Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1220402 times)

Haenk and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline FlyWizard

• Contributor
  • AggressiveFun - the real technology/fun in life!
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #950 on: March 20, 2016, 09:04:39 pm »
Hello all,

I am trying to find a STMicro part from its markings but I'm having no luck at all. It is a TO-220 part with markings "130 082" on the first line, "GKO5D VU" on the second line, and "CHN 209" on the third line. I've searched everywhere on the internet that I can think of but nothing is found for the part. I've also inquired on the STMicro support site(twice even) and have gotten no response from them.

Any ideas on the ST part number and date code for this part? I have a bunch(meaning a couple hundred) I'd like to sell so anyone who knows, and can help identify, will get first dibs on purchasing at a great discount!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

It looks like house numbering - but at the same time the 08 and 05 make it look like its a 5 volt regulator (maybe a 7805). If you show us the circuit you found it in, you might be easily able to tell what it is. Also, if it is indeed a regulator, 

A standard 7805 e.g. from ST (got from Mouser) is numbered:
First line: L7805ACV
Second Line: GKDSL V6
Third line: CHN 506

So that tells me that the second and third lines do not really give you any helpful info. With 130 082 on the first line, it looks like it is house numbering. Now, the cheap ebay testers WILL NOT be able to tell you if this is a Regulator e.g., but if it's a Triac or transistor they will - not that that is very useful! Why don't you just start checking it out with a multimeter for diode drops etc.? BTW. if this was taken from a circuit and if you show us the circuit the part was on, it will be really easy to guess.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, the second and third aren't helpful at this point. I wish I had a reference circuit - I have 490 brand new that I'd like to figure out what to do with but I'm still stuck. Sure would be nice if the STMicro support page would respond. I've inquired twice, they update their page and say it is "assigned" but they never respond - not even an email to say they are looking into it. Doesn't say much for their customer support!!

Thanks a ton for your help and suggestions! The quest continues! 

|O

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: March 22, 2016, 03:04:26 pm »
Does MFD on old capacitors mean uF?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #952 on: March 22, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »

Yes
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #953 on: March 22, 2016, 03:11:58 pm »
Yes.
And "MMFD" means pF.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #954 on: March 22, 2016, 05:29:45 pm »
Replacement is a 15000uF 100V capacitor.

http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/6832011/

However if you are a little price concious this will probably also work well in this application, slightly lower capacitance ( but at this size likely within the tolerances of the original)

http://za.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/8526531/

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #955 on: March 22, 2016, 06:23:21 pm »
Yeah, brand new. I have 490 of them and really want to do something with them!

Well, since you can't get the info you need, might as well do some basic diode tests to see what they are (BJT? FET? Thyristor?). Or even try using them as 78XX or 79XX regulators and see what happens.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #956 on: March 22, 2016, 08:00:31 pm »
Yes
And it also means it is rather old. So it may be prudent to measure the ESR and determine if it is drying our or showing other signs of approaching its end of life.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #957 on: March 22, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
Yeah, brand new. I have 490 of them and really want to do something with them!

Well, since you can't get the info you need, might as well do some basic diode tests to see what they are (BJT? FET? Thyristor?). Or even try using them as 78XX or 79XX regulators and see what happens.
And those combo component testers on Ebay are well <$20 these days. They do a marvelous job of identifying what kind of component it is, and even giving some basic measurements (like hFE, etc.)  IMHO they are a "must-have" for anyone who plays with mystery components.

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #958 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:03 pm »
And it also means it is rather old. So it may be prudent to measure the ESR and determine if it is drying our or showing other signs of approaching its end of life.

How do you guys determine what ESR value is good or bad? That does depend on capacity and voltage rating, does it not? Or is Quality/Dissipation factor a better criterion?

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #959 on: March 24, 2016, 07:15:46 pm »
Datasheet. There are rules of thumb with for capacity/voltage, but the real values come from datasheets.

From this Wiki:

Or in other words: it doesn't matter if you use DF, ESR or QF, they can all be derived from that formula. Most datasheets seem to spec DF.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:26:21 pm by jitter »

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #960 on: March 27, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »
Damn, I was hoping there would be an easier way, I don't want to look for capacitor datasheets every time I suspect a bad CapXon cap :/

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #961 on: March 28, 2016, 12:19:56 am »
Damn, I was hoping there would be an easier way, I don't want to look for capacitor datasheets every time I suspect a bad CapXon cap :/

Plenty of bad caps will be an order of magnitude worse than their ideal value. Once you have a good general idea of what they shoukd be, it isn't too hard to tell.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #962 on: March 28, 2016, 05:42:01 am »
The values that are printed on the cap are going to be enough in many applications. But please beware that there are also applications in which the ESR can be an important factor in the stability of the circuit. Too low or too high an ESR can then lead to problems when you replace a cap willy nilly.

Offline Sjokolade

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #963 on: March 28, 2016, 08:22:34 pm »
Pictures from ebay, anyone know what chip this is ?

If at first you do succeed try not to look astonished

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #964 on: March 29, 2016, 04:58:48 am »
I'm going to hazard a guess: a 3.3 V regulator, of possibly a generic Asian brand.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:00:30 am by jitter »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #965 on: March 29, 2016, 06:02:51 am »
Pictures from ebay, anyone know what chip this is ?

At a guess, it is a "IBM-46M0864-46M0832-Feature-Key-for-Upgrading-IBM-M1015-RAID-5-50". (Google image search is great).

My guess it is a small 6-pin programmable micro that is coded in a way that it is very hard to copy. Perhaps the RAID send this board a random code, and this chip replies with a correctly hashed version of the code back. This would mean that capturing the communication is useless because it will be different every time.

If it just sends only, then if you had one, you could capture the code and try and make a circuit to copy the functionality.

It seems like it can run with two wires so power and data are sent over the same two wires. Something like the Dallas/Maxim 1-Wire technology.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:15:01 am by amspire »

Offline VinzC

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
Re: What's this please?
« Reply #966 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »
Oh! Oh! May I?

The hand drawn part is the rough copy of the silk screen that was under the component. Basically a zigzag in a rectangle. Probably some power component, but I have never seen the symbol, so no idea.

EDIT: added a picture with a ruler. It's about 10mm wide.

Any idea why all pictures in this thread appear completely scrambled to me? (especially the above two.)

Other than that, yes, I also find this topic extremely useful as I regularly wished anyone could give me more info about an unknown part, especially connectors.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #967 on: April 19, 2016, 04:03:47 am »
Any idea why all pictures in this thread appear completely scrambled to me?
I don't see any "scrambling".  Perhaps something is wrong with your browser.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #968 on: April 19, 2016, 03:32:57 pm »
Awww.....  The Apricot.         *fond memories*

I remember them when they first came out.  They weren't too bad.

They were bloody awful, used to have to put a sheet of copper under the tiop cover of some of them to stop them interfering with the monitor. And the power supplies, some of them just.. *ugh* They moved on to Astec ones which had a nasty habit of chucking out -48V when some of the smoothing caps died.

We used to make *lots* of money from Apricot computer owners.

Offline FlyWizard

• Contributor
« Reply #969 on: April 22, 2016, 09:59:16 pm »
I've got another challenge for everyone - this time with a big pay off!

I'm trying to figure out what a N40-5835SP is. I'm told it's a voltage regulator but can't find any info. Alibaba has several show up when searching but no datasheet or info.

So here's the payoff - for the first one to supply the following -  if you can send me the manufacturer datasheet, or point me to a link for the real manufacturer datasheet, I'll send you a full tube for free!! That's 55 parts!! Free shipping to the USA as well.

The full markings on the 14 pin SOIC are "HII N40-5835SP 1203CGIX" No doubt the 1203 is the date code for the 3rd week of 2012.

I've attached a photo for your reference as well.

Any takers? I've looked everywhere and can't find a thing. Good luck!!

Offline FlyWizard

• Contributor
« Reply #970 on: April 22, 2016, 10:07:36 pm »
Hello all,

I am trying to find a STMicro part from its markings but I'm having no luck at all. It is a TO-220 part with markings "130 082" on the first line, "GKO5D VU" on the second line, and "CHN 209" on the third line. I've searched everywhere on the internet that I can think of but nothing is found for the part. I've also inquired on the STMicro support site(twice even) and have gotten no response from them.

Any ideas on the ST part number and date code for this part? I have a bunch(meaning a couple hundred) I'd like to sell so anyone who knows, and can help identify, will get first dibs on purchasing at a great discount!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

It looks like house numbering - but at the same time the 08 and 05 make it look like its a 5 volt regulator (maybe a 7805). If you show us the circuit you found it in, you might be easily able to tell what it is. Also, if it is indeed a regulator, 

A standard 7805 e.g. from ST (got from Mouser) is numbered:
First line: L7805ACV
Second Line: GKDSL V6
Third line: CHN 506

So that tells me that the second and third lines do not really give you any helpful info. With 130 082 on the first line, it looks like it is house numbering. Now, the cheap ebay testers WILL NOT be able to tell you if this is a Regulator e.g., but if it's a Triac or transistor they will - not that that is very useful! Why don't you just start checking it out with a multimeter for diode drops etc.? BTW. if this was taken from a circuit and if you show us the circuit the part was on, it will be really easy to guess.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, the second and third aren't helpful at this point. I wish I had a reference circuit - I have 490 brand new that I'd like to figure out what to do with but I'm still stuck. Sure would be nice if the STMicro support page would respond. I've inquired twice, they update their page and say it is "assigned" but they never respond - not even an email to say they are looking into it. Doesn't say much for their customer support!!

Thanks a ton for your help and suggestions! The quest continues! 

|O

Hello again - I just had a thought that maybe an incentive would help - say a free tube of 50 with free shipping to the USA for the first person to send me the real manufacturer datasheet or a link to the real manufacturer datasheet!! I'm still hopeful that these will be found but I'm getting desperate!!

Thanks for any help!

Offline VinzC

• Regular Contributor
  • See you later, oscillator.
« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2016, 07:52:24 pm »
Any idea why all pictures in this thread appear completely scrambled to me?
I don't see any "scrambling".  Perhaps something is wrong with your browser.
I don't think there's a problem with my browser as I've just tested another one (aka Seamonkey) and the pictures appear scrambled — or should I say «deteriorated» — just like this:

Sure the pictures are more than 5 years old but even then I'd have expected a 404, not that kind of woopsie...

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #972 on: April 30, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
Yup, some of the 1st page images (probably all) are gone and those ones look like that to me as well.

The post in question is:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what's-this-please-(component-advice)/msg36696/#msg36696

Maybe some database corruption that affected some images?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #973 on: May 01, 2016, 04:44:16 am »
The ones hosted here and corrupted have a very peculiar byte distribution - e.g. here's the "unknown.jpg" linked above:
Code: [Select]
0 2541
1 1287
2 1096
3 1110
4 1093
5 1049
6 1094
7 972
8 942
9 985
10 996
11 1109
12 1078
13 0  <---
14 979
15 822
16 1005
17 991
18 1213
19 819
253 921
254 995
255 968
All the byte values show up roughly uniformly, which is normal for compressed file formats, except 13 - not a single occurrence of that in the whole file.

I saw this same corruption last year, and noted it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/forum's-posts-attachment-damaged/msg771277/#msg771277

Was an FTP backup/restore done sometime around that date? If it was, and the FTP clients' ASCII/binary setting was incorrect, it could lead to this situation. Never use ASCII mode, always binary, to avoid this issue. More info on that here:

https://blog.phpbb.com/2011/08/23/the-dangers-of-ascii-mode/

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: May 01, 2016, 06:41:51 am »
Are all the corrupted images all hosted on imgur.com? The one I looked at was.

Looks like corrupted data in a cache somewhere. Imgur sets its cache-control max-age to about 36 days in the http responses. If you wait a month or so, the pictures might come good.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf