Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1220186 times)

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2014, 05:23:46 am »
if you can`t contact the french guy then the cd on ebay is your best bet, you can get a paypal refund if its not as described .

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #526 on: May 22, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »
And the last photo:

PWM IC.. like a 3842 pwm controller
Draw the circuit around it and post.

JLM
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #527 on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:43 pm »
Anyone know if there is a standardized connector for NEMA 17 stepper motors? Right now I have some steppers with connectors and it looks like 2mm JST but I'm not 100% sure.

Just wondering if it is a standard part or if every manufacturer has a different connector.  :-//
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #528 on: May 25, 2014, 02:22:44 am »
Just find out the model and manufacturer ,then find the datasheet, it should give info regarding the connector.

http://reprap.org/wiki/NEMA_17_Stepper_motor

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #529 on: May 25, 2014, 03:45:12 am »
Just find out the model and manufacturer ,then find the datasheet, it should give info regarding the connector.

http://reprap.org/wiki/NEMA_17_Stepper_motor
:palm: Durp. Should've been my first step.   ::)
The mating connector is here! http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PHR-6/455-1162-ND/608604
Now to get a component footprint.  ^-^ Thanks!
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #530 on: May 31, 2014, 01:41:22 am »
Ok, i don't think I'm going out on a limb, if I say this is an inductor. But what is it specifically and what is it used for?
Could it be for impedance matching of RF antennas?

Type CRP 303983
TFIRX37YY  UX-10035A
15 HENRIES @ 0.110 AMPS D. C.
D. C. RESISTANCE 296 OHMS NOM.
WORK VOLTAGE 11800
RAYTHEON MFG. CO.
WALTHAM, MASS.
5950-645-6213

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #531 on: May 31, 2014, 02:26:20 am »
It seems unlikely it was made for RF antenna use.
It is notable that it has such an extraordinarily high working voltage (11.8 KV) but such a remarkably low working current 110 mA).

In these days of solid-state, it is hard to imagine something good for only ~3.5W, but 11.8 KV.
Perhaps a power smoothing or modulation reactor for a fire-bottle transmitter or something???

The color of the case and the stamp give it a military aura, like something out of a battleship?

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #532 on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:00 am »
Wow. That's interesting. 15H? As in whole Henries? I didn't know they actually made inductors in that range  :o

OT: I actually had a conversation with one of my professors about a test question being broken because it'd require a 33KH inductor to get the "correct" reactance  :-DD

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #533 on: May 31, 2014, 03:01:28 am »
I think it is a Reactor. Plenty are available on Ebay and here is a paper explaining its purpose and where it is used: http://www.ab.com/support/abdrives/documentation/techpapers/Line%20Reactors%20and%20AC%20Drives1.pdf
Could be from anywhere - old railroad locomotive, multi-kilowatt factory motor drives etc.

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #534 on: May 31, 2014, 03:12:38 am »
i found this with a description.It is a REACTOR .

http://coilsandtransformers.tpub.com/218/00-645-6213.htm

Description

A coil or coils usually constructed with cores having low magnetic reluctance, whose primary purpose is to furnish an inductive impedance in power or audio frequency circuit ranging from zero to 20 kilohertz (kilocycles). Includes audio frequency and power filter chokes, audio reactors and swinging chokes. Does not include transformers or coils used above audio frequency range. Excludes SATURABLE REACTOR. For reactors with air cores, see COIL (as modified).

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #535 on: May 31, 2014, 03:14:09 am »
OT: I actually had a conversation with one of my professors about a test question being broken because it'd require a 33KH inductor to get the "correct" reactance  :-DD
I wonder how many Henries are in thing on photo?

Offline TVman

• Frequent Contributor
  • Life is A bunch of people staring at computers. ;)
« Reply #536 on: May 31, 2014, 05:48:39 am »
none!  :-DD
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here more because I learn more. :D

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #537 on: May 31, 2014, 06:01:30 am »
Ok, i don't think I'm going out on a limb, if I say this is an inductor. But what is it specifically and what is it used for?

What it says on the tin a 15H inductor with very high working voltage.

What it was made for is a puzzle. Nothing RF the reactive impedance is about 5k at 60Hz.

Could be a smoothing choke for a high voltage power supply or perhaps ballast for a high voltage tube - maybe an x-ray tube.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: May 31, 2014, 06:07:11 am »
Most likely a DC smoothing choke for a high power AM transmitter, used to remove hum from the driver side ( the 100mA rating is a little low for the PA side, that will be a lot more, so likely for a low power side relative to the main output of typically 10-100kW) so that you do not get mains hum modulated onto the Audio signal. Probably has a 10uF capacitor on the input side and another on the load side separate on the chassis, and is fed from the main HT rail.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #539 on: May 31, 2014, 08:19:43 am »
Looks like its for a HV neon lamp.

Offline xquercus

• Contributor
« Reply #540 on: May 31, 2014, 11:07:11 am »

Fluxcapacitor's link includes a National Stock Number so some NATO country presumably purchased it at some point -- that and it was manufactured by Raytheon.  It would indeed be interesting to find out what it's intended applications is.  If you decide to take it apart, I'd be very interested in seeing how and on what the coil is wound.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: May 31, 2014, 11:45:54 am »

Fluxcapacitor's link includes a National Stock Number so some NATO country presumably purchased it at some point -- that and it was manufactured by Raytheon.  It would indeed be interesting to find out what it's intended applications is.  If you decide to take it apart, I'd be very interested in seeing how and on what the coil is wound.

I would recommend against opening it. It likely is oil filled, and likely the oil fill is pure PCB oil, and thus toxic. The construction will be a copper winding over a phenolic paper insulating core, with spacers per layer and interwinding paper sheets, with a laminated steel core with a large gap in the middle or a distributed gap, all bolted together with bolts into a steel frame and spaced out from the can on bakelite spacers so that leakage to the core will not cause problems. The wire to the ceramic terminals will be in 2 layers of glass fibre woven sleeving and will go to solder lugs that are bolted to the underside of the ceramic insulators. Likely breakdown voltage of the coil to the frame is 30kV minimum.

Offline xquercus

• Contributor
« Reply #542 on: May 31, 2014, 12:02:04 pm »

I would recommend against opening it. It likely is oil filled, and likely the oil fill is pure PCB oil, and thus toxic.

Ahh, very good point.

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #543 on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
Yeah, 15H for RF use; I should have known better.

Thank you very much, guys!

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #544 on: June 01, 2014, 01:46:44 am »
Yes we want teardown! teardown! teardown! teardown!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #545 on: June 01, 2014, 05:42:24 am »
SeanB already offered IMHO a very likely description of the construction of that inductor.  An inductor, even an "exotic" one like this just seems very very low on the list of interesting things to dissect.  And the likelyhood of being filled with PCB is another good reason to leave it alone, even though there is not universal agreement that PCBs are carcinogenic.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #546 on: June 01, 2014, 06:13:09 am »
US navy method of dealing with PCB filled warships is to either sink them, leave them in storage until they fall apart and sink, or send them to India to be cut up by non US citizens, who die and do not appear on US stats. In all cases export the stuff away. Same way they deal with all the depleted Uranium, by exporting it. In small pieces. In war zones. Far Far Away.

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #547 on: June 01, 2014, 07:04:43 am »
Well, PCB maybe not something you want to put on your bread but if you drill 2 holes you probably can easily drain it out. Unless it is heated to really high temperature it is not going generate any deadly toxins. I mean it is everywhere and everyone have been exposed to so much of it already. Handling some transformer oil does not create any real danger.

Also it is most likely not filled with PCB-based oil.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #548 on: June 01, 2014, 07:13:54 am »
Military surplus, likely made in the 1950's or so. Of course it uses PCB oil, as that was he de facto high voltage insulating oil then until the late 1970's when it was phased out.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #549 on: June 02, 2014, 08:31:03 am »
What could this have been used for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERFUL-DIODE-ARRAY-LASER-BOARD-GOLD-PLATED-OPTICS-UNKNOWN-APPLICATION-/251537146876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a90c843fc

? Also, what kind of board is it on? That's not standard FR4. Looks really impressive though :)
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf