General > General Technical Chat

What's this please? (Component Advice)

<< < (348/355) > >>

nali:

--- Quote from: DC1MC on December 14, 2021, 10:12:28 pm ---@nali: This really look like a potentiometer, you sure that is an encoder (continuous rotation and giving pulses) and not a variable resistor, I've never seen this this stile of ALps encoders, even for the panel mounts ?

https://wittko.eu/product-alpha-rv16af-potentiometer-16mm-10k-lin-achse-6x15mm-metall

Could you measure in between the side  contacts and/or center and one side with an ohmeter and rotate the shat  ?

--- End quote ---

Nope, it's 100% a quadrature encoder. I've had them in my parts bin for ages, and used them for breadboarding but now I wanted to use them for a project so was hoping to find a datasheet mainly to get the mechanical details of the locating pin for a panel I'm 3D printing.

Nusa:
Mechanical details are trivial. One shaft, one locating pin. Three measurements (shaft diameter, pin diameter, distance between them) with a caliper will give you everything you need to know to drill a panel. Test on some scrap to be sure, and if it's right you just made a template.

nali:

--- Quote from: Nusa on December 14, 2021, 10:50:31 pm ---Mechanical details are trivial. One shaft, one locating pin. Three measurements (shaft diameter, pin diameter, distance between them) with a caliper will give you everything you need to know to drill a panel. Test on some scrap to be sure, and if it's right you just made a template.

--- End quote ---

Sure, and that's what I'll do - if I don't find a datasheet. I'll be 3D printing BTW not drilling so it's measure / print / try /change... much easier if one has the dimensions to start with  :)

tsmith35:

--- Quote from: nali on December 15, 2021, 10:15:08 am ---Sure, and that's what I'll do - if I don't find a datasheet. I'll be 3D printing BTW not drilling so it's measure / print / try /change... much easier if one has the dimensions to start with  :)
--- End quote ---

Looks like manufacturers have done away with the circular tab, most likely because flat tabs that fit in circular holes (or even slots the width of the locator) should work just fine.

So I got to thinking (after looking at dozens of pots with similar pins) that these anti-rotation pins are most likely going to fit the same hole pattern regardless of functionality. Why reinvent the wheel? So I found a couple of images with dimensions and thought perhaps one would be a match...

nali:
Thanks... but unfortunately they don't :( These encoders are a bit larger than most pots and the dimensions don't match. It's not a huge problem as I can measure them as accuately as I need to in order to be able to mount them, I was really just hoping someone might recognise the part which would let me find a datasheet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version