Author Topic: What's a good printer for minimal usage ?  (Read 11772 times)

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Re: What's a good printer for minimal usage ?
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2023, 01:52:12 pm »
I've got 4 year old Brother Colour Laser (HL-3140CW).  It works perfectly and is still running on the factory supplied toner.  Print quality for mono is excellent, and while colour is not photo-quality, it's not bad at all!  My biggest complaint is the build quality is very optimised, a lot of plastic parts, for instance the lifting arm for the toner door is all plastic, as are all the mountings.  But for occasional use that's probably fine.

I have 2 of these, bought one new from Amazon for £95 delivered and it was so good I bought another when they were on offer again.

They take aftermarket cartridges, I just bought a set of 5 (3 colour and 2 black in one pack) for £47 - they work just as well as the original Brother ones. Don't believe the nonsense that lasers are more expensive than inkjets to run - just make sure you buy a laser that has a range of aftermarket cartridges available.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2023, 06:13:34 pm »
A few years back, I bought an HP Color Laserjet MFP M277DW for somewhere around $400, give or take.  It came with minimal capacity cartridges.  Just for demo purposes, I suppose.

A set of high yield color cartridges (3) costs $330 and the black cartridge is about $90.  These are HP cartridges.  So, figure about $420 to replace the cartridges on a $400 printer.

The good news is that this is a low use printer/scanner/copier/FAX and the cartridges are rated for about 2600 pages.  Low usage doesn't affect cartridge life or functionality.

I also have a couple of HP black/white LaserJets (P2055x and M401DW) and they are a lot more economical.

All 3 are great printers but, in terms of just cost/page, I don't recommend any of them.  But they work well and Windows discovers them and does whatever magic is required for drivers.  They are easily connected to Linux using the CUPS port 631 stuff.

I don't think you can get a lower cost printer than something like

https://www.amazon.com/HP-DeskJet-2755e-Wireless-Printer/dp/B08XYP6BJV

There are literally hundreds of printers with prices all over the map.  You will have to do your own homework.

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2023, 08:14:43 pm »
So, i'd like to play devils advocate here.
Provided you are ok with having the printer connected to the internet and setting up an HP account to use it, you should take a look at an HP instant ink printer. If you *ever* might need to print a photo or something in color, these can be a good deal, if you print very litte.

These printers start at around $50, and the smallest instant ink subscription is $0.99 per month, allowing to print 10 pages per month, and if you do not print, you can collect pages for three months.
The big advantage this has over buying cartridges normally: You do not not need to care that the ink drys up, or gets wasted with cleaning programs. Once your cartridge is near empty, you get a new one.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2023, 09:10:03 pm »
You do not not need to care that the ink drys up, or gets wasted with cleaning programs.

Until the stupid thing doesn't work when you need to use it.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2023, 07:44:26 am »
American problems :-DD

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2023, 08:05:45 am »
Printer is no work?  :-//

Maybe hardware problem that needs encouragement  >:D

After encouragement, ask EEVblog members which is good printer to buy

Printer problems resolved  :clap:

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2023, 08:42:57 am »
IMHO this BS from HP begs for a hacked printer firmware/software so you can opt-in into cheapest tier, opt out and print the rest of cartrifge for free.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2023, 08:47:36 am »
Sorry sweetie, distributing modified firmware images is copyright violation.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2023, 09:11:25 am »
Sorry sweetie, distributing modified firmware images is copyright violation.
I'm not saying what's legal according to the law. But that such BS asks for consequences. There is plenty of other hacked firmware and software even though it's illegal.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2023, 09:13:38 am »
I can't believe people still deal with HP. How quickly we forget. This is the company that remotely disabled printers just because they could when non-OEM ink cartridges were detected.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2023, 09:43:52 am »
with cheap inkjets is to replace it when it stops working, the whole printer! bin it.
who can be bothered with looking for the cartridge when the local office supplies has a printer sale 2 times a yr.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2023, 10:48:29 am »
bin it.
but don't forget to take it apart and rip the motors and other useful parts from it first.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2023, 12:36:30 pm »
I can't believe people still deal with HP. How quickly we forget. This is the company that remotely disabled printers just because they could when non-OEM ink cartridges were detected.
I still deal with HP but I'm not part of the crowd that rents a printer through buying the consumables.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2023, 01:01:38 pm »
People dismiss ink/toner subscriptions so readily, but don’t consider that for some usage patterns, they’re actually a really good deal. I’m not saying that they’re the right thing for everyone, but it’s dumb to reject them categorically without even knowing what they do.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2023, 01:04:40 pm »
So, i'd like to play devils advocate here.
Provided you are ok with having the printer connected to the internet and setting up an HP account to use it, you should take a look at an HP instant ink printer. If you *ever* might need to print a photo or something in color, these can be a good deal, if you print very litte.

These printers start at around $50, and the smallest instant ink subscription is $0.99 per month, allowing to print 10 pages per month, and if you do not print, you can collect pages for three months.
The big advantage this has over buying cartridges normally: You do not not need to care that the ink drys up, or gets wasted with cleaning programs. Once your cartridge is near empty, you get a new one.

Devils advocate indeed:
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/23/02/06/0140238/my-printer-is-extorting-me-complains-subscriber-to-hps-instant-ink-program

"Nobody told me that if I canceled, then all those cartridges would stop working," complains another owner of an HP printer cited in the article. "I guess this is our future, where your printer ink spies on you."

”Nobody told me” except for the agreement they actively agreed to when they signed up for the subscription. I mean, come on, as a consumer you have some responsibility to actually know what you agree to, not just blindly go “yeah yeah” and then get annoyed when you got (literally) exactly what you signed up for.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2023, 01:06:18 pm »
People dismiss ink/toner subscriptions so readily, but don’t consider that for some usage patterns, they’re actually a really good deal. I’m not saying that they’re the right thing for everyone, but it’s dumb to reject them categorically without even knowing what they do.
I guess this is aimed at me. I'm not saying that a subscription model is bad. But it should be clear upfront so people can make a well informed choice. With many super cheap printers where you more-or-less get the printer for free and are paying through the nose for the consumables it is absolutely not clear you are buying into a subscription. I get that people feel tricked especially when third party consumables are actively blocked because the manufacturer didn't make clear they are renting equipment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:11:18 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2023, 01:12:00 pm »
”Nobody told me” except for the agreement they actively agreed to when they signed up for the subscription. I mean, come on, as a consumer you have some responsibility to actually know what you agree to, not just blindly go “yeah yeah” and then get annoyed when you got (literally) exactly what you signed up for.

But when you invent crazy (but lucrative) business ideas, people have the right to call them stupid, at least after they find out that they have been fooled. I use to compare these business concepts to this creative idea: Monthly subscription for removal of big stones from your garden (for keeping the stones away probably; even though the work itself is done once). A fool and his money...

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2023, 01:38:36 pm »
I believe the marketing model is referred to as the "Razor and blades" model.

Razor + 1 blade = £2.99
4 replacement blades = £9.99

Lots of markets have similar.  Printer cartridges, pet supplies, air fresheners, etc. etc.

I think the people it actually works out in favour for are a very narrow band.  There will be a much wider band if "Didn't think it through, didn't read the small print, didn't do the basic maths in their head or just thought it's only a 3.99 direct debit and those cartidges are expensive."

Of course the primary threat to this model is 3rd part consumables without the excessive profit making brand mark up.  That's why they fight it so aggressively, ironically increasing EVERYONEs costs in the process.

The arrogance of these people have a thought process whereby.... if a printer cartridge costs us three times more to make and prevent counterfiets, then by increasing the product premium we increase the elasticity of the margin.  Literally elevating the price of their product to add more % on top.  It's almost back to front business logic and the only reason they can do what is normally considered monopolising in capitalist law is because they get away with it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:42:16 pm by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2023, 01:46:19 pm »
I guess this is aimed at me. I'm not saying that a subscription model is bad. But it should be clear upfront so people can make a well informed choice. With many super cheap printers where you more-or-less get the printer for free and are paying through the nose for the consumables it is absolutely not clear you are buying into a subscription. I get that people feel tricked especially when third party consumables are actively blocked because the manufacturer didn't make clear they are renting equipment.
But they are up-front about it. It’s not like you can’t use the printer without a subscription. It’s entirely up to you whether to opt into that during setup or not. And up to you whether to cancel it later and return to purchased cartridges.

(There are some large enterprise printers that exclusively use rental-only toner, IIRC. But they're models that are also only available by rental agreement, where you aren’t buying the machine at all.)

HP has a separate thing (mockingly called “HP+”) that isn’t a subscription, but an agreement to only ever use HP ink/toner, with internet access so it can update the firmware to block newer clone supplies. On LaserJets, this is actually done by selling separate, cheaper versions of the printers, just with an “e” on the end of the model number. (So you must decide before purchase whether you want HP+ or not.) On the inkjets, “e” on the model number means that it is capable of HP+, but whether or not you choose it is an irreversible decision you make during initial setup: permanently activate some extra (software) features but block third party inks, or permanently forgo it and give up those features. Unlike with the ink subscriptions, HP has earned some well-deserved criticism for this, because of not making it clear that the HP+ selection cannot be changed once made.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2023, 03:05:30 pm »
I still deal with HP but I'm not part of the crowd that rents a printer through buying the consumables.

Quite.

I'm still using an HP PSC750 inkjet printer/scanner, which I bought in, I guess, 2005.

They stopped making the cartridges about 3/4 years ago. I still have three unused black cartridges with a use-by date of mid 2022. They work fine, and I expect them to work for quite a few years. When they don't I'll consider my options.

Major problems: none. Satisfied customer.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2023, 04:05:44 pm »
This is basically what HP did back in 2016 except they implemented it by way of a software update where they very sneakily called it a "security feature".

https://gizmodo.com/hp-apologizes-for-busting-peoples-printers-on-purpose-1787230865

HP has a separate thing (mockingly called “HP+”) that isn’t a subscription, but an agreement to only ever use HP ink/toner, with internet access so it can update the firmware to block newer clone supplies. On LaserJets, this is actually done by selling separate, cheaper versions of the printers, just with an “e” on the end of the model number. (So you must decide before purchase whether you want HP+ or not.) On the inkjets, “e” on the model number means that it is capable of HP+, but whether or not you choose it is an irreversible decision you make during initial setup: permanently activate some extra (software) features but block third party inks, or permanently forgo it and give up those features. Unlike with the ink subscriptions, HP has earned some well-deserved criticism for this, because of not making it clear that the HP+ selection cannot be changed once made.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2023, 05:22:29 pm »
Yeah, I’ve wondered what extra “protection” the HP+ option employs, since I assume that even without it, at least some third party cartridges are blocked.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2023, 01:08:26 am »
Other than being full of a heap of plastic bits compared to older more solidly built Lasers, thoughts on a Brother 3230CDW Colour Laser as a sensible low use option?

The only thing I would be missing on my wish list is a scanner but I could stick the carcass of my Canon Inkjet on the shelf for the 10-20 times a year I need it I guess.

Current deal is a touch under $300 AUD with Tax and delivered (around $200 USD + Tax) and a set of 4 aftermarket Tanks is under $50 AUD when needed.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2023, 01:54:33 am »
I strongly dislike the multifunction devices that have been all the rage for the last 10 years or so. Bolt the cheapest scanner to the cheapest printer and then when one of them breaks you have to replace BOTH devices, winning! Some of them won't even scan if there are not working cartridges in the printer.

I have a standalone flatbed scanner that I get out when I need it. It's pretty ancient but works fine and was a replacement for an even more ancient scanner I retired due to lack of driver support in my OS, which itself was a replacement for an even more ancient scanner replaced for the same reason. I bought that one new way back when I got my first fast food job around the time scanners plummeted in price to around 10% of what they had always been. Even that ancient 300dpi SCSI flatbed still provided adequate performance for what I use a scanner for, and unlike a lot of modern flatbeds it could scan 3D objects with a surprising amount of depth.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2023, 01:58:05 am »

The big problem I have with it is that in the case of HP at least, once you opt into the subscription plan you cannot opt out, it makes some change to the firmware of the printer that from what I read is not possible to reverse. It is also not clear when you go to buy the thing that some models REQUIRE the subscription plan. On top of that I seem to recall that if you cancel, the ink/toner you have already received is bricked and unusable.

If it was an optional thing that one could freely opt in/out of freely then I wouldn't have an issue with it. Also given my overall experience with subscription tech/software I feel justified in rejecting such things categorically. I have a severe allergy to recurring subscription fees, there's a reason printer makers are pushing these plans and it's not because it earns them less profit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf