Author Topic: What's your PDF viewer/editor software of choice?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline RefrigeratorTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What's your PDF viewer/editor software of choice?
« on: November 26, 2021, 09:47:08 pm »
I've been using chrome to view datasheets but it's very limited in its capability.
I've tried a few chrome extensions but they kinda suck.
And i'm looking for free software because of course i would.  ;D ;D

There are two main things that i want to do in a PDF:
* Highlight because i often lose my track i the sea of text.
* Bookmarks because jumping between registers in micro datasheets is a major PITA.

I epecially hate when the datasheet tells you to look at figure x for whatever diagram or chart they want to show you and the text has a link that takes you to the figure, so you click the link and get teleported to an unknown location within the datasheet with no way to get back to where you were previously. So then you have to scroll and search for the spot where you were before you clicked on the link, which gets really tiresome and interruptive for my non-existent attention span. Sometimes by the time you get back to where you left you have already forgotten what the figure was about so you have to go back  |O |O
Or figure x is not a link so you have to scroll around and search for the figure otherwise you don't know what the tempco is, or the timings, or the data structure, or the block diagram of the device.  >:(

In Dave's recent jellybean video he used some kind of PDF viewer which looked pretty interesting, i wonder what it's called.
Didn't look like it needed an account or anything, i assume it's free? (i'm such a cheapskate, don't even mention it)

I'm interested to hear your opinions.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Re: What's your PDF viewer/editor software of choice?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 11:03:14 pm »
I got over pissed off with Adobe PDF viewer years ago, have been using Foxit since. It suits my needs most of the time, I'm not sure it has all the features you want though. It is free.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 11:05:07 pm »
SumatraPDF on Windows, Preview on macOS.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 08:46:07 am »
Foxit on Windows. But then I vocally hate PDF, and the viewer is in that loop so maybe part of the cause? (I don't think so though.)
By chance I happened to install the latest version of free Foxit PDF viewer on a laptop yesterday.
Apparently the free version no longer has PDF creation capability (which I never used anyway.)
The installer uses the usual weasel wording to try to get you to agree to also installing some other crap; just read that user agreement page carefully and decline all.
It has a start window with self-promoting static adverts - but they can be turned off permanently. (ask google how)
It uses the 'top ribbon' controls abomination, but you can easyily banish that.
Some space-wasting crap down the left edge of the window, also easily kicked off.
Leaving a nice clean window with no waste of screen area.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 09:13:07 am »
Qpdfview on Linux. I hardly do any serious datasheet intensive work on Windows anymore (or perhaps in a VM), so I don't know about Foxit features.. What attracted me to qpdfview is that I can simply duplicate a PDF tab, and have the same PDF document open at the same place and then scroll from there.

I got way too pissed off at the Adobe reader many moons ago that it thought sanity was only 1 reader/tab open at once per PDF file. Even web browsers would have better reading support  |O
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:14:41 am by hans »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:45:56 am »
mupdf is a lightweight PDF viewer with unobtrusive UI and fairly sophisticated navigation features based on the vi editor. That means it involves getting used to a few keyboard shortcuts, but if you aren't already familiar with vi navigation you should probably seriously reconsider your priorities in life anyway :P

Not sure what you mean by highliting, but in mupdf it probably doesn't exist - you can only select a block of text (and that disappears when you go to a different page) and search results are highlighted.

One thing that I personally miss is an ability to display two pages side by side.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 10:27:20 am »
In Dave's recent jellybean video he used some kind of PDF viewer which looked pretty interesting, i wonder what it's called.

Haven't seen that video, but in others he has used DrawboardPDF which has a free version in the Windows Store.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 01:17:59 pm »
I've used Acrobat reader for years, but with each update it is really starting to annoy me.
The latest nag on there now is when you click the rotate button it asks you to take out a subscription!
But yet you can right click and select rotate there. It does not make sense.

Following this thread for alternatives.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 01:43:36 pm »
Long-time user of pdfXchange:

https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

The paid-for version is good value, but in its free guise it is still very good. My partner uses it for for editing and even created a set of markup stamps for it which are used by other professionals. We've tried other pfd tools but they all fall behind in some way - perhaps annotations aren't editable, or they don't show contents when dragging, of they used ribbons, etc.

Speaking of which, the thing I like about it is the perpetual license (getting to be uncommon now), and the ability to have a ribbon, menu, ribbon and menu, collapsible ribbon, hidden menus, you name it and the chances are the interface can be set accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:36:52 pm by dunkemhigh »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 01:45:16 pm »
Okular.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf