Author Topic: What's your favorite calculator?  (Read 15219 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: What's your favorite calculator?
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 11:02:36 am »
Either a British Thornton AA010 comprehensive, or, if I want a spreadsheet, an HP95LX.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:34 pm »
excel
It's a beauty, does all kinds of engineering stuff.

Until you find all the issues/bugs in it.  Open/LibreOffice Calc is a lot better

You missed the point though.  Excel has enough issues/bugs that its not reliable for any kind of serious work.
YESSS   :-+

(but go for LibreOffice)

Nah. All these altoffices, i dislike them very much. They put buttons and menus in the wrong places, so it takes ages to find them. Time is money, excel is cheap. Not to mention, I can log directly into a report with a 34465A in excel. By pressing buttons. Try doing this in any of the altoffices. Or any calculator.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 12:50:51 pm »
excel

Until you find all the issues/bugs in it.  Open/LibreOffice Calc is a lot better

(but go for LibreOffice)

Nah. All these altoffices, i dislike them very much. They put buttons and menus in the wrong places, so it takes ages to find them. Time is money, excel is cheap. Not to mention, I can log directly into a report with a 34465A in excel. By pressing buttons. Try doing this in any of the altoffices. Or any calculator.

I agree. I tried many times, and after a while I just go and give money to Microsoft. I don't like them, but stuff simply works.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 10:01:16 pm »
Your fault. LibreOffice is simple to learn.  :popcorn:
 ^-^

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:19 pm »
 ^-^
LOL, thank you for calling me stupid.  :-DD

I know how to use it, and have been trying to use it on and off for many years now.
News flash , it's not me, Libre Office is stupid. As in, by not being compatible with MS Office, none of the third party stuff works, I cannot exchange files with colleagues (working on files, collaborating) etc etc. Keysight has several great plugins where you can directly connect to instruments and automate them directly from MS Office... Etc, etc.  If I lived in vacuum, and all I was doing was creating documents from the scratch and when done sending people PDFs of final documents Libre Office would be fine. But I don't.
Therefore MS Office for me.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 12:35:00 am »
 ^-^
LOL, thank you for calling me stupid.  :-DD
Yes, you are NOT stupid. You are NOT stupid. That's enough?  ^-^

I know how to use it, and have been trying to use it on and off for many years now.
News flash , it's not me, Libre Office is stupid. As in, by not being compatible with MS Office, none of the third party stuff works, I cannot exchange files with colleagues (working on files, collaborating) etc etc. Keysight has several great plugins where you can directly connect to instruments and automate them directly from MS Office... Etc, etc.  If I lived in vacuum, and all I was doing was creating documents from the scratch and when done sending people PDFs of final documents Libre Office would be fine. But I don't.
Therefore MS Office for me.
Me too, and I'm happy with LO all the years! And LO is also not stupid!  :-DD
And now?  :horse:

Belive me, that's all a subjektive perception and familiarization.
Peace ...

Edit: But stop, there is one big difference. Excel is MS(proprietary), and LO is ODF(ISO)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:51:53 am by hwj-d »

Offline hagster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 05:19:07 am »
GNU Octave

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 06:25:33 am »
Yes, you are NOT stupid. You are NOT stupid. That's enough?  ^-^
OK then. I will stop crying now...

:-+ It is nice when people have sense of humor...

Me too, and I'm happy with LO all the years! And LO is also not stupid!  :-DD
And now?  :horse:

Belive me, that's all a subjektive perception and familiarization.
Peace ...

Edit: But stop, there is one big difference. Excel is MS(proprietary), and LO is ODF(ISO)

I didn't say I LIKE it more. I don't.  If anything, I like older (menu type) interface in L.O.better. L.O. is perfectly enough for what I do, writing and calc wise..
One problem (not primary) is that Office add-ons by third parties don't work. Second (primary) is that is most of the people that I work with use MS Office. So they send me Word files that fall apart and Excel files that doesn't work all the time, and if I send them something it doesn't work for them. Then I have to be IT support for them and waste time on that too. That's it. Not even my choice, other made it for me.

Regards,

The following users thanked this post: tooki, hwj-d

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2019, 08:11:16 am »
I didn't say I LIKE it more. I don't.  If anything, I like older (menu type) interface in L.O.better. L.O. is perfectly enough for what I do, writing and calc wise..
One problem (not primary) is that Office add-ons by third parties don't work. Second (primary) is that is most of the people that I work with use MS Office. So they send me Word files that fall apart and Excel files that doesn't work all the time, and if I send them something it doesn't work for them. Then I have to be IT support for them and waste time on that too. That's it. Not even my choice, other made it for me.

Regards,
Yeah that's the trick of ms. And I'm principally not involved in that. Fortunately, I don't have an employer who forces me to that.
Thanks  :)

Offline mgscheue

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2019, 02:37:10 pm »
HP-15C.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 04:57:52 pm »
awk.

No, seriously.  I even have a bin/c script I use all the time,
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
exec awk 'function choose(n, k) { choose_r = 1; for (choose_i = 1; choose_i <= k; choose_i++) choose_r *= (n - choose_i + 1) / choose_i; return choose_r }
          function asin(arg) { return atan2(arg, sqrt(1.0 - arg*arg)) }
          function acos(arg) { return atan2(sqrt(1.0 - arg*arg), arg) }
          function atan(arg) { return atan2(arg, 1.0) }
          function tan(arg) { return sin(arg)/cos(arg) }
          function abs(arg) { if (arg < 0.0) return -arg; if (arg > 0.0) return arg; return 0 }
          function fact(n) { fact_r = 1; for (fact_i = 1; fact_i <= n; fact_i++) fact_r *= fact_i; return fact_r }
          function log10(x) { return log(x)/log(10) }
          function log2(x) { return log(x)/log(2) }
          BEGIN { Pi = PI = pi = 3.14159265358979323846 ; deg = pi/180 ; s = sprintf("%.16f", ('"$*"')); sub(/00*$/, "", s); sub(/\.$/, "", s); printf "%s\n", s }'
and for anything iterative, I often reach for awk 'BEGIN { ... }' .  I also have a few dozen manipulator scripts and programs doing range math, IEEE-754 conversions, et cetera.

For symbolic math, I use Maple or SageMath.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 05:04:56 pm »
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should  :-DD

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2019, 05:25:00 pm »
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should  :-DD
You mock me! How dare you! :scared:

No, it's just that in my typical workflow, whenever I need a quick math answer, I always have a couple of terminals already open, and it's just faster to run a script, than fire up a proper calculator GUI.  Plus, if I forget, it'll still be in my command buffer (~/.bash_history).  It's all about being lazy, and getting a reliable answer with the least amount of effort spent.

My second most favourite calculator is a piece of paper.  I don't like doing math in my head at all, but doing it on paper is fine for me.  It's like doodling on paper when I'm thinking.

Just recently I was thinking about kids having difficulty motivating themselves to remember e.g. multiplication tables or fractional multiplication in your head (like price × (1 - 0.25) for 25% off).  I thought how one wouldn't want to walk around in a store looking at your phone, tapping on it, just to understand the prices around you.  Then, I remembered that that's exactly what the kids do nowadays anyway..  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2019, 05:59:40 pm »
 :-DD I’m being a hypocrite there really as I use “dc” and awk regularly ;)

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 06:09:53 pm »
No love for Casio ClassPad series? I know a lot of folks here hate those things, but I love my CP400 and CG50 combo.
(Yeah, yeah, queue the hate comments  :D )

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 06:12:33 pm »
Theyre better than a TI nSpire!

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2019, 09:09:57 pm »
I thought how one wouldn't want to walk around in a store looking at your phone, tapping on it, just to understand the prices around you.  Then, I remembered that that's exactly what the kids do nowadays anyway..  :-//
"Smartphone smartphone in my hand, who is nicest in the land?!" ::)

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:18 pm »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2019, 08:45:44 am »
excel

(but go for LibreOffice)

Except Excel has one BIG advantage over other spreadheet programs. In Excel you can plot a graph and get it to assign a nth order equation to it. This is very useful when you want to make an equation to programmatically derive the temperature from a table published by a thermistor vendor. The equation in an embedded micro can sometimes be better and more accurate than using a lookup table. Using an equation works fabulously with Labview or C/C++/C# on a PC. I know you can also use Matlab to get an equation. Try and do that with OpenOffice or LibreOffice Calc!

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2019, 10:18:17 am »
excel

(but go for LibreOffice)

Except Excel has one BIG advantage over other spreadheet programs. In Excel you can plot a graph and get it to assign a nth order equation to it. This is very useful when you want to make an equation to programmatically derive the temperature from a table published by a thermistor vendor. The equation in an embedded micro can sometimes be better and more accurate than using a lookup table. Using an equation works fabulously with Labview or C/C++/C# on a PC. I know you can also use Matlab to get an equation. Try and do that with OpenOffice or LibreOffice Calc!

Maybe so. I probably lack the necessary awareness to be lured onto the MS agenda.  :D
(Edit: ... and I'm a MCSE, a couple of years ago)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:36:13 am by hwj-d »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2019, 09:20:39 am »
Not favourite calculator but I saw this Image and I wanted to know if any of the users know which brand is that one:

I remember having one like that at home, with a Vacuum Fluorescent Display but i don't remember if it was a HP or a Texas Instruments. Or even if it was other brand, but I remember being exactly like that one.

Unfortunately it wasn't mine, it was my uncle's one and he took it home like 25 years ago. Also I remember that I didn't work, something was broken.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2019, 09:40:31 am »
excel

(but go for LibreOffice)

Sounds like an application for curve fitting. I've done the same thing for power sensor calibration in LibreOffice. It does the usual linear, exponential and polynomial fits. The calibration constants were then cut and pasted right into the AVR code  :-//

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2019, 11:43:37 am »
I have the same TI-82 (old version) since high-school 25 years ago, my favourite as I know my way around it best. Also have a TI-89 and a couple of new HP48GX's I bought because they were selling cheap at the time (I'd still be making profit if I sold them today), never really got used to using these...

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2019, 02:18:48 pm »
Sounds like an application for curve fitting. I've done the same thing for power sensor calibration in LibreOffice. It does the usual linear, exponential and polynomial fits. The calibration constants were then cut and pasted right into the AVR code  :-//

Just use SciDavis for any kind of data representation and/or curve fitting. It's lightweight, open source, cross-platform, exports to many file formats including SVG and EPS...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2019, 04:29:57 pm »
Not favourite calculator but I saw this Image and I wanted to know if any of the users know which brand is that one:

I remember having one like that at home, with a Vacuum Fluorescent Display but i don't remember if it was a HP or a Texas Instruments. Or even if it was other brand, but I remember being exactly like that one.

Unfortunately it wasn't mine, it was my uncle's one and he took it home like 25 years ago. Also I remember that I didn't work, something was broken.

Update about this one: After a lot of search, I found the Model:

Texas Instruments TI-1250

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf