Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2298751 times)

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4625 on: November 26, 2022, 03:51:42 pm »
yes, my pc is a wooden plank!
I fear it reveals way too much of my own personality, but my first thought was "Hmm.. a tower-type sparse-fin heatsink with a similar size and footprint might suffice even without a fan, considering thermal updraught.. I wonder what the TDP of the processor Anthocyanina uses is?"

Yes, I too love to build my own workstations in unconventional chassises.  I tend to silent/quiet builds, however.

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #4626 on: November 26, 2022, 05:24:45 pm »

As someone who runs PCs in cases that have never had the side cover on, I find that presentation so salacious, I'm wondering if it should be illegal.

It is unfortunately much less gracious if you see it complete, with all its noodly appendages flapping around!

I fear it reveals way too much of my own personality, but my first thought was "Hmm.. a tower-type sparse-fin heatsink with a similar size and footprint might suffice even without a fan, considering thermal updraught.. I wonder what the TDP of the processor Anthocyanina uses is?"

Yes, I too love to build my own workstations in unconventional chassises.  I tend to silent/quiet builds, however.

When i bought the parts to build it, i didn't have money for a case, so it lived as a cardboard box for a few days, then i bought a cheap wooden plank and some mounting hardware, and liked how it looked there. That cheap plank got bent by the heat or something, and it was made by many smaller wooden pieces glued together to look like a mosaic or something, so i got a solid plank of harder wood and mounted it like it looks like now. I don't have the tools or skill to make nice looking holes for the cables to go in the back, but i'm ok with it being all noodly!. The ssds are also just flapping around behind the plank, held by the light pressure of the plank against the wall. It's all super sketchy but it works! And of course, googly eyes on the cpu fan! because i like how silly it looks  :P

oh! and about cpu tdp! it's 65w
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 05:29:01 pm by Anthocyanina »

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4627 on: November 26, 2022, 08:42:25 pm »
The ssds are also just flapping around behind the plank, held by the light pressure of the plank against the wall. It's all super sketchy but it works!
They can get warm so probably not the wisest way to mount them when you consider they are normally screwed to a metal bracket and in relatively free space to help get the heat away. Even fixed to a bracket on the front of your plank would be better than stuffed behind it.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4628 on: November 26, 2022, 09:23:23 pm »
And of course, googly eyes on the cpu fan! because i like how silly it looks  :P
Yup!  On my Linux machines, I use a bootsplash with my mascot Tux (avatar) rolling its eyes in opposite directions.  Still makes me smile..

it's 65w [cpu tdp]
I haven't done open convection cooling for more than 45W TDP, but there are beasts like Noctua NH-P1 (too expensive for my wallet) that may be able to handle it, depending on the exact motherboard and processor.  But the passive ones are heavy, NH-P1 weighing over 1.1 kg alone, so when mounted on a vertical motherboard (with vertical convection airflow), you need to have good metal backplate for it, and even then they may bend and break the motherboard..  No, I do not suggest you try it! ;D

Nowadays, I play much more with ARM-based single-board computers (not Raspberry Pi's –– long story) – especially the ones whose manufacturers push the support into upstream Linux kernels instead of providing their own "forks" whose support is measured in weeks and not years -, and microcontrollers.

I don't have the tools or skill to make nice looking holes for the cables to go in the back
I use a hand drill, the hand-power-only kind, with a toothy disc in the middle that you crank. I live in an apartment, and used to have neighbors who apparently drilled holes in the support structures with a hammer drill as a hobby.  The noise was unbelievable; the entire building rang like a, uh, a hammer drill next to your ear.  A hand drill, a set of drill bits, a nibbler (for metal sheets, like scissors but has support on both sides with a nibbly bit in the middle), and a set of small files is about all I ever use to mod metal chassises, and make wood more holey.  Oh, and pliers.  And Hansaplast universal band-aids, because I always manage to cut my fingertips, and that particular band-aid type helps such papercuts not get so inflamed for me.  (I have posted about that somewhere here.) For drilling in metal, some food-grade mineral oil helps.  I use it, and a beeswax mix, to treat all my wooden surfaces too; I don't like the smelly stuff you can buy off the shelf.

Offline iJoseph2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4629 on: December 03, 2022, 10:48:33 am »
@voltage
Like your powerbar. Can you share more info?
Cheers.

It looks like an IEC PDU of some sort to me. Something like this ..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275548611954

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4630 on: December 03, 2022, 01:36:31 pm »
Don't think I've posted an image of my space so here it is:

Room is 12m² (2.4x5m). Bench is built from cheap IKEA desktops but with custom frame to make it more sturdy. I wouldn't mind them being 10cm deeper but it's allright.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, xrunner, edavid, 4cx10000, zzattack, Mortymore, exor, jord4231, Anthocyanina

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4631 on: December 03, 2022, 01:46:28 pm »

Room is 12m² (2.4x5m). Bench is built from cheap IKEA desktops but with custom frame to make it more sturdy. I wouldn't mind them being 10cm deeper but it's allright.

Very nice! And still lots of space for Ebay purchases!  >:D

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000, SMITH_tool

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4632 on: December 03, 2022, 07:06:01 pm »

Room is 12m² (2.4x5m). Bench is built from cheap IKEA desktops but with custom frame to make it more sturdy. I wouldn't mind them being 10cm deeper but it's alright.
Does H.O have an HD or is it X Plus ?
Nice roomy lab BTW.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4633 on: December 03, 2022, 11:29:21 pm »
Thanks guys. I find it harder and harder to score anything on EBAY these days - certainly here in the EU.
Scopes are Rigol DS4000 and Siglent SDS 2000X+. I have been drooling over the 2kHD but I REALLY can't justify it. Then again, I can't REALLY justify much of what I have...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4634 on: December 04, 2022, 01:13:41 am »
Siglent SDS 2000X+. I have been drooling over the 2kHD but I REALLY can't justify it. Then again, I can't REALLY justify much of what I have...
I'm with you on the HD unless you really need the 12 bit but it is a really nice scope and a little smaller than the X Plus and really very quiet.
Only handled this one 350 MHz unit we got in especially for a customer and ATM not planning to stock them as the X Plus offers better bang for buck however customer demand will decide what we do in the end.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4635 on: December 04, 2022, 01:15:23 pm »
Thanks guys. I find it harder and harder to score anything on EBAY these days - certainly here in the EU. [...]

It seems an international thing...   wonder why that is? - too much money circulating, nobody needs to sell their old junk?  :D

Offline Detlev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4636 on: December 28, 2022, 04:46:50 pm »
Hi, everyone,

my second post :) After I introduced myself, I would like to introduce my little electronics workbench here. Unfortunately I don't have much space, but I also don't have many devices  :)

On the left the electronics workbench and on the right at the PC workstation.

Many greetings
Detlev
This post is "Made in Germany" 😎

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, rdl, edavid, exor, jord4231, Zoli, luudee, TizianoHV, jasonRF

Offline adauphin

• Supporter
« Reply #4637 on: December 30, 2022, 03:13:46 pm »
Finally getting the workstation finished, this area used to be a folding table with the microscopes for the kids, I mostly use the metallurgical scope and I had some of my test equipment in a smaller area.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

I had a local woodshop make a large countertop with a backsplash, along with two side splashes I can attach later but won't have a rolled seam like the rear.

Work table is 32"D x 10'L, with black nebula laminate. I wanted to have the 10' span with no center vertical support so the chairs can slide the full length without hitting your knees.

I was able to do this with an angled center support and the main framework slightly resembling a wing spar, tapering to the front. I can stand in the middle with barely any sag..definitely solid enough to use the microscopes.

I had a different shop cut down a sheet of 3/4" black laminate for shelving and add edge banding.

The metal shelving on the left is all Omniwall and has worked out great. They seem to me more suited for garage organization but I feel the lab environment also has potential with their products.

I have some more to do, need to add a long power strip, get the ESD mounted, some under shelf lights, more hand tooks,etc.

I'm working on modifying a solder wire caddy to hold some hookup wire, will get pics of that when I'm done.

The kids love to get pond and creek critters, and I'm slowly getting them into building some arduino projects. Finally have some space to work on small projects and get myself into trouble... 8)

I wanted to add, none of my electronic gear or even my hobby would be where it is if it weren't for this site. I have been able to gather a wealth of knowledge here to get this underway, and I'm greatly appreciative of all the advice and criticism.

When I sit down with the kids to mess with some electronic experiments, that has been made possible by the EEVblog...many thanks... :-+
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 03:18:49 pm by adauphin »

The following users thanked this post: rdl, edavid

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #4638 on: December 30, 2022, 08:13:55 pm »
Guys, I came here for inspiration and have a question. What would you recommend for the shelf system above the workbench?

In last couple posts, I saw that owners have brackets on the wall. I was thinking about adding a custom shelf on my table. Something like this or this.

Honestly, I struggle with extra time therefore adding something that is available would be the easiest solution. I would like to ideally have a shelf where I mount LED lights and can place some smaller test equipment. (e.g. power supply).
Do you think I should go the extra mile and add a custom frame for my current (little) table?

PS: It should also look reasonable. It is home office that I share with my spouse (about 22m2). :scared:

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #4639 on: December 30, 2022, 08:43:05 pm »
I have two Arlink workbench with shelves similar to your photo.

What I find important is to have access to the back of the instruments, in particular once they are stacked two or three high in their final resting places.....
I installed the bench perpendicular to the wall to allow easy access to the back. Do not put it flush with the wall if you can spare a few tens of cm so you have access to the back even if you have a full size rack instrument on there.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #4640 on: December 30, 2022, 11:22:21 pm »
Guys, I came here for inspiration and have a question. What would you recommend for the shelf system above the workbench?

In last couple posts, I saw that owners have brackets on the wall. I was thinking about adding a custom shelf on my table. Something like this or this.

Honestly, I struggle with extra time therefore adding something that is available would be the easiest solution. I would like to ideally have a shelf where I mount LED lights and can place some smaller test equipment. (e.g. power supply).
Do you think I should go the extra mile and add a custom frame for my current (little) table?

PS: It should also look reasonable. It is home office that I share with my spouse (about 22m2). :scared:

An alternate. Build your own. My lab is in the living room so neatness is a priority. (This is only part of my entire bench area)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #4641 on: December 31, 2022, 12:04:43 am »
Hi, everyone,

my second post :) After I introduced myself, I would like to introduce my little electronics workbench here. Unfortunately I don't have much space, but I also don't have many devices  :)

On the left the electronics workbench and on the right at the PC workstation.

(Attachment Link)

Many greetings
Detlev

EN: Plenty of space on the walls for shelves.
DE: Viel Platz für Regale an den Wänden.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline adauphin

• Supporter
« Reply #4642 on: December 31, 2022, 01:39:56 pm »

Before I built mine, these were a couple sites I looked at to get ideas, pricey, but look well built.

https://apmg.co.uk/laboratory-furniture/storage/shelving/

https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/browse/90200123/shelving?page=1

Online Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4643 on: December 31, 2022, 02:18:22 pm »

Awwww, Maaantis…
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4644 on: December 31, 2022, 03:49:57 pm »
If you can put holes in the wall, those dual track standards with folded metal brackets are fantastic. Mine are Rubbermaid bought at Home Depot, but I think everywhere you can find something similar. Only drawback is with MDF shelves they will sag if the spacing is too wide. The wall studs where I have mine are 16" spacing, so not too bad. I still try to put the heaviest stuff directly over a bracket.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #4645 on: December 31, 2022, 04:11:12 pm »
Yep. Using the same system.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4646 on: December 31, 2022, 05:24:27 pm »
One thing to watch with those dual track shelving systems is on  the cheaper units  you cant move the brackets around easily without loosing the upright supports from the wall as the uprights aint deep enough to let the brackets rotate

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4647 on: December 31, 2022, 07:19:24 pm »
Only drawback is with MDF shelves they will sag if the spacing is too wide

You can put cross piece underneath to prevent sag. If you're clever you can use, say, a 1" or 2" strip edge on at the back (on top) to stop stuff falling off the back of the shelf, and/or the same underneath at the front to hide under-shelf lights.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #4648 on: January 01, 2023, 08:16:32 pm »
Dear fellow hobbyists, thank you for your tips. You helped me to decide. I will use the wall-mount rack system as e.g. user rdl mentioned. I am short on time, short on space, but will make it!
Happy new year everyone.

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4649 on: January 08, 2023, 08:47:05 pm »
Over the holiday I updated two laptops I inherited from my daughters (replaced spinning disks with SSDs, increased RAM), so now I have a dedicated 14" 13.3” touchscreen for my Picoscope 5244B.  The computers are 6ish years old - both girls got new computers when they went off to college.  I really like the space now, but it is almost never this clean!

jason
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:17:05 pm by jasonRF »

The following users thanked this post: TiN, bigfoot22

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf