Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2284432 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4475 on: May 26, 2021, 08:38:33 pm »

It is surprisingly handy to have a bed near the lab area...  for when you realize it's 4am and u need a break!  :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #4476 on: May 26, 2021, 08:40:09 pm »

It is surprisingly handy to have a bed near the lab area...  for when you realize it's 4am and u need a break!  :D

The bedroom is a separate room but yes, it's only a few steps away.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4477 on: May 27, 2021, 03:05:51 am »
Looks fancy, but he obviously only collects gear to look at. As it's set up there most of the devices would be completely unusable.

McBryce.

I have a much smaller setup and a lot more mess.  The equipment is stacked on wire shelves.   I keep some PCB material that I shove under the equipment for a shelf to hold what ever I am working on.  I also have a small portable table that I will set next to the equipment I am using.    It looks like an episode of Hoarders.   In their case, they may pull down the equipment when needed.   Or, as you say, they just look at it.   

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4478 on: May 27, 2021, 09:55:42 am »

Funny! I will be probably in the same situation! Since I have moved, I will more than likely have my lab shared with a bedroom. The flat just needs some reconstruction and remodeling work...

At first I thought it to be a bad idea, but well... there is really no place else to put the lab.  Also means, I need to downsize my lab, or at least make much more efficient use of available space.

Moving from house to a flat always suxxx!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:57:18 am by Yansi »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4479 on: May 27, 2021, 04:38:07 pm »

My mancave lab is in the wife's walk-in wardrobe. It was a quid pro quo, she wouldn't let me re-purpose the dining room that was originally earmarked for it because it has a nice view.

Since this covid thing though, as I'm mostly WFH now, I've rather taken a liking to the dining room too, for when I don't go full gear.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4480 on: May 27, 2021, 10:57:01 pm »
Now, jumping on the off-topic bandwagon, let's not forget that the first radios had their tubes exposed, like the 1920s Crosley Pup

Compared to today lots of stuff in the 1920s was unsafe. Cars didn't have seatbelts or airbags, house wiring didn't have safety grounds or GFCIs, etc.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4481 on: May 28, 2021, 03:15:11 am »
Compared to today lots of stuff in the 1920s was unsafe. Cars didn't have seatbelts or airbags, house wiring didn't have safety grounds or GFCIs, etc.

True. But that's not what we're talking about. The Crosley Pup operated on just two batteries: a 22.5V and a 1.5V battery. The tube didn't pose any significant risk. No more than your cell phone, whose battery can catch fire in your pocket. Tubes are not automatically unsafe just because they are exposed. And that's the point.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 07:04:05 pm by bsfeechannel »

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4482 on: May 30, 2021, 06:20:30 pm »
Not my workshop, unfortunately, but a good solution to a shortage of instrument space.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4483 on: May 30, 2021, 06:27:13 pm »
Yes, eliminating gravity would solve my space shortage problem too :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SilverSolder, 4cx10000

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #4484 on: June 03, 2021, 06:46:50 pm »
Work surfaces multiplied by 6, but problems of losing small parts cubed.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4485 on: June 03, 2021, 09:43:58 pm »
The problem will be cubed, but of a different kind:

How do you  manage to keep small parts from floating around. And solder blobs, flux, debris, etc.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4486 on: June 04, 2021, 02:26:45 am »
If you lose an SMD register, it might take out someone else's satellite.

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #4487 on: June 05, 2021, 11:07:16 pm »
2021 Update LOL was organizing programmers.

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4488 on: June 05, 2021, 11:27:40 pm »
That image made me laugh, how the hell a Dyson is going to work there...
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #4489 on: June 06, 2021, 05:47:29 am »
Well obviously a vacuum cleaner is for cleaning vacuum, duh.

Though I am not sure why the carpet attachment is best in that situation.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #4490 on: June 10, 2021, 08:19:58 pm »
I quickly realized that I need to put my most used tools (screwdriver, flush cutters, needlenose, scissors, strippers, etc.) in holders front and center, so I'm going to see what others have done.

Well, until I can figure out the "right" way to keep my tools, I have assembled some tool holders out of extra 4x4s and spare holes. I thought it best to stick with the "did you make that yourself?" aesthetic so as to not look out of place on the scrap-wood desk.

Included in the picture are the original Craftsman (Uhmairicuuuh!) screwdrivers and Torx drivers that I bought with my own money to service PCs back when servicing PCs was a viable, albeit not very lucrative, profession.

N.B. the "15" and "20" on the ends of the Torx drivers I drew with a "Wite-Out" pen almost 30 years ago. Those digits have held up remarkably well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:49:04 pm by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, zzattack

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4491 on: June 11, 2021, 12:49:53 am »
You just need to iterate your 4x4 design now  ;)

Version one tool holder was cut with a handsaw then drilled and filed and sanded (before I got my Laser Cutter and 3DP's).

I need to do something about my other bench pliers that are on a very clunky cup hook and timber strips on the side of my Soldering Stations along the lines of the 3D Printed V2 Lindstrom/Driver rack but it works so not on a list of any sort.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4492 on: June 11, 2021, 01:44:43 am »
I quickly realized that I need to put my most used tools (screwdriver, flush cutters, needlenose, scissors, strippers, etc.) in holders front and center, so I'm going to see what others have done.

Well, until I can figure out the "right" way to keep my tools, I have assembled some tool holders out of extra 4x4s and spare holes. I thought it best to stick with the "did you make that yourself?" aesthetic so as to not look out of place on the scrap-wood desk.

Included in the picture are the original Craftsman (Uhmairicuuuh!) screwdrivers and Torx drivers that I bought with my own money to service PCs back when servicing PCs was a viable, albeit not very lucrative, profession.

N.B. the "15" and "20" on the ends of the Torx drivers I drew with a "Wite-Out" pen almost 30 years ago. Those digits have held up remarkably well.

I like this idea.  If you wanted to make it look fancier, you could sand / paint the blocks.  Easy enough to make a new one if your tool kit changes!

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4493 on: June 12, 2021, 12:00:14 pm »
Version one tool holder was cut with a handsaw then drilled and filed and sanded (before I got my Laser Cutter and 3DP's).

Epoxy and other chemicals stored right next to window. Will UV from sun degrade the chemicals?
I have a bedspread five feet from a window with no direct sun on it, and it is 50% faded on side closest to window. :(
1227192-0

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4494 on: June 12, 2021, 12:26:58 pm »

Epoxy and other chemicals stored right next to window. Will UV from sun degrade the chemicals?
I have a bedspread five feet from a window with no direct sun on it, and it is 50% faded on side closest to window. :(
(Attachment Link)

Faces due South so not much of an issue. Also helps if you turnover the glues like I do  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4495 on: June 12, 2021, 12:44:33 pm »
The device's case left side on the top right shelf will yellow because it receives UV, no matter which side the window is facing.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4496 on: June 12, 2021, 12:49:21 pm »
That can worry the next guy when I depart the world in a few decades

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4497 on: June 12, 2021, 01:09:47 pm »
Epoxies can breakdown if exposed to UV, but it pretty much needs to be direct sunlight.

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
Sighounds Lab
« Reply #4498 on: June 19, 2021, 06:10:45 pm »
Hello guys,

Thought I would share some images of my home lab workspace with you, there are some great use of spaces on this thread and some ingenious ideas that I would have never thought!
I feel that my work space is easy to use and laid out well for those big boned among us  ;D

Really pleased with the JBC soldering equipment it's just so nice to use, with their superb range of tips and package removal tools plus the custom design service, should have looked at this brand years ago, but hey hidsight is wonderful thing.

We are geared up for specilist power supply design & build, audio and the odd green energy project, so a lot of the equipment is centred around these areas.

It has taken around two and half years to bring the home lab up to this standard, like everyone else you seek the best deals for your needs.

Between here and the works lab:

Scopes: Lecroy Wavepro 254 4Ghz, Lecory MDA8020 2Ghz, Lecroy HDO6000A (B model due soon) 500Mhz Lecroy Wavesurfer 4000HD 200Mhz, Rigol MSO8000 2.3Ghz (Tv84 enhanced)

Forteen Lecroy probes and eight Rigol probes both brands with fully digital probe looms as well.

RF work: Rigol RSA 5065 TG (TV84 enhanced), Siglent SVA 1015X, Agilent VSA E4433B 4Ghz

DC LISN x2, LISN mate, AC LISN, RF Current probes, full range of RF EMC sniffer probes and three rf amplifiers, various antenna’s RF dummy loads X3 various sizes, various attenuators and transient limiters. Impedance convertors and VSWR bridge 8Ghz

Signal generators: Tek AFG31000 250Mhz 2G/s, Rigol DG822 (TV84 enhanced) 100 Mhz, Rhode & Schwartz APN-62 low frequency unit 0Hz-260Khz

Power analysers: Tektronix PA1000, Keysight N6705C, (two modules Precision 17amp 60V psu and sink) two Lecroy RP4030 rail probes and two cp030A (1ma resolution current probes)

Power supplies: Keysight E36313A, Temma 30V 10amp cheapy but robust daily driver, Kikusui PCR500M a/c supply, a quality variac 10 amps 240Vac. Plus various ultra low 5 amp 16ua ripple current custom construction linear units.

DC loads: GW Instek PEL-3031E: Keysight EL34243A dual load, plus various constructed passive loads ranging pto 20 amps, these are so much quieter tha the active loads for EMC work

Reference refernce clock system 10Mhz ultra low phase noise -122dbc@1hz Mutec SE-120

Audio analyser Rhode & Schwartz UPV66 with ALL options (curtesy of TV84) except the ultra low singal generator which I could puchase a DMM7510 for the same cost!!!

Multi meters: Keithley DMM7510, Keithley DMM6500 Fluke 115

LCR devices Microtest 6366 500khz precision LCR meter with various adapters, Peak LCR45 and Peak Atas Pro DCA75 device tester

Soldering: JBC DDE 2 tools precision tweezers and de-soldering station, C2EV10 soldering station around 30 tips of various configuration.

Flir E8 infra-red camera.

A lot of T flex 405 cabling both N type and BNC terminations, plus more bench test power leads than I can shake a stick at which have been made up over the years.

Only a couple of changes planned, a new 12 GHZ VNA and another DC load.

The lab is used most day's is a great environment to work in.

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:27:35 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, trophosphere, Kean, Teti, 2N3055, capt bullshot, exor, shakalnokturn, NA5B, joxelito, Trader

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4499 on: June 19, 2021, 06:29:26 pm »
Sorry about a two post, the images are just on the limit so the remaining ones are attached here.
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, trophosphere, Kean, Teti, 2N3055, capt bullshot, exor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf