Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 1592589 times)

0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2638
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4350 on: November 25, 2020, 09:46:18 am »
For electronics: CO2 fire extinguisher. NO ABC-powder extinguisher! Never! This thing will cause more havoc than doing any good.

For the kitchen I'd recommend a "Löschdecke", something like this:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B009HSQ5P0

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 
The following users thanked this post: syau

Offline nfmax

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1192
  • Country: gb
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4351 on: November 25, 2020, 09:48:21 am »
For electronics: CO2 fire extinguisher. NO ABC-powder extinguisher! Never! This thing will cause more havoc than doing any good.

For the kitchen I'd recommend a "Löschdecke", something like this:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B009HSQ5P0



Yes. A "Fire Blanket"
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online coppice

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6190
  • Country: gb
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4352 on: November 25, 2020, 02:08:32 pm »
Yes. A "Fire Blanket"
To keep the fire cosy and warm.
 

Offline TerraHertz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3758
  • Country: au
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4353 on: November 30, 2020, 05:37:38 am »
Woah, bad advice. The label is blue, so it's an ABC powder extinguisher. You should never have these in the kitchen or try to extinguish anything with burning fats or oil. Kitchen extinguishers need to be the wet chemical type F (yellow label). For electrical fires you use ABC Powder or CO2. You can use CO2 in the kitchen too, but it won't put out burning fat.

McBryce.

Hmm, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_dry_chemical    says ABC powder extinguishers can be used on flammable liquids.
It also says:  "ABC dry chemical is usually a mix of monoammonium phosphate and ammonium sulfate. ... Due to the corrosive properties of ABC dry chemical, it is not recommended for use around aircraft or sensitive equipment."
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org
 

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1837
  • Country: de
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4354 on: November 30, 2020, 08:43:12 am »
Yes, and on that linked page they also say that it can be used on electrical fires and that type K is for oils and fat, in fact the "K" even stands for Kitchens.

McBryce.



 

Offline trophosphere

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 230
  • Country: us
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4355 on: December 23, 2020, 10:26:48 pm »
I just finished re-organizing my work bench so all the half-finished projects are tucked away for the moment. Parts still need to be organized so I'm waiting to pull the trigger to purchase a label maker after Christmas (as to not inundate the shipping service as they are busy with more time sensitive packages).
 
The following users thanked this post: zzattack, Larryc001

Online Ed.Kloonk

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1812
  • Country: 00
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4356 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »
So that's what a clear bench looks like. Interesting.   :-\    :'(

 

Offline 0culus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2752
  • Country: us
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4357 on: December 23, 2020, 11:54:13 pm »
I just finished re-organizing my work bench so all the half-finished projects are tucked away for the moment. Parts still need to be organized so I'm waiting to pull the trigger to purchase a label maker after Christmas (as to not inundate the shipping service as they are busy with more time sensitive packages).

Sweet benches...where'd you get them?
 

Offline trophosphere

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 230
  • Country: us
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4358 on: December 24, 2020, 12:11:32 am »
Sweet benches...where'd you get them?

I got them from Uline. I believe Shahriar from The Signal Path uses the same ones. The top shelf is an accessory.
 
The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline McBryce

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1837
  • Country: de
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4359 on: December 24, 2020, 10:03:32 am »
Ooo, that reminds me, there must be wood somewhere deep under the mess on my bench. Maybe I'll use the holidays to go looking for it.

McBryce.
 

Offline mrflibble

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2025
  • Country: nl
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4360 on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:38 am »
Quote from: hapless victim
> I put the fires out.
< You made them worse!
> Worse...or BETTER?

To prevent the above conversation, ye olde bucket with dry sand still has its uses against small fires. Does the trick for both oil & electrical. Plus has a looooow inspection requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_bucket
 

Offline SeanB

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15466
  • Country: za
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4361 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:22 pm »
Got the fire blanket, plus a few old Halon 1211 extinguishers that were no longer wanted, plus some small dry powder extinguishers. Should put out any fire. fire blanket is by the kitchen door, along with the one dry powder, and the halons are scattered around where needed, just about one per room.

Yes I have been on a few fire fighting courses.......... Best part is lighting that drum of old petrol and diesel off. Was looking to see if they had any old Kidde CO2 extinguishers, because those have an interesting issue with static build up, due to the horn being non conductive, and building up a massive static charge. Put the fire out, and then light it again when you put the extinguisher down and it arcs over to the ground.
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online elador

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
    • bloggy
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4362 on: January 15, 2021, 10:10:07 am »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd

added photos of the lab along the years most of the unused equipment was donated to the local hackerspace
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:14:17 pm by elador »
 

Offline DL8RI

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 182
  • Country: de
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4363 on: January 17, 2021, 04:25:15 pm »
Is the small Keithley also one of the 2400-SMUs like the bigger older ones (236)?
Still looking for one to accompany my Tek 576, but the 2400-series is so horribly pricey (and rare).
 

Online SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3833
  • Country: 00
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4364 on: January 17, 2021, 11:17:03 pm »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd


I have a Dazor lamp, just like yours -  recently refurbished with new wiring, as the old stuff was shorting out when I moved it around!  :D
 

Online elador

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
    • bloggy
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4365 on: January 18, 2021, 12:26:53 am »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd


I have a Dazor lamp, just like yours -  recently refurbished with new wiring, as the old stuff was shorting out when I moved it around!  :D

yeap new wiring and two high intensity led stripes :-)
also a nice hack is the laptop arm i used an old crt tv arm it keeps my laptops safe from the mess i actually have three of those in use
you can also use it for other instruments scope fg ps etc
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:43:16 am by elador »
 

Online Bud

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4617
  • Country: ca
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4366 on: January 18, 2021, 01:01:39 am »
When was the last time you swept the floor?  >:D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
 

Online elador

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
    • bloggy
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4367 on: January 18, 2021, 01:54:32 am »
When was the last time you swept the floor?  >:D

good catch :-)
never but ill have to do it soon relocating
i think the only thing that keeps the center of the room clean is the wheels of the chair
 

Online SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3833
  • Country: 00
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4368 on: January 18, 2021, 02:36:46 am »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd


I have a Dazor lamp, just like yours -  recently refurbished with new wiring, as the old stuff was shorting out when I moved it around!  :D

yeap new wiring and two high intensity led stripes :-)
also a nice hack is the laptop arm i used an old crt tv arm it keeps my laptops safe from the mess i actually have three of those in use
you can also use it for other instruments scope fg ps etc

Very cool mod for the lamp!  I was thinking of putting in LED tube replacement, but went with the old style fluorescent tubes in the end - nothing like tube technology! :D

I also use monitor arms to keep stuff raised above my (very cramped) desk.  One of the best projects I ever did.

That Signametrics card looks interesting - never seen one of those before -  is there any software for it that runs on a modern OS?
 

Online elador

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
    • bloggy
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4369 on: January 18, 2021, 02:53:36 am »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd


I have a Dazor lamp, just like yours -  recently refurbished with new wiring, as the old stuff was shorting out when I moved it around!  :D

yeap new wiring and two high intensity led stripes :-)
also a nice hack is the laptop arm i used an old crt tv arm it keeps my laptops safe from the mess i actually have three of those in use
you can also use it for other instruments scope fg ps etc

Very cool mod for the lamp!  I was thinking of putting in LED tube replacement, but went with the old style fluorescent tubes in the end - nothing like tube technology! :D

I also use monitor arms to keep stuff raised above my (very cramped) desk.  One of the best projects I ever did.

That Signametrics card looks interesting - never seen one of those before -  is there any software for it that runs on a modern OS?

cant really remember bought it long time ago (priced right for 7.5 digit with cal less then a hundred if i recall correctly) i think it has its own sw
bottom right is MC68HC705C oldie check out this mag rip for a nostalgic moment http://docshare01.docshare.tips/files/18041/180419766.pdf
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:22:47 am by elador »
 
The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Online Vgkid

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2611
  • Country: us
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4370 on: January 19, 2021, 09:15:09 am »
Elador:
What is the piece of gear that is 3/4u high with the white front , and blue line across the bottom?
Pretty neat about the signametrics dmm.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan
 

Online elador

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
    • bloggy
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4371 on: January 19, 2021, 10:40:29 am »
[attach=2]
Elador:
What is the piece of gear that is 3/4u high with the white front , and blue line across the bottom?
Pretty neat about the signametrics dmm.
spectrometer and deuterium halogen light source
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:13:24 pm by elador »
 

Offline lukego

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 253
  • Country: se
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4372 on: January 19, 2021, 02:11:34 pm »
My lab used to be one desk in the corner of a room but now I've expanded it into its own (small) room. I seem to have everything that I need now and also a space to put it. (That's aside from the tm220a pick'n'place machine that was gifted to me but I still don't have anywhere to put.)
 
The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online SilverSolder

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3833
  • Country: 00
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4373 on: January 19, 2021, 04:43:00 pm »
My lab used to be one desk in the corner of a room but now I've expanded it into its own (small) room. I seem to have everything that I need now and also a space to put it. (That's aside from the tm220a pick'n'place machine that was gifted to me but I still don't have anywhere to put.)

I like that you have a fire extinguisher in the lab - great idea!
 

Offline Yansi

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3658
  • Country: 00
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4374 on: January 19, 2021, 04:53:21 pm »
My lab used to be one desk in the corner of a room but now I've expanded it into its own (small) room. I seem to have everything that I need now and also a space to put it. (That's aside from the tm220a pick'n'place machine that was gifted to me but I still don't have anywhere to put.)

I like that you have a fire extinguisher in the lab - great idea!

In the worst possible place under the ceiling.

(the place that in case of fire first get temperature increase to unbearable levels and fills with smoke so you can't even locate it.)

Put it on the floor near the doors!
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf