin, Black Label, Amstel or Windhoek.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 08:31:49 am »
Copper, in the right hands, can be magically converted ( via a mystery man called "The Scrappie" ) into golden refreshment, in the UK served at room temperature, and in Zim in ice cold form. Her goes under the name Castle, Loin, Black Label, Amstel or Windhoek.

I do wish you furriners would stop perpetuating that myth.

Cask ales such as draught bitter are served in the UK at around 12 degrees Celsius (54 degrees Fahrenheit), and lagers, keg and bottled beer at about 6 degrees.

In case you are tempted to repeat yet another canard, Brits do have central heating these days, so 12 degrees is only room temperature if the room in question is the beer cellar.

As for ice cold beer, it may be refreshing when you want to cool down, but it doesn't taste of anything. Drink some ice water and then enjoy a real beer  ;D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 08:34:09 am »
Beer to me is just rotten stuff........... Good only for cooking with, and as a way to make a quick bread with.

YMMV...............

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf