General > General Technical Chat

what's your recent fail?

(1/14) > >>

exe:
Hi folks,

I just made a combo fail. One is, I assumed that in complimentary bjts (like 2n3904 and 2n3906) the smaller part number means NPN. Turned out not to be the case in case of 2SD882 (npn) and KSB772 (pnp).

The second is, I installed transistors backwards. That's because I got pinout from my new transistor tester the wrong way. Turned out contacts on the ZIF socket numbered not the way I expected.

What's your recent fail?

PS transistors and my expensive opamp which I have in single quantity (lt1468) survived the abuse thanks to limiting current when I power the circuit. The opamp tried to sink current from the output, got hot, I noticed that and fixed the circuit.

harerod:
Sadly, most likely, your poor, mistreated LT1468 will not match its spec anymore. Better get a invest 12€ in a couple of replacement with the next parts order.
But you knew that already...

exe:
Yep, measured offset is 15mV. Either it's oscillating (will check tomorrow), or I fried it. I usually buy at least two ICs of each kind to eliminate doubts when things don't work as expected, but Idk why I have only one of it.

T3sl4co1l:
Burned four old RF transistors trying to make a buffer amp with them. Seems they don't like running on the edge of ratings (which I don't have, but based on behavior they're somewhere around 20V 200mA -- TO-39 metal can, and I'd even gone to some trouble to heatsink them well!).

Tim

exe:

--- Quote from: T3sl4co1l on April 20, 2021, 08:37:58 pm ---Burned four old RF transistors trying to make a buffer amp with them. Seems they don't like running on the edge of ratings (which I don't have, but based on behavior they're somewhere around 20V 200mA -- TO-39 metal can, and I'd even gone to some trouble to heatsink them well!).

--- End quote ---

What were their part numbers, if I may ask?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version