Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1220323 times)

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #1000 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:29 pm »
Without seeing the OTHER side of the PC board, I'm not convinced you have a microphone there.

If it is an electret microphone capsule (with the impedance converting transistor circuit inside) then you must apply power to the microphone to make it work. It is not a passive device that generates voltage.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #1001 on: July 09, 2016, 05:17:35 am »
Without seeing the OTHER side of the PC board, I'm not convinced you have a microphone there.

If it is an electret microphone capsule (with the impedance converting transistor circuit inside) then you must apply power to the microphone to make it work. It is not a passive device that generates voltage.

I did power it. I used a variable PSU and a biasing resistor. I have used electret mic capsules in the past so I have an idea on how they work and how they should behave.

If you're talking about the tiny round PCB with a transistor and two caps on it, the back side is this one.

If you're talking about the flex PCB the device is mounted to, it is just a ground plane.

The part is not much of use for me, just a curiosity on what it really is. What I really want is to ID the LED :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:02:34 am by djQUAN »

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1002 on: July 12, 2016, 10:46:39 am »
I've only got the usual pointless ebay seller's potato picture of the chip

but what is a "MOSTEK MK3884N IRELAND" ?

searches lead me to http://www.cpu-world.com/Support/3/38.html

So I know it's one of Zilog's SIO's, but I can't work out the speed

MK3884 and MK3884-10 are 2.5 MHz parts.
MK3884-4 is a 4 MHz part.

so what is an MK3884N ?

thanks

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: July 12, 2016, 10:57:14 am »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bitslice

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1004 on: July 12, 2016, 11:15:29 am »
so what is an MK3884N ?

darn, I'd downloaded that same document the other day but didn't notice that line.
I was looking for my download of it this morning but it's lost in one of windows random download locations.

Thanks for finding it for me :)

Offline ChristopherN

• Supporter
    • app22 UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
« Reply #1005 on: July 19, 2016, 09:20:49 am »
Hi,

I have a rather "stealth" chip here. I can't even identify the vendor. The chip should be part of a broadband power line system.

Can anyone identify the manufacturer ? Can anyone find a datasheet?

Thanks

Christopher

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #1006 on: July 19, 2016, 09:24:57 am »
Can anyone identify the manufacturer ? Can anyone find a datasheet?
Mstar

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: July 19, 2016, 11:34:29 am »
...about as secretive a company as Broadcom, but some datasheets have leaked. If you can figure out how to register on some Chinese forums you might be able to get these...

http://bbs.ntpcb.com/read.php?tid-50930.html
http://bbs.52dtv.com/thread-22037-1-1.html

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: July 19, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »
What sort of compressed air coupler is this? I can't find it with image search, some sort of PCL knockoff?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2016, 07:19:28 pm »
My google-fu is not very strong today. DIP8 SMPS controller, it's not the AIC1550 (it's not a DC-DC converter).

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: July 27, 2016, 01:15:59 pm »
Microne ME8107A:

http://wenku.baidu.com/view/29b78b4459eef8c75ebfb328.html
http://www.go-gddq.com/upload/2016-02/temp_16021815004014.pdf
http://www.microne.com.cn/pro_detail.asp?categoryid=199&id=191
It would be interesting if you can tell how did you find it.
Did you happen to know already that chip, did you recognize Microne logo, or what was the process?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: July 27, 2016, 01:42:38 pm »
There are lists of semiconductor logos, but the ones I know don't include MicrOne.
http://www.canics.com/mfglogos.php
http://www.elnec.com/support/ic-logos/?method=logo

Offline azer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1013 on: July 27, 2016, 09:45:20 pm »
It is the first hit on 8107a on the Chinese search engine baidu, it can also be found on aliexpress and taobao.
1550 is likely the datecode. For recent and obscure chips like this it is beneficial to know other branches of fu.

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1014 on: July 28, 2016, 05:39:16 am »
Anyone recognize this one?
It's from a 1988 vintage motor controller, so I'm guessing a triac of some sort.
I can't find anything resembling a datasheet, so finding a replacement is proving more difficult then expected.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1015 on: August 07, 2016, 01:02:47 pm »
Hi guys,

Does this kind of assembly have a specific name? It was used to position optics onto a measurement system.

The ruby tipped probes are called "CMM Stylus"? Or is there another name for them?

Thanks,

David
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: August 07, 2016, 08:06:38 pm »
Anyone recognize this one?
It's from a 1988 vintage motor controller, so I'm guessing a triac of some sort.
I can't find anything resembling a datasheet, so finding a replacement is proving more difficult then expected.

Part is TAG8816, which is a now obsolete Triac from either Siemens or AEG. Most likely a BT132 triac will be a replacement for it, though I will bet that it is driven with a SAA series triac controller, and that, or the capacitors associated with it, is dead.

The following users thanked this post: Fortran

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: August 08, 2016, 04:55:45 am »
Thanks!

It is indeed AEG and driven by a TDA1085C controller.
I suspect, as you said, the controller and surrounding caps where the problem.
But as I don't have the rest of the machine, I'm replacing everything just to be safe.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1018 on: August 14, 2016, 10:54:40 am »
This unknown ceramic PGA chip comes from a remote control for industrial cranes. Couldn't even find the manufacturer "IST" ?

The remote control dates back to 1994. Had no time to trace the other peripherals on the board. So no idea if the crystal oscillators belongs to the ceramic chip.

I would guess that it is something like a GAL/PAL/PLD? Or even a microcontroller?  :-//

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: August 14, 2016, 01:34:36 pm »
Thanks!

It is indeed AEG and driven by a TDA1085C controller.
I suspect, as you said, the controller and surrounding caps where the problem.
But as I don't have the rest of the machine, I'm replacing everything just to be safe.

If the triac died that chip will be toast as well. I have met those before, so also change electrolytic capacitors connected to it, all of them. They are pretty good at speed control, but as the capacitors age the ESR goes high, the chip goes wonky and runs the motor to full speed or runs in bursts. If the motor arcs over then it fries the TRIAC, and this kills both. If the snubber is not there across the triac add it, using a 100R 1W resistor and a 100n 250VAC class X capacitor, if there replace the capacitor as well, using a class X device.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: August 14, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »
This unknown ceramic PGA chip comes from a remote control for industrial cranes. Couldn't even find the manufacturer "IST" ?

The remote control dates back to 1994. Had no time to trace the other peripherals on the board. So no idea if the crystal oscillators belongs to the ceramic chip.

I would guess that it is something like a GAL/PAL/PLD? Or even a microcontroller?  :-//

Custom gate array, so you are SOL unless you can buy one from the manufacturer. However I would look at the clock from that ( likely) CD4001 chip, to see if it is actually oscillating.

Offline 128er

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: August 14, 2016, 01:54:37 pm »

Custom gate array, so you are SOL unless you can buy one from the manufacturer. However I would look at the clock from that ( likely) CD4001 chip, to see if it is actually oscillating.

Thanks for your assessment. There is no need to repair anything. Pulled two of these remote controls out of the dumpster at work. This one from 1994 and another from 1976. Kept four heavy coordinate switches from them. And this chip purely out of curiosity what it would be.

I will decap the chip and try to get some good pictures of it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:56:14 pm by 128er »

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: August 14, 2016, 04:31:20 pm »
The letters 'TH-GAS1' is a strong hint that it is a mask gate array. Photomicrographs are not that interesting, although if you knew the floorplan of the array you may be able to reverse engineer the RTL from the visible metal layer. Many gate arrays were programmed with a single custom metal layer, but I think some used more than one.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1023 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:40 pm »
I don't know if this is missing any parts, I suspect it might be. But it appears to be some sort of high voltage switching tuby thingy. It is (or was) in a vacuum (or gas), although one of the terminals has internal cracks and I hope it hasn't vented. The contact is magnetic (part of some sort of relay or contactor maybe?).

EDIT: confirmed a vacuum relay of some sort. An image search turned up a pic of a recent Ebay listing for a device with a part similer to this one though. Mine is missing the rest of it including the coil and brackets (although if it hasn't vented I can replace those). But I can't find any other info.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:13:17 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: August 26, 2016, 06:50:35 am »
I'm trying to find out what this IC is exactly. It's part of a fan speed controller board.

It's an 8-pin SOIC package, and the only marking on it is 'HXN-JOa' (not sure if that 'O' is actually a zero or not). I have a suspicion it may be some kind of adjustable DC-DC buck converter that is being used to step-down 12V to a lower voltage. Possibly from a Chinese manufacturer, as the only references to the marking text I could find were on Chinese websites.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf