Poll

What's your default (or mostly used/preferable) a/v playback speed?

x1
11 (44%)
x1.25
4 (16%)
x1.5
5 (20%)
x1.75
4 (16%)
x2
1 (4%)
more than x2 speed
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What's your default (or mostly used) playback speed?  (Read 961 times)

Online RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What's your default (or mostly used) playback speed?
« on: April 22, 2021, 07:32:10 pm »
Since The Internet, multimedia video (and many times audio only, too) took over the text written format, with its pros and cons.

I've found my watching speed constantly increasing over the years, especially since youtube offers this as a standard setting (my "Enhancer for YouTube" plugin default playback speed went from 1x to 1.5x, and now to 1.7 or 2 playback speed, everything less feels painfully slow now, almost retarded).

Am I some sort of weirdo spending too much time on YouTube, or is it that many others are facing a similar behavior, and went from the default x1 speed playback to something faster?  So what's yours?  Is the increasing in audio/video playback speed a trend?

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
Re: What's your default (or mostly used) playback speed?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:03 pm »
First vote! I win a million internet points!

Online RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 07:41:01 pm »
Oh, well, it looks like 100% of the users are using x1.25 playback speed!   ;D

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:00:15 pm »
1x, but I  manually skip most of the video for majority of the channels I watch. In general I probably watch half of the video at best.There are a few channels where I watch the  whole video.
My RSS reader is blocked by the forum, so I won't be actively reading it. If you need to reach me, use email.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45, Jacon

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:16:38 pm »
7 1/2 ips on a reel to reel tape deck

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, newbrain

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 08:21:22 pm »
If it's interesting content, I watch it at 1x and skip any boring parts. If it's a boring mandatory corporate training video I watch at 1.5x or 2x depending on the speaker. I can get all of the relevant information much faster than it is presented.

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 09:16:34 pm »
I voted 1.25x, but it's more of a toss-up between 1.25x and 1.5x. It kinda depends on how fast the speaker is speaking, etc. This is for like lectures and technical content and stuff. For movies/TV stuff, I just stick to 1x, no speedup.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 10:29:38 pm »
1.x.  In rare occasions I use 1.5x or 2x, because if the video needs to be sped up it is because it is not concise enough for what I am expecting. More often I resort to 0.75x or 0.5x, if I want to quote someone word for word. Or 0.25x when I want to see the details of a scene.

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 12:12:22 am »
My default on YouTube is 1.25x, which is suitable and doesn't require extra focus for any presenter for me. Many presenters speak quite slowly though so I often use 1.5x or even 1.75x. If I'm looking for something specific and just want to absorb it as quickly as possible, then 2x, but this requires focus.

I really only watch edutainment content on YouTube, I wouldn't do this for movies or TV.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 12:23:26 am »
1x, but I  manually skip most of the video for majority of the channels I watch. In general I probably watch half of the video at best.There are a few channels where I watch the  whole video.
Same here. Videos sucks for transfer of information anyway. A book/document is way more efficient but takes more time to create (=condense the information into it's essence rather than lots of rambling).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 12:23:53 am »
It depends on the speaker but I don't think I've encountered a video where I've had to go below 1.5x; I usually start with 1.7x and move up and down as necessary. e.g. I prefer bigclivedotcom around 2x, but mikeselectricstuff at 1.5x. I watch Dave at 1.75x.

...and it does make listening to people in-person feel painfully slow, and others have to tell me to slow down. :-//

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 04:09:07 pm »
You didn't have an option for my choice: I had no idea that you could adjust the playback speed.

I have now added that app and start using it. My usual mode is to skip ahead a lot.

So many videos have slow rambling redundant content that I wonder whether they are stretching the time out to get more total minutes viewed. Or perhaps they are just clueless on how to prepare a presentation.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 01:28:10 am »
You didn't have an option for my choice: I had no idea that you could adjust the playback speed.

I have now added that app and start using it. My usual mode is to skip ahead a lot.

So many videos have slow rambling redundant content that I wonder whether they are stretching the time out to get more total minutes viewed. Or perhaps they are just clueless on how to prepare a presentation.
This happened with youtube and now with Odysee videos. Even if the title isn't full of click-bait, the content producer takes up to 2 minutes getting to #10 of his dumb top ten list.  |O
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf