Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1229059 times)

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #1675 on: June 13, 2021, 02:56:41 pm »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. The burned resistor pictured is from a heated blanket controller. I'd rather replace the resistor than the whole blanket. I used the colour coding on the one below it (they're the same), with the help of a website, to help me find the resistor I needed on ebay. The discription for the listing is as follows:

Metal Film resistors 60 different value, 5 different quantity
All resistor have 1/4W - 0.25W power dissipation and 1% tolerance rating

Values: 10 Ohm - 1 MOhm
Quantities: 1-10-20-50-100 pcs

I chose the 510 ohm resistor, and that's the one you see pictured, which is obviously very different in size but the bands look the same colour. Can anyone help me figure out which type of resistor I need to buy? Thanks  :)

Comparing to the size of other components in your picture, they look like 1W metal film resistors.

The following users thanked this post: Abaku

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1676 on: June 13, 2021, 05:03:40 pm »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. The burned resistor pictured is from a heated blanket controller. I'd rather replace the resistor than the whole blanket. I used the colour coding on the one below it (they're the same), with the help of a website, to help me find the resistor I needed on ebay. The discription for the listing is as follows:

Metal Film resistors 60 different value, 5 different quantity
All resistor have 1/4W - 0.25W power dissipation and 1% tolerance rating

Values: 10 Ohm - 1 MOhm
Quantities: 1-10-20-50-100 pcs

I chose the 510 ohm resistor, and that's the one you see pictured, which is obviously very different in size but the bands look the same colour. Can anyone help me figure out which type of resistor I need to buy? Thanks  :)

Comparing to the size of other components in your picture, they look like 1W metal film resistors.

I'd agree. Here's a resource that might help you: https://www.electricalengineering.xyz/sheet/resistor-power-rating-chart/

You could make what you bought work, since I see you have a quantity of them. Take four of them. Put two in series to make 510+510 = 1020 ohm 1/2 watt set. Do it again to make another 1020 ohm 1/2 watt set. Then put those two sets in parallel to make a 1020/2 = 510 ohm 1 watt assembly. Wattage is about surface area, it adds up serial or parallel; the math is simple with identical value resistors. Looks like you have enough space to squeeze that in if you do it right.

Or you could go buy the proper part.

The following users thanked this post: Abaku

Offline Abaku

« Reply #1677 on: June 13, 2021, 06:29:16 pm »
Thank you both, I'll probably just buy a new one since they're pretty cheap, though I appreciate the suggestion, that's pretty smart  ;D Just to confirm, it's definitely 510 ohm I need yes?

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1678 on: June 14, 2021, 02:32:09 am »
Just following up, the 2 varistors were located and replaced. Sizes were 2220 and 1210. Thanks again!

Offline depot

• Contributor
  • Expat life is great
« Reply #1679 on: June 24, 2021, 03:27:47 am »
https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/lm66100

I use this IC as an ideal diode and I think of using it as a switch too. But there's a hitch!

LM66100 has an input called ~CE. This is a comparator with the input voltage. Not only is it active low, but to turn off the IC, this pin must be equal to or above VIN (preferably above). This is much different from a typical logic level Enable pin!

Why is this? What's the typical application where the comparator is more useful? The datasheet has some notes about reverse current blocking, is that unique to the way this is designed? Curious.

Another silly thing about this is that the ST output is high-z when enabled and output low when disabled. But we never have a case to supply power to it and disable it, therefore this output is always high-z. I guess it's nice to have something that's logically-inverted from the output voltage.

But yes, I expect to use a mosfet or simple load switch instead.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:05:57 am by depot »

Offline hexpope

• Contributor
« Reply #1680 on: June 25, 2021, 01:46:52 pm »
Hi all, A friend of mine has taken his camera apart and was asking me what type of connector this is?  I have been searching around and haven' found anything.  Any of you guys know?

Thanks in advance

Offline Dubbya13

« Reply #1681 on: July 22, 2021, 01:24:02 pm »
The 130-082 is a Triac. Most likely 600V at 12A (similar to BTA12-600B). I found one in a light dimmer I am repairing that is shorted. Do you still have hundreds (or tens) of these?

Offline booka

« Reply #1682 on: August 08, 2021, 07:18:23 pm »
Hi All, any idea on this one, it comes from a HAM radio operators collection, so guess would be a high voltage capacitor. Measurements done (in both directions) confirm this, 6.5pF, Infinity Ohms (no diode drop). The electrodes might be aluminum just based on visual impression, so the square plate connecting the electrodes might be a dialectric. Never seen such a constuction so I would be happy about more info.

Update: Might rather be some over voltage protection / spark gap...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:05:53 pm by booka »

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1683 on: August 09, 2021, 12:53:38 am »
That small square thingy looks like mica.

The following users thanked this post: booka

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1684 on: August 09, 2021, 01:03:39 am »
Hi All, any idea on this one, it comes from a HAM radio operators collection, so guess would be a high voltage capacitor. Measurements done (in both directions) confirm this, 6.5pF, Infinity Ohms (no diode drop). The electrodes might be aluminum just based on visual impression, so the square plate connecting the electrodes might be a dialectric. Never seen such a constuction so I would be happy about more info.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I think that would be a good conclusion and it's probably a lightning arrestor fusible link.
Just where it would best inserted into an antenna system might be up for debate.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: booka

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #1685 on: September 07, 2021, 09:30:03 am »
Hello,
Any ideas what this may be? Looks like a DFN10 with 0.5 pitch package. Search came empty and  have no ida what purpose of the component is, so no help there either.
Thanx for any hints.

//have only few pictures from a phone, the first line of the marking is either 68101 or may be 681Q1 - not that sure
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:35:13 am by Yansi »

Offline Monotaskr

« Reply #1686 on: September 14, 2021, 05:30:36 pm »
I am improving on the stock thermal management that came with thisNvidia RTX 4000 GPU, which was aggressively mediocre! This a great card, every workload tore through like it's trying to show off, but sustained heavy lifting, and the black puff ofsmoke wouldsignal it's unglamorous demise, forcing me to pretty it up, lipstick on a pig style to please the RMA NVIDYITES... Anyway, I found some rectangular surface mount 2 position components marked "220" with fine print "94tpp d" written below the 220, are these resistors? Noob move to give them copper hats? [Do they benefit from heatsinks?]

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1687 on: September 14, 2021, 05:48:22 pm »
Those look to me to be tantalum capacitors, and shouldn't have any need for heatsinking.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1688 on: October 13, 2021, 07:58:01 pm »
Can anybody advise the brand of this capacitor please? I'm pretty sure it would've been ordered from one of the mainstream online retailers (Farnell/RS/Mouser/Digikey) but my Google-fu is failing me as I can't find anything near.

Thanks!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1689 on: October 14, 2021, 04:54:42 pm »

The following users thanked this post: nali

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1690 on: October 15, 2021, 10:55:00 am »
SJE.

http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/

Cheers!  :-+ I tries a couple of lookup sites but couldn't see it, I even mocked up a PNG of logo and tried a reverse image search.

That still leaves me slightly puzzled as to how it got into my "misc capacitors" box... I can only think it was a Farnell Multicomp job. In any case it's going back in the box as I need more ripple current >:(

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1691 on: October 23, 2021, 06:18:58 pm »
I've acquired a french Ferisol TOhm meter, but it came without a power cable. Does anyone know what kind of connector this is (and where i could get one)? Replacing it is not really an option, i would have to disassemble the entire instrument and there's not enough room for a normal C14 power plug.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1692 on: October 24, 2021, 12:15:11 am »
I can't find an online picture of that meter at all, so it's got to be old and rare. Be nice if you shared pictures of the entire unit.

You'll probably have to mold one yourself if you want to use that connector. But before that, I wouldn't apply power before looking inside. For that matter, I wouldn't make any assumptions about voltage. The switchover had started, but in the 1960's there was still a lot of France with 127V service.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1693 on: October 24, 2021, 03:01:43 am »
I've acquired a french Ferisol TOhm meter, but it came without a power cable. Does anyone know what kind of connector this is (and where i could get one)? Replacing it is not really an option, i would have to disassemble the entire instrument and there's not enough room for a normal C14 power plug.

I have certainly seen that kind of  connector on equipment, maybe Metrix?

Later.....Just a thought! It may have been on LGT (Laboratoire general desTelecommunications) transmitter modules, as I had a lot more to do with them than Metrix, which I only used back in Tech school.
LGT later became a part of Thomson, but if it was them, whether they retained the funny connectors or not, I don't know.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1694 on: October 24, 2021, 07:47:05 pm »
Does the meter carry any identifying information such as part number, model number, date, address or similar? Would it be possible to put a ruler in the photo to help determine size?

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1695 on: October 24, 2021, 08:25:18 pm »
Does the meter carry any identifying information such as part number, model number, date, address or similar? Would it be possible to put a ruler in the photo to help determine size?

Sure, it's a Ferisol RM 210. There's not much documentation available (and i don't speak french), i only know that it's decent-ish (+/- 3%) and it's definitely a no-expense-spared instrument. The plug has an outside diameter of 16 mm (12 mm inside) and it's marked "DOS". Haven't looked for time stamps, but i'd say it's from the late 60s or 70s.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1696 on: October 24, 2021, 11:10:29 pm »
Ah, the larger picture answers my concern about input voltage, at least! Selectable. Which also suggests 60's.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:14:04 pm by Nusa »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1697 on: October 30, 2021, 02:58:10 pm »

Sure, it's a Ferisol RM 210. There's not much documentation available (and i don't speak french), i only know that it's decent-ish (+/- 3%) and it's definitely a no-expense-spared instrument. The plug has an outside diameter of 16 mm (12 mm inside) and it's marked "DOS". Haven't looked for time stamps, but i'd say it's from the late 60s or 70s.

Looking at these pix, that connector is definitely the one LGT used back in the late 1960s/early '70s.
It must have been a mainstream connector back then, most probably a French one.

I wonder if there are any trade magazines from that period on the Internet?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1698 on: November 11, 2021, 06:36:03 am »

Yes, spark gap for a balanced feedline, generally used to prevent large voltage differentials on the feedline. Normally placed with another 2 to the grounding bar, so that close by lightning strikes do not induce too high a voltage in the antenna wiring. Clip in, because it will fail for a large close strike, and short out, so easy to replace, though for large close strikes all you are likely to be left with is the end caps, the glass being blown apart by the plasma as the electrodes arc.

Not much use on modern equipment, as the input stages will not survive the let through voltage, and will blow up, but old hollow state front ends survive this without problem.

Offline BMK

• Contributor
« Reply #1699 on: November 18, 2021, 12:13:24 am »
Strange 0.25" faston connector, from an ancient John-Deere dashboard.

This gets mounted through hole on a single sided PCB,  with the faston tab poking out on the non-copper side to accept a .25" faston female crimp. On the copper side, the 2 little wings are soldered to the PCB. The 2 loops form a receptacle for a double sided PCB edge connector.

Im hoping this is a commodity part and still made by someone, somewhere...
Any help appreciated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf