Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2295344 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4425 on: April 24, 2021, 01:54:04 pm »
I got it from a place called Wayfair.com on eBay around 10 years ago for about $170. It's an Aven Inc. #26516-D155 "Magna Deluxe 20" Fluorescent Lamp". Unfortunately, I don't think it's available any more.

This is not where I spent my first 10 years as an electronics hobbyist. That bench was in an even smaller closet. Unfortunately I have no photos of it.

Can you tell me where you got the lamp that is mounted on the wall?

Looks like a modern version of the classic Dazor...    I have the Dazor in my lab, super practical and ultra cool retro! 

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4426 on: April 28, 2021, 06:24:29 pm »
Regarding wall or ceiling mounted spring mounts for lights (and other bits and pieces), it's something I've been on the look out for for a while. They're the only thing that interests me about the dentists.

Pretty much all reasonably priced mounts are designed for desk mounting.

So I'm up for suggestions, including modification options from the more mechanically minded among us.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4427 on: April 28, 2021, 07:13:21 pm »
Regarding wall or ceiling mounted spring mounts for lights (and other bits and pieces), it's something I've been on the look out for for a while. They're the only thing that interests me about the dentists.

So I'm up for suggestions, including modification options from the more mechanically minded among us.

A nice sturdy 90 degree bent piece of 1/4 in steel should do the trick?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4428 on: April 28, 2021, 11:14:34 pm »

A nice sturdy 90 degree bent piece of 1/4 in steel should do the trick?

The problem is that the springs and joints aren't designed to work at any level other than about desk height, and the springs are setup for gravity in one direction only. Once you raise the base, the lamp itself won't reach down. It needs fettling of some sort on the spring arm itself.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, szszoke

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #4429 on: May 12, 2021, 07:52:15 pm »
It's quite some time ago that I've posted some pictures of my lab, so here's
a rather rare view of my lab (with all the usual clutter removed):

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, edavid, Cubdriver, med6753, exor, bd139, Trader

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4430 on: May 12, 2021, 08:05:10 pm »
It's quite some time ago that I've posted some pictures of my lab, so here's
a rather rare view of my lab (with all the usual clutter removed):

That is a very tidy setup, Captain.  I use the same idea with a table in front of a shelf arrangement, it is unbeatable for flexibility (and exercise, when you get to crawl around on the floor digging stuff out).

I have my shelves about 60cm - 70cm away from the wall, so I can walk behind the shelving (open at the back) which makes it easier to connect cables to the back of the instruments.

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #4431 on: May 12, 2021, 08:21:59 pm »

That is a very tidy setup, Captain.  I use the same idea with a table in front of a shelf arrangement, it is unbeatable for flexibility (and exercise, when you get to crawl around on the floor digging stuff out).

I have my shelves about 60cm - 70cm away from the wall, so I can walk behind the shelving (open at the back) which makes it easier to connect cables to the back of the instruments.

Thanks!

Yes, there's space behind the shelves, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:24:21 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline CompNut

« Reply #4432 on: May 12, 2021, 11:53:48 pm »
A few older shop pictures.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder, capt bullshot, exor

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #4433 on: May 13, 2021, 10:30:57 am »

Ack! Here I am preparing to set up a new lab space in a spare room, and I hadn't thought of that. There _is_ room.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4434 on: May 13, 2021, 01:35:22 pm »

Ack! Here I am preparing to set up a new lab space in a spare room, and I hadn't thought of that. There _is_ room.

I have been so happy with it....    it makes it easy enough to reconfigure boat anchor test equipment for different projects that it doesn't act as a "barrier to entry" to try some crazy idea...   

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #4435 on: May 13, 2021, 07:58:28 pm »

Please tell me more about the surface. Is this carpet on the desk?  :-+
What is the benefit? No scratches on a case surface? No sweaty arms sticking to the desk?
What about scorched areas around the solder iron?

Cheers
hammy

Offline CompNut

« Reply #4436 on: May 14, 2021, 02:34:43 am »

Please tell me more about the surface. Is this carpet on the desk?  :-+
What is the benefit? No scratches on a case surface? No sweaty arms sticking to the desk?
What about scorched areas around the solder iron?

Cheers
hammy

Is works well for working on expensive electronics, no scratches etc.  Also screws and parts will not roll of the bench.  I haven't had any problems with burnt areas around the soldering station and have been doing carpet for years on my benches.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4437 on: May 14, 2021, 04:52:34 am »
I inquired the Admin team regarding this:

I'm currently the top moderator in a subreddit called MakerLabStations (https://www.reddit.com/r/MakerLabStations/) that is what this thread is but in the reddit website.

Currently is a small subreddit, with less than 2.5k users (since creation in September 2020), and no more than 20 or 30 posts. As solo moderator I can say that the requests for moderation are based in 5 or 6 in the total life of the subreddit, with one banned user because of continuous self promotion without further interaction other than promoting his own Youtube channel. So people there are well mannered and the conversation don't derail from the objective of it (plus the rules are kinda self explanatory regarding politics and off topic).

I would ask kindly if any user for some reason have a reddit account could post there their own LabStation, kinda like is done here and subscribe to it please. It would help to grow it and create a lot more diversity in the posts (and serve the subreddit to more people by being show in the side bar, kinda like Youtube serves your videos the more interaction you have with your own community and views). If not then is OK anyway, no hard feelings.

Thank you for the time taken to read this request.

The following users thanked this post: mindcrime

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4438 on: May 14, 2021, 09:32:49 am »
I have often thought that covering walls with carpet would be a great idea. The problem with carpeted bench tops that I would be concerned about is static electricity.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4439 on: May 15, 2021, 08:04:58 pm »
An old TV repairman's trick. You often want to put the CRT face down, and carpet on the bench saves it getting scratched.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #4440 on: May 15, 2021, 10:59:44 pm »
An old TV repairman's trick. You often want to put the CRT face down, and carpet on the bench saves it getting scratched.

That approach sure helped mummify this old Apple monitor.

Been meaning to ask. Does anyone know the specifics of the faulty diode?

iratus parum formica

Offline Pawelr98

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4441 on: May 18, 2021, 12:40:04 am »
I have often thought that covering walls with carpet would be a great idea. The problem with carpeted bench tops that I would be concerned about is static electricity.

You would be copying the Russians in that regard.
They are most known for this trend of putting carpets on the walls.
Also this trend did spread across the entire eastern bloc, even my grandparents had carpets on the walls.

My old-new equipment addition.
I decided to rebuild my PL504 + PCF82 150-400V 100mA power supply.
Panel meters (voltmeter is 100V shifted) from USSR, a metal case and some small changes in the construction like stabilised 100V PCF82 pentode cathode bias.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4442 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:29 am »
I will probably repeat myself, but construction like this isdangerous.  You have exposed unprotected very high surface temperatures (well, obviously the tubes are exposed poking outside). You can not only injure yourself by accidentally touching it, you could start a fire when something flammable will touch it.
Broken glass envelope also makes for an accessible high voltages. to the touch.

Please, do not build instrumentation like this. Hide the tubes inside, or make covers for them.

I know I sound like some safety nazi, but no, this is just simple and practical thinking.

And lastly - you just can't put any other instrument on top of this one - think about your future lab growth :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:44:30 am by Yansi »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4443 on: May 18, 2021, 02:53:35 pm »
I will probably repeat myself, but construction like this isdangerous.  You have exposed unprotected very high surface temperatures (well, obviously the tubes are exposed poking outside). You can not only injure yourself by accidentally touching it, you could start a fire when something flammable will touch it.
Broken glass envelope also makes for an accessible high voltages. to the touch.

Please, do not build instrumentation like this. Hide the tubes inside, or make covers for them.

I know I sound like some safety nazi, but no, this is just simple and practical thinking.

And lastly - you just can't put any other instrument on top of this one - think about your future lab growth :)

There's some people you need to advise over on the Audio and HiFi Forums...

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4444 on: May 18, 2021, 09:23:16 pm »
Well, if you look at professionally made amplifiers, they all have covers. They must have. Otherwise, they are unlikely to be certified as safe to use.  Sometimes, you can dismantle covers to experience the warmth of the sound, but that is on your own risk.

For showing off and impressing your friends with an t00b amplifier, I can kind of tolerate, but for a general purpose lab instrument - hide the tube inside, make the instrument inherently idiotensicher und bombenfest.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4445 on: May 18, 2021, 09:48:58 pm »
Well, if you look at professionally made amplifiers, they all have covers. They must have. Otherwise, they are unlikely to be certified as safe to use.
I have seen some exotic tube amps with no cover at all. I have no idea how the reach showrooms, because they look very unsafe.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #4446 on: May 18, 2021, 10:27:08 pm »

For showing off and impressing your friends with an t00b amplifier, I can kind of tolerate, but for a general purpose lab instrument - hide the tube inside, make the instrument inherently idiotensicher und bombenfest.

Oh hell, let them show and glow.  ;D If you go sticking your fingers in there it's your own fault.  :P

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Cubdriver

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4447 on: May 18, 2021, 11:22:31 pm »
Commercial tube amps usually come with cages or covers to protect the tubes. But they often seem made to be easily removable to show off the tubes.

Well, if you look at professionally made amplifiers, they all have covers. They must have. Otherwise, they are unlikely to be certified as safe to use.
I have seen some exotic tube amps with no cover at all. I have no idea how the reach showrooms, because they look very unsafe.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4448 on: May 19, 2021, 01:14:06 am »

I like Luxo magnifying lamps. They have better springs and joints than the typical cheap mounts, and stay in place better. I've got about 4 of them in one form or another, and they all have a simple post about 1/2" diameter at the fixed end.  This can be pushed into a floor base, a shelf clamp or a wall bracket. They're very popular in the medical world and at least  a couple of mine are ex-hospital. I think they're the industrial side of the well known Anglepoise company.

I'd suggest you look out for one of these - or even buy one new, the latest mag lamp is rectangular and huge .

Another option (and perhaps also a source for ex-hospital lamps) is an operating theatre lamp. Tend to be a bit big and hot but you might find something suitable. Keep an eye on Hilditch auctioneers, and ideally visit a general auction there in person once that's allowed again.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4449 on: May 19, 2021, 06:50:45 am »
Sometimes, you can dismantle covers to experience the warmth of the sound, but that is on your own risk.

You're drifting into Audiophoolery territory here! :D Or are you joking?

As for the test equipment: The equipment is meant for people who know what they are doing. If exposed tubes are a danger to the person, maybe the person shouldn't be near electronics at all. It's like putting guardrails around the edge of an Olympic swimming pool in case the competitors fall in and drown.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mindcrime

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf