Author Topic: Whats a good iphone app to measure cellular signal strength?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Whats a good iphone app to measure cellular signal strength?
« on: September 20, 2021, 09:53:34 pm »
I saw an app in the new eletroboom youtube video where he has an app that measures cellular signal strength and even wifi. The more technical the better. I have xfinity internet where you essentially use the closest comcast router and piggy back off their modem, a feature comcast keeps hidden but advertises as "hot spots" Its unreliable at best and the signal varies alot I would like yo figure why and how it works.  Some times its great some times it doesnt work at all and other times it will connect but have no internet connection. Anyone else use this? Im usig it until can get my own connection.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Online SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
Re: Whats a good iphone app to measure cellular signal strength?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:49:43 am »
The "Signal Strength" feature in any phone is usually very basic, often just the average amplitude at the receiver. It can be easily fooled by other signals at the same or similar frequencies since it is not a precision instrument!

I had a quick look at the available apps, there seems to be a whole plethora available - best thing would just be to try some out and see if they do what you need.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 12:34:10 pm »
The "Signal Strength" feature in any phone is usually very basic, often just the average amplitude at the receiver. It can be easily fooled by other signals at the same or similar frequencies since it is not a precision instrument!

I had a quick look at the available apps, there seems to be a whole plethora available - best thing would just be to try some out and see if they do what you need.

It's true what you say about possibly being very basic, but I've always been impressed with the literal plethora of many 'sensors'
within modern 'smart-phones' these days!!  (Altitude/Pressure, 3D orientation, 3D accelerometers etc etc). I don't know about 'iPhones',
but for Android, look at an App called 'Sensors Toolbox'. It's amazing what it can show !!   :scared:
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:30:23 am »

It's true what you say about possibly being very basic, but I've always been impressed with the literal plethora of many 'sensors'
within modern 'smart-phones' these days!!  (Altitude/Pressure, 3D orientation, 3D accelerometers etc etc). I don't know about 'iPhones',
but for Android, look at an App called 'Sensors Toolbox'. It's amazing what it can show !!   :scared:

Thats a cool tool for iphone. I downloaded some signal apps and most are just ads that you have to pay 99 cents for to unlock each feature so you pay then you try it out costs like 10 bucks per app. Really tried downloading alot and no luck so far.

The iphone 10max is a 4g phone I think but some apps will pick up 5g hexagon towers on a map. How can it do that? Or is it just a frequency they are looking for.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 09:06:03 pm »
Apple actually provides basic tools for free.

For cellular, launch the Field Test app by “dialing” the phone number *3001#12345#*.

For Wi-Fi, download Apple’s free AirPort Utility app. It contains a Wi-Fi scanner.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 05:11:27 pm »
I use an app called "phone signal" on my android phone seems to work well. Only gripe I have with it is it only works with one sim at a time so I have to disable each sim in turn, but it gives strength in db in real time as well  time up data on the signal such as speed amount of data etc. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf