Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1217144 times)

Offline ablacon64

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »
That crack should not be there. Looks like a varistor. Maybe if you provide a full view photo....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2012, 06:29:11 am »
I would say it is a spark gap.
They used them on the socket board for the CRT on a lot of colour TVs.
The first time I saw them,I thought they were faulty capacitors.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »
Spark gap. It should basically measure as open circuit till the voltage across it reaches betwwen 1-2 kilovolts where it breaks down.

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2012, 10:08:28 am »
Anybody happen to know this connector?
Only have this photo, so cannot measure the thing, but my guess its a 2.5mm or 2.54mm pitch.

Offline necroscope

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2012, 11:43:19 am »
Next up fellas..

I found these in the loft today, can't seem to find out what they are from the numbers on them, any ideas please?

Numbers around the top rim of one of them are 771139 and SGS87305

Thank you

orb
Looks like an equivelent to a  LM305  regulator here is a pic of one here http://www.wellgainelectronics.com/ProductImages/ics_VoltageRegulator/NSC%20IC%20LM305H.JPG  they were quite commonly used in arcade machies power regulator supplys in the late 70's early 80's.

Edit Just noticed it has already been answered... Fail on my part.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:46:57 am by necroscope »

Offline whatchitfoool

• Contributor
« Reply #230 on: November 05, 2012, 10:36:26 pm »
Anyone have any idea about this connector?
its a ZIF type female for a 5 pin, single sided cable.  specifically fits the li-ion battery connector for ipod video / classics.  real small pin spacing; maybe 0.5mm

i would love a part number, or even a good starting point for finding a reasonable match.

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #231 on: November 05, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »
ifixit carry basic ipod spares, doesn't look like they carry that connector, so perhaps send them an email

http://www.ifixit.com

Offline whatchitfoool

• Contributor
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:06 am »
i need  a source for 500-1000, at least.

other-wise ill have to look into a different approache

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:55 am »
OK , I was thinking 1 off, so try http://www.toby.co.uk/index.aspx, they have a big range of connectors and you can email them the connector picture etc and they will try to find it for you.

Offline whatchitfoool

• Contributor
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:53 pm »
anyone have any suggestions on terms and categories to start looking for something like this?

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2012, 04:10:26 pm »
Does anyone know what the connectors on the ends of this cable are called?

http://phenoptix.co.uk/products/adafruit_male_female_jumper_150mm

If so, can these connectors be purchased and used on their own?

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »
The female one is usually a Dupont connector(as the chinese call it) while the male one ... is also dupont

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2012, 12:49:47 pm »
The female one is usually a Dupont connector(as the chinese call it) while the male one ... is also dupont

I've heard the Dupont name before. As far as I can tell though, I can't find anyone who sells these connectors on their own.

Offline Astroplio

• Regular Contributor
    • Welcome to myrobots
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »
@steve30

Check molex part number 43031-0007 (micro-fit 3.0 connectors) as they call them, might be what you need.

But I suggest to download the pdf catalog from various distributors (connectors section) and browse it, you might see something that suits your needs better!
Printed versions are always better for browsing. I found that molex part number on an old 2007-2008 printed catalog from RS Components for example, that I keep handy.

George

Offline dr_p

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:30 pm »

I've heard the Dupont name before. As far as I can tell though, I can't find anyone who sells these connectors on their own.

I think it comes from the french "Du Pont". I'm not too good at french, but I think it means "of bridge" as in bridging wire or jumper wire.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »

I think it comes from the french "Du Pont". I'm not too good at french, but I think it means "of bridge" as in bridging wire or jumper wire.

In case of the connectors it indirectly comes from the chemical company DuPont. Among many other things they do wire isolations and materials for connectors. The designation "DuPont connector" is a misnomer coming from China. Someone mistook the manufacturer of a wire or connector material for the name of the connector or cable assembly, and that happened to get a live of its own. Especially because those 2.54 mm pitch, 0.64 mm square pin connectors don't have a common name. Every manufacturer calls them differently. Maybe the name will really stick, and we finally get a common name for these connectors.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: December 19, 2012, 01:10:46 am »

In case of the connectors it indirectly comes from the chemical company DuPont. Among many other things they do wire isolations and materials for connectors. The designation "DuPont connector" is a misnomer coming from China. Someone mistook the manufacturer of a wire or connector material for the name of the connector or cable assembly, and that happened to get a live of its own. Especially because those 2.54 mm pitch, 0.64 mm square pin connectors don't have a common name. Every manufacturer calls them differently. Maybe the name will really stick, and we finally get a common name for these connectors.

A bit like the way suppliers started calling Belling Lee coax connectors "PAL connectors"! ;D

Offline CarlG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »
@watchitfool

It looks a lot like Molex 52559 but they don't come in 5 pin...

//C

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:18 pm »
This is a logic level n-MOSFET, isn't it?

2SK1904

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: January 02, 2013, 03:19:57 pm »
Not really, it would like a little more voltage unless you run it under 5A.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: January 02, 2013, 03:35:20 pm »
Thanks m8.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:24 am »
What is this thing ?

Found it in old CRT computer monitor main board, located around the power switching circuit at mains input area, and through the trace, one of it's leg was connected to the common mode transformer which is connected at the mains line.

Put a TO220 diode beside it to show it's relative size, and no, its not a fuse cause there is already a glass fuse and a mov in the circuit. Measured results in the pic and during measurements, swapped probes (+/-) positions and also diode mode show no polarity.

TIA

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:29 am »
Degaussing thermistor. It is connected across the mains ( nowdays via a relay to reduce power) and has the degaussing coil on the CRT connected to the middle pin across to the left pin ( bottom view, the one with 2k3 resistance) so that when power is supplied it allows an AC current to flow through the coil. The device has a PTC thermistor and a NTC thermistor inside as 2 discs connected between the pins. As the device heats up the 17R unit heats up and the 2k3 unit drops in resistance will it reaches equilibrium where almost all the voltage is dropped and no current flows in the coil. This results in the current in the coil starting at a high value then smoothly dropping in value to near zero, just right to remove any residual magnetism from a CRT front mask so it does not cause colour errors.

You also get a 2 pin version, where it self heats and has a VDR action, such that it basically drops the current to under 10mA through the coil.

Just note that these do run rather hot in use.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2013, 07:48:24 am »
So this thing called "degaussing thermistor" which is just a NTC + PTC bonded together, thanks SeanB  !  :-+

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2013, 08:08:13 am »
Yes, if you rip it apart you will find 3 plates with 2 ceramic discs between them, grey with a silver coating on the flat faces.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf