Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306118 times)

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4800 on: December 03, 2023, 04:38:22 pm »
Thank you. Unfortunately the PC monitor mounting didn't work out and I'm waiting for a new mounting plate from the factory. In the meantime, it is chaos, I cannot do anything on the bench or set up my gear, since I need the monitor for my job and it takes up a lot of space. I would prefer not to have a PC or monitor there at all, but I like paying the bills on time.  :phew:

I'll post another picture when it is actually a workbench instead of the current status of junk pile  |O
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

The following users thanked this post: Edison

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4801 on: December 03, 2023, 06:14:27 pm »
Thank you. Unfortunately the PC monitor mounting didn't work out and I
Well that's nice,manufacturing error, or something went wrong during assembly🤔 
I have a NeoFlex arm for my monitor and I made an atypical 130% extendable frame for the keyboard (to fit in the workplace, I also have a extendable and rotating Tektronix oscilloscope) there are photos somewhere, I think it starts on page 139 and then goes continuous development of the workplace, today it looks completely different than at the beginning.
So I hope that the part you need will arrive soon and you will be able to create.

Nice day 🙂 Tom
Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

The following users thanked this post: audiotubes

Offline DMartens

• Contributor
« Reply #4802 on: December 04, 2023, 03:34:11 pm »
Anyone who has pics of their labs specifically concentrating on your wires, leads, cables, spools etc? Showing your clever/good/efficient/clean ways of storing/managing/hanging them? How do you prevent them from getting all tangled up? How do you organize them?

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4803 on: December 04, 2023, 04:44:21 pm »
I live in a single wide mobile home.

And this is my balcony. Eventually will open office, but no more 2nd and above floors, first floor. If it's not 1st floor you not making money.

Station is Aoyue 2703A+, have to get it something with smaller tips and more powerful hot air.
DMM is Uni-T, the new one and OWON. 41T+
Owon PSU
LCR meter
Microscope
Owon oscilloscope 200 Mhz, I have Siglent coming.. Already ordered it in the U.S., someone will bring it to me soon.
I still have to buy ultra sound and display separating hot plate.
Plus I have to get a new chair, because with this one I have to use 0.5 barlow, otherwise my back hurts. 
Xgecu T48 with adapters. Will eventually get Ennt2 for EMMC.

Target is smart phones, tablets, notebooks.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 04:46:54 pm by u666sa »

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #4804 on: December 04, 2023, 08:54:48 pm »
Anyone who has pics of their labs specifically concentrating on your wires, leads, cables, spools etc? Showing your clever/good/efficient/clean ways of storing/managing/hanging them? How do you prevent them from getting all tangled up? How do you organize them?

OK, so I took a walk around the bench. Holders on the scope are 3D printed with 3M double sided tape.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #4805 on: December 04, 2023, 09:32:03 pm »
Also giant paper clips to temporary route wires along the edges of the bench as well as coat hangers for wires.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 09:33:58 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4806 on: December 24, 2023, 08:25:23 pm »
Burned most of the day trying to get this in order. Mostly done...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 08:33:58 pm by audiotubes »
I have taken apart more gear than many people. But I have put less gear back together than most people. So there is still room for improvement.

The following users thanked this post: Edison

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4807 on: December 24, 2023, 08:51:24 pm »
Missed chance for a recursive desktop wallpaper there ;)

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4808 on: December 24, 2023, 09:27:51 pm »
Missed chance for a recursive desktop wallpaper there ;)

Hah yeah, it took me a dozen tries to get the picture to attach this time for some reason. After it finally worked, I couldn't take a chance changing it.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4809 on: December 25, 2023, 08:49:40 am »
Hah yeah, it took me a dozen tries to get the picture to attach this time for some reason. After it finally worked, I couldn't take a chance changing it.

Well, you filled it up nicely, I see that you slowly have less space to work with than I do

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4810 on: December 25, 2023, 08:56:00 am »
So I made myself happy and bought a Keithley 2015 and also created an extension of the generator outputs 🤔 I really can't fit anything here anymore 😂

Merry Christmas everyone 🎄

Offline nonlinearschool

• Contributor
  • Electrons evade me...
« Reply #4811 on: December 25, 2023, 09:23:52 am »
3 months ago my lab appeared as shown..........

Moved to a new location. After nearly 2 months part time work my new lab is complete.

WOW! That's an entire ROOM!!!!
My lab is right now is essentially two large Ryobi duffle bags

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4812 on: December 25, 2023, 10:27:03 am »

Well, some have space and unfortunately some don't 🤪

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4813 on: December 25, 2023, 12:50:16 pm »

Well, you filled it up nicely, I see that you slowly have less space to work with than I do

It's ok, I also have less electronics skill and knowledge than you do. So the ratio remains acceptable :D

Offline granzeier

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4814 on: December 25, 2023, 02:16:52 pm »
In the book Building Your Own Electronics Lab A Guide to Setting Up Your Own Gadget Workshop (https://pdfroom.com/books/building-your-own-electronics-lab-a-guide-to-setting-up-your-own-gadget-workshop/9qXgeRNe26P/download - click the download button, close out the new tab, and click the download button again) the author covers setting up a couple different shops. In chapter four (page 130 of the PDF,) he covers a portable lab which sounds kind of like your duffel bags, except in a briefcase. You may be able to get some ideas to help make your current system a bit easier to use. If you have a small table that you can dedicate to a lab. chapter five (page 154 of the PDF) goes over taking a tiny table (looks like a single-person table) and turning it into a well-organized lab - page 166 of the PDF shows the completed lab. It's pretty nice, and looks simple enough.

Shameless plug: If you are looking for portable workstation, I did a project where I created a tiny lab, about the size of a three-ring binder notebook. I go over quite a bit of ideas, and show how to build something similar at http://zappbots.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=327&sid=16271453f9ef60ddf3bbc2e9f087a9af. If you have any questions about it (or any of my other projects there) you can just send a PM to ZappMan, and he will grant you posting privileges.

Looking back through this thread, there are lots of pictures, and ideas, for tiny work-centers similar to the ones presented in the above mentioned book in chapter five. Go back and you will definitely find ideas to make your lab.

PS Hack-A-Day just had a article (https://hackaday.com/2023/12/24/hidden-wall-mount-table-looks-like-hanging-art/) about a simple wall unit which you may be able to adapt to a hiding lab (if you are able to mount things on your wall.)

The following users thanked this post: exor, audiotubes

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4815 on: December 25, 2023, 06:41:01 pm »
It's ok, I also have less electronics skill and knowledge than you do. So the ratio remains acceptable :D

I thought you would attach the measuring equipment to the back panel above the worktop.
🤔 How do you know how much knowledge I have 🤔 maybe I'm completely stupid 😂

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4816 on: December 25, 2023, 08:40:53 pm »
I thought you would attach the measuring equipment to the back panel above the worktop.

I'm not sure it would help much unless it was high off the worktop. I am not sure how much weight the panels can hold. There are no struts, it is essentially free standing, bolted at the bottom with three brackets to the desktop and six bolts to two legs and the frame. It seems stable with reasonable weight but if overloaded, the legs would bash the wal behind it. The apartment owner would be sad... If it was my house I would arrange it differently but for now it's ok.

🤔 How do you know how much knowledge I have 🤔 maybe I'm completely stupid 😂

Well, I can see from your lab you were able to get your new Keithley under a stack of gear without destroying anything ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 09:41:10 pm by audiotubes »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4817 on: January 02, 2024, 07:33:15 pm »
Bonjour, sorry for the mess been REAL busy!

Your comments appreciated

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4818 on: January 08, 2024, 02:50:47 am »
Vertical O-scopes?  :o
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4819 on: January 08, 2024, 05:09:46 am »
It's probably better for cooling than stacking them. It would give me a pain in the neck from turning my head though. A lot of older analog scopes had extra tall feet on the back so they could be used when stood face up on the floor. My old Tek 2247 is made like that.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4820 on: January 09, 2024, 11:25:50 am »

Well, I can see from your lab you were able to get your new Keithley under a stack of gear without destroying anything ;)

But those are mechanical skills, not electronic ones 😂

Personally, I would create an auxiliary ramp, for example, from an aluminum multi-functional structure to support the shelves and anchor it directly to the sides of the table, so the back wall would not be stressed by the weight of the devices on the shelves, but only for the cut and it must hold. The working space would thus be greatly increased.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4821 on: January 09, 2024, 09:30:14 pm »
Vertical O-scopes?  :o

Just say no to... Vertical Oscilloscopes!?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Swake, AndersJ, Edison

Offline audiotubes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4822 on: January 10, 2024, 07:35:47 pm »
Personally, I would create an auxiliary ramp, for example, from an aluminum multi-functional structure to support the shelves and anchor it directly to the sides of the table, so the back wall would not be stressed by the weight of the devices on the shelves, but only for the cut and it must hold. The working space would thus be greatly increased.

That's interesting but maybe my setup is better for me. I will run out of space and therefore I will save money on new equipment which I will not buy.

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4823 on: January 11, 2024, 10:03:49 am »

That's interesting but maybe my setup is better for me. I will run out of space and therefore I will save money on new equipment which I will not buy.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, and look how it turned out 😂 Tetris and there's no place to put three things 🤣
That workplace lives a life of its own, suddenly you find out that you need this and that and you are already combining and rearranging...
Fortunately for me, I don't do RF technology, that would be another set of measuring devices and since my workplace is in the corner of our bedroom, I would have to put it on the bed and sleep standing up 🤣

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4824 on: January 11, 2024, 11:21:58 pm »
The growth continues with an expansion wing on the left side of the bench.  I’m trying to use up my stash of 80/20 extrusion.

There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Edison

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf