Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2284962 times)

exor and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4525 on: September 25, 2021, 02:56:50 pm »
Odd they would throw COBOL into an EE stream  :-//

When I went through the Engineering Stream did Pascal and Fortran while the Computer mob went Pascal COBOL for opening languages. We then went on to such delights as programming 6800 Micros in Hex on a keypad  :palm:

Oh yea FORTRAN classes here too but how about DEC PDP-11 assembly? Fun times, but we digress from the thread title.  :-DD

And Pascal, Qbasic?? :-DD

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4526 on: September 25, 2021, 11:02:00 pm »
Odd they would throw COBOL into an EE stream  :-//

When I went through the Engineering Stream did Pascal and Fortran while the Computer mob went Pascal COBOL for opening languages. We then went on to such delights as programming 6800 Micros in Hex on a keypad  :palm:

I thought it odd too. To be fair, before I'd got through the door there I was already reasonably proficient in Z80 and 6502 assembler, and had written a few bespoke commercial things in BASIC. The only thing I learned of any value regarding programming at university was structured programming. The maths I found interesting as it gave you multiple ways to achieve the same goal, you just need to choose the best tools for the job, but I'd by lying if I said I've used it regularly. The electronics side was frankly a waste of time, I already knew all of the useful practical bits. Looking back on it, it was a very crap course, but regrettably you really do need those letters after your name to get you past the HR dragons at most places.

Offline Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4527 on: September 26, 2021, 12:52:33 pm »
Here my rolling electronics tool cabinet lab, works great living in a small one bedroom apartment I store it away when not in use. I build audio equipment, home automation and lighting systems in my spare time, and do z/OS COBOL software development as my day job.

I like it.

COBOL, oh I didn't even know that was still in use, but I don't get out much.  :)

Banks still use mainframes and cobol for their electronic payment systems due to their reliability and easy interaction with huge databases. The thing is that both, the development tools and cobol itself, have evolved a lot since it was created, so they still use it for new developments. The latest cobol standard even supports object oriented programming

It is just like Ada, hated in the mainstream programming community, but appreciated in their respective niches

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4528 on: October 21, 2021, 07:23:45 am »
This lab is quite something...

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4529 on: October 22, 2021, 07:23:11 am »
Who the hell is this guy? Have checked his youtube channel and watched his two latest videos. He seems to have a LOT of money and a huge collection of old technological artefacts. And has a strange accent. (
Tried to quickly google his name, but I am not sure if the results turned back right. Anybody knows who he is?

All I could find from listeningto the 2 videos is that he is from Israel and now lives in Canada.  Theres some interesting story hiding somewhere...

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4530 on: October 22, 2021, 11:04:16 am »
Who the hell is this guy? Have checked his youtube channel and watched his two latest videos. He seems to have a LOT of money and a huge collection of old technological artefacts. And has a strange accent. (
Tried to quickly google his name, but I am not sure if the results turned back right. Anybody knows who he is?

All I could find from listeningto the 2 videos is that he is from Israel and now lives in Canada.  Theres some interesting story hiding somewhere...

From his Linkedin page...

"Current activity: Development of technology for metal 3D printing, founder of Rapidia. A co-founder of Kardium (2007), and Ikomed (2011), both in the medical field.
Last venture: Dan is the co-founder (1984), and served as President and Chief Technology Officer of Creo, a company based in British Columbia, Canada, developing laser-based products for the printing industry. In July 2005, Creo was sold to Kodak for 1 billion US$. At the time of the sale Creo had over 4000 employees and was the largest player in its field. A significant portion of Creo’s award-winning technology was developed by Dan.
Previous ventures: Dan also developed patented technology that served as the basis for two local companies: Cymbolic Sciences, in imaging, and MDI, in telecom. Both companies experienced rapid growth and were acquired by large corporations (Schlumberger and Motorola).
Patents: Dan Gelbart has 125 US patents. Cumulative revenues from the products based on these patents are in the billions of dollars to date.
Awards: Awards received by Dan include British Columbia Science Council Gold Medal (twice), Institute of Printing(UK) Gold Medal, Honorary Doctorates (from Simon Fraser University and University of BC), multiple GATF awards, multiple IR100 awards, Reed Technology Medal (for printing), the RIT award, IPEX “Titans of Print” award plus awards from crowdsourcing scientific competitions such as Innocentive (twice).
Hobbies: Collecting old scientific instruments, reading, building things, teaching at the University of BC in the department of Mechanical engineering."
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4531 on: October 22, 2021, 11:10:41 am »
It is just like Ada, hated in the mainstream programming community, but appreciated in their respective niches
I'd see it happen slightly differently: the vast majority of mainstream programmers only have a single hammer – one of the more popular languages – and advocate treating everything as a nail.
Those who master multiple tools, multiple programming languages and their paradigms, tend to find comfortable niches outside the single-tool mainstream stuff.
Those who master a single niche programming language but still program, tend to be much rarer; and have valuable useful experience in the target domain in other ways than programming.

The following users thanked this post: richnormand

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4532 on: October 23, 2021, 09:53:07 am »
"Current activity: Development of technology for metal 3D printing, founder of Rapidia. A co-founder of Kardium (2007), and Ikomed (2011), both in the medical field.
Last venture: Dan is the co-founder (1984), and served as President and Chief Technology Officer of Creo, a company based in British Columbia, Canada, developing laser-based products for the printing industry. In July 2005, Creo was sold to Kodak for 1 billion US$. At the time of the sale Creo had over 4000 employees and was the largest player in its field. A significant portion of Creo’s award-winning technology was developed by Dan.
Previous ventures: Dan also developed patented technology that served as the basis for two local companies: Cymbolic Sciences, in imaging, and MDI, in telecom. Both companies experienced rapid growth and were acquired by large corporations (Schlumberger and Motorola).
Patents: Dan Gelbart has 125 US patents. Cumulative revenues from the products based on these patents are in the billions of dollars to date.
Awards: Awards received by Dan include British Columbia Science Council Gold Medal (twice), Institute of Printing(UK) Gold Medal, Honorary Doctorates (from Simon Fraser University and University of BC), multiple GATF awards, multiple IR100 awards, Reed Technology Medal (for printing), the RIT award, IPEX “Titans of Print” award plus awards from crowdsourcing scientific competitions such as Innocentive (twice).
Hobbies: Collecting old scientific instruments, reading, building things, teaching at the University of BC in the department of Mechanical engineering."[/i]

So there you go boys and girls. You don't get rich by doing same old same old, but by thinking out of the box, exploring the unexplored and pushing things to the limit

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4533 on: November 04, 2021, 12:57:45 am »
Wow,
This guy is really impressive, I love seeing success stories like this. I jiggled things around a bit in my modest lab today, moved a few pieces after selling some equipment.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:16:59 am by Jester »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, trophosphere, 4cx10000, med6753, capt bullshot, exor, beanflying

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4534 on: November 04, 2021, 02:43:33 am »
Hobbies: Collecting old scientific instruments, reading, building things, teaching at the University of BC in the department of Mechanical engineering."[/i]

So there you go boys and girls. You don't get rich by doing same old same old, but by thinking out of the box, exploring the unexplored and pushing things to the limit

Yep
It also helps to be a student of history including how science turns into technology and business.
This is another interesting one of his videos:
https://youtu.be/lLTfMLaX820

Offline Teti

• Regular Contributor
    • www.martenelectric.cz
« Reply #4535 on: November 13, 2021, 04:50:32 pm »
Julia Truchsess of Pragmatic Design at her desk http://www.pragmaticdesigns.com/
featured in The Amp Hour #424 https://theamphour.com/424-an-interview-with-julia-truchsess/
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker.
http://www.martenelectric.cz/

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, PixieDust, Bear55, audiotubes

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4536 on: November 13, 2021, 10:53:17 pm »
Wow,
This guy is really impressive, I love seeing success stories like this. I jiggled things around a bit in my modest lab today, moved a few pieces after selling some equipment.
Nice setup. What are the home made gadgets left under multimeters and right at the bottom.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4537 on: November 14, 2021, 10:07:47 pm »
This lab is quite something...

where to find those bendable cable ties?

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #4538 on: November 16, 2021, 08:17:40 am »
The ever evolving lab..

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4539 on: November 16, 2021, 09:45:50 pm »
Wow,
Nice setup. What are the home made gadgets left under multimeters and right at the bottom.

The one on the left is an AC/DC electronic load, 0-30A, 0-250V
The one on the right is an AC source, 0-250V, 0-100A
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:51:46 pm by Jester »

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4540 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:18 am »
The ever evolving lab..

$135 an hour? 

Offline NA5B

• Contributor
    • WebSDR system at Washinton DC running 24/7
« Reply #4541 on: December 16, 2021, 05:22:18 am »
Finally, I cleaned up my bench! :-)
NA5B - WebSDR (SDR) Software Defined Radio receiver server operating @ Wahington DC Area
HF Bands: http://na5b.com:8901
VHF-UHF: http://na5b.com:8902

The following users thanked this post: edavid, trophosphere, SilverSolder, exor

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #4542 on: December 16, 2021, 08:42:00 am »
A lot of interesting goodies on that table, huh!

What is that Agilent instrument below the likely Agilent 33120A?

Offline NA5B

• Contributor
    • WebSDR system at Washinton DC running 24/7
« Reply #4543 on: December 16, 2021, 02:31:16 pm »
Instrument below the 33120A is a Protek 9305 AWG on top is a 10Hz~46 GHz Frequency Counter, Agilent 53152A.
NA5B - WebSDR (SDR) Software Defined Radio receiver server operating @ Wahington DC Area
HF Bands: http://na5b.com:8901
VHF-UHF: http://na5b.com:8902

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4544 on: December 30, 2021, 04:51:02 pm »
Had to shuffle some instruments on the main desk around to make some space for my new Keithley 6500 and i decided to take a pic of everything that isn't on the main bench but on other test equipment piles in case i need it for a job. I mainly need precise DC voltages, so the bench is centered around that: DMMs and an electrometer to measure them and a SMU and calibrator to source them.

The ultimate goal is to build a full-size server rack that has the equipment for like 95% of the jobs, should also be a good excersive in downsizing my lab (there are a lot of things that are nice to have, but that i haven't used in years).

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline MarginallyStable

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4545 on: December 30, 2021, 11:02:39 pm »
Not many fancy instruments, but show several of my hobbies (electronics, 3d printing, CNC, robotics)

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, xrunner, SilverSolder, Teti, Adrian_Arg.

Offline Xandinator

• Contributor
« Reply #4546 on: January 08, 2022, 04:35:51 pm »
No pictures from here since the shop is pretty much integrated into the flat and hidden behind doors, cabinets, cupboards etc., except for my workstation, SBC, SDR, microscope, cameras, ultrasonic bath, reflux still and Todo dump. Tool sections include:
  • computer peripherals
  • audio
  • electronics
  • optics & environmental measurements
  • mechanics
  • welding
  • transport/lifting
  • pneumatics & vacuum
  • chemistry
  • gardening
Consumables, components and materials are cached in a three tier system: Todo heap <> kitchen cupboard <> cellar
This has been working very well so far:
  • You can open a workspace anywhere you like and thus elude certain peculiarities of the kin.
  • Madam is devoid of projection area due to dispersion of equipment.
  • Maximum space efficiency incites configuration completion.
Although I highly recommend imitating this strategy, here are my caveats as well:
  • Absolute necessity to be cleanly, tidy and neatly organized!
  • Confusing or forgetting components is giving instant PITA...
  • Even minimal setup times act as an initial burden that has to be overcome.
Anybody else following the same policies?

Offline Martin Miranda

• Regular Contributor
  • ~~Work: Electronics~~, ~~Hobby: Electronics~~
« Reply #4547 on: January 08, 2022, 04:51:32 pm »
need more tables.

beach, sun and the island i call home.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOspWWciGGyF5NwmeVT_mWA

The following users thanked this post: TiN, edavid, Teti

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4548 on: January 08, 2022, 09:00:27 pm »

After Dan Gelbarts "shed"  8) we can again drool over DK7LG's home lab:
http://www.hilberling.com/de/de_ham/ham.htm
http://www.hilberling.com/bo/bo_ham/ham_hl-3u.jpg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:02:51 pm by mzzj »

The following users thanked this post: cgroen, exor, Bear55, 6h8c

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4549 on: January 09, 2022, 01:48:35 pm »
After Dan Gelbarts "shed"  8) we can again drool over DK7LG's home lab:
http://www.hilberling.com/de/de_ham/ham.htm
http://www.hilberling.com/bo/bo_ham/ham_hl-3u.jpg

His antenna tower is impressive, wonder if he hand built it.

Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf