Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2298123 times)

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4325 on: December 23, 2020, 10:26:48 pm »
I just finished re-organizing my work bench so all the half-finished projects are tucked away for the moment. Parts still need to be organized so I'm waiting to pull the trigger to purchase a label maker after Christmas (as to not inundate the shipping service as they are busy with more time sensitive packages).

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000, zzattack, Larryc001, Atomillo

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4326 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »
So that's what a clear bench looks like. Interesting.   :-\    :'(

iratus parum formica

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #4327 on: December 23, 2020, 11:54:13 pm »
I just finished re-organizing my work bench so all the half-finished projects are tucked away for the moment. Parts still need to be organized so I'm waiting to pull the trigger to purchase a label maker after Christmas (as to not inundate the shipping service as they are busy with more time sensitive packages).

Sweet benches...where'd you get them?

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4328 on: December 24, 2020, 12:11:32 am »
Sweet benches...where'd you get them?

I got them from Uline. I believe Shahriar from The Signal Path uses the same ones. The top shelf is an accessory.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4329 on: December 24, 2020, 10:03:32 am »
Ooo, that reminds me, there must be wood somewhere deep under the mess on my bench. Maybe I'll use the holidays to go looking for it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4330 on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:38 am »
Quote from: hapless victim
> I put the fires out.
< You made them worse!
> Worse...or BETTER?

To prevent the above conversation, ye olde bucket with dry sand still has its uses against small fires. Does the trick for both oil & electrical. Plus has a looooow inspection requirement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_bucket

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4331 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:22 pm »
Got the fire blanket, plus a few old Halon 1211 extinguishers that were no longer wanted, plus some small dry powder extinguishers. Should put out any fire. fire blanket is by the kitchen door, along with the one dry powder, and the halons are scattered around where needed, just about one per room.

Yes I have been on a few fire fighting courses.......... Best part is lighting that drum of old petrol and diesel off. Was looking to see if they had any old Kidde CO2 extinguishers, because those have an interesting issue with static build up, due to the horn being non conductive, and building up a massive static charge. Put the fire out, and then light it again when you put the extinguisher down and it arcs over to the ground.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline elor

• Contributor
    • bloggy
« Reply #4332 on: January 15, 2021, 10:10:07 am »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd

added photos of the lab along the years most of the unused equipment was donated to the local hackerspace
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:14:17 pm by elador »

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4333 on: January 17, 2021, 04:25:15 pm »
Is the small Keithley also one of the 2400-SMUs like the bigger older ones (236)?
Still looking for one to accompany my Tek 576, but the 2400-series is so horribly pricey (and rare).

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4334 on: January 17, 2021, 11:17:03 pm »
everything was bought for parts as is and in not working condition locally or trough epay / assorted auction sites
fix repair success rate is about 90% when beyond economic repair is the rest 10%
overall its a never ending chase for the next missing gear at least for this moment
to be honest i mostly using a multimeter soldering iron and a power supply for most of my repairs
the rest of the gear get some use when i need to build something or just play for fun
last photo is the unusual thing that moves from one side of the table to the other waiting for its time to join the rest of the electronics herd

I have a Dazor lamp, just like yours -  recently refurbished with new wiring, as the old stuff was shorting out when I moved it around!  :D

Offline elor

• Contributor
    • bloggy
« Reply #4335 on: January 18, 2021, 12:26:53 am »

I have a Dazor lamp, just like yours -  recently refurbished with new wiring, as the old stuff was shorting out when I moved it around!  :D

yeap new wiring and two high intensity led stripes :-)
also a nice hack is the laptop arm i used an old crt tv arm it keeps my laptops safe from the mess i actually have three of those in use
you can also use it for other instruments scope fg ps etc
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:43:16 am by elador »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4336 on: January 18, 2021, 01:01:39 am »
When was the last time you swept the floor?  >:D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline elor

• Contributor
    • bloggy
« Reply #4337 on: January 18, 2021, 01:54:32 am »
When was the last time you swept the floor?  >:D

good catch :-)
never but ill have to do it soon relocating
i think the only thing that keeps the center of the room clean is the wheels of the chair

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4338 on: January 18, 2021, 02:36:46 am »

also a nice hack is the laptop arm i used an old crt tv arm it keeps my laptops safe from the mess i actually have three of those in use

Very cool mod for the lamp!  I was thinking of putting in LED tube replacement, but went with the old style fluorescent tubes in the end - nothing like tube technology! :D

I also use monitor arms to keep stuff raised above my (very cramped) desk.  One of the best projects I ever did.

That Signametrics card looks interesting - never seen one of those before -  is there any software for it that runs on a modern OS?

Offline elor

• Contributor
    • bloggy
« Reply #4339 on: January 18, 2021, 02:53:36 am »

Very cool mod for the lamp!  I was thinking of putting in LED tube replacement, but went with the old style fluorescent tubes in the end - nothing like tube technology! :D

I also use monitor arms to keep stuff raised above my (very cramped) desk.  One of the best projects I ever did.

That Signametrics card looks interesting - never seen one of those before -  is there any software for it that runs on a modern OS?

cant really remember bought it long time ago (priced right for 7.5 digit with cal less then a hundred if i recall correctly) i think it has its own sw
bottom right is MC68HC705C oldie check out this mag rip for a nostalgic moment http://docshare01.docshare.tips/files/18041/180419766.pdf
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:22:47 am by elador »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, bd139

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4340 on: January 19, 2021, 09:15:09 am »
Elador:
What is the piece of gear that is 3/4u high with the white front , and blue line across the bottom?
Pretty neat about the signametrics dmm.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline elor

• Contributor
    • bloggy
« Reply #4341 on: January 19, 2021, 10:40:29 am »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
Elador:
What is the piece of gear that is 3/4u high with the white front , and blue line across the bottom?
Pretty neat about the signametrics dmm.
spectrometer and deuterium halogen light source
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:13:24 pm by elador »

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4342 on: January 19, 2021, 02:11:34 pm »
My lab used to be one desk in the corner of a room but now I've expanded it into its own (small) room. I seem to have everything that I need now and also a space to put it. (That's aside from the tm220a pick'n'place machine that was gifted to me but I still don't have anywhere to put.)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4343 on: January 19, 2021, 04:43:00 pm »
My lab used to be one desk in the corner of a room but now I've expanded it into its own (small) room. I seem to have everything that I need now and also a space to put it. (That's aside from the tm220a pick'n'place machine that was gifted to me but I still don't have anywhere to put.)

I like that you have a fire extinguisher in the lab - great idea!

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4344 on: January 19, 2021, 04:53:21 pm »

In the worst possible place under the ceiling.

(the place that in case of fire first get temperature increase to unbearable levels and fills with smoke so you can't even locate it.)

Put it on the floor near the doors!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4345 on: January 19, 2021, 04:54:33 pm »

What is the optimal location for it?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4346 on: January 19, 2021, 05:10:39 pm »

I'd think on the wall near the door that you'd be running for if things get out of hand.  That way you're headed in the right direction and can decide on the way if it's best to unass the vicinity, or turn and fight.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4347 on: January 19, 2021, 05:37:54 pm »

Beside the exit at door handle height. It'll be the last thing you grab before you have to leave... Or the first thing you need when you walk into a room full of flames...

McBryce.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:41:30 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4348 on: January 19, 2021, 06:35:09 pm »

Put it on the floor near the doors!

That's where I have it now. In the photo it is not yet "in service" because I hadn't looked into safely using a CO2 extinguisher. It's nontrivial and carries risk of asphyxiation or frostbite from misuse.

Offline Pawelr98

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4349 on: January 20, 2021, 03:13:34 am »
1154586-0
Added a small LED bar at the top of the bench to improve visibility.

And this little S1-107 scope is quite useful, sometimes even more useful than the other, much better scopes.
5MHz single channel is not much. However this thing can run on 27V DC, allowing measurements of floating potentials (well, mains are internally isolated too, but I wouldn't want to stress the isolation) like for example VFD's, welders etc.
This thing also comes with 20V/div setting which means it can display a full 1200Vpp signal on the screen using ordinary 10X probe. My two other scopes (schlumberger 5228 and Tek TBS1042) can only do 400Vpp on 10X.
Quite useful for that last 150-200V extra when measuring flyback primary overshoot.
1154590-1
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:15:32 am by Pawelr98 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf