Author Topic: When will my new iPhone battery settle in?  (Read 886 times)

Offline lezginka_kabardinkaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
When will my new iPhone battery settle in?
« on: December 08, 2023, 03:35:16 am »
When will my new iPhone battery settle in?

I’ve just installed a replacement battery for my iPhone SE (2nd gen, 2020). It is from a verified supplier who buy from a decent source - “Huarigor”.

Anyway, my previous battery had 1,400+ charge cycles on it and was knackered. This one, having been in for less than a day, seems better, but maybe there’s some way I can know how long it takes for a Li-Po battery to “settle in”/“bed in”?

It doesn’t appear VASTLY better, and the brightness dimmed a little earlier (standard iOS practice when a device is a little warm; I did a “hard reset” by doing: tap vol +, tap vol - and then hold power until it reboots. Doesn’t seem to be as warm now (note: not VERY warm in the first place, but less so now).

Is there some method by which I can ascertain how long it’ll take before I reap the benefits; for example, a rough number of days or charge cycles?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 03:10:46 pm by lezginka_kabardinka »

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
Re: When will my new iPhone battery settle in?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 07:03:05 am »
You can not, these days, get after market batteries which will last you. By lasting I mean holding capacity after certain charge discharge cycles. Usually battery will hold charge like new for about first two three weeks, then capacity will degrease and get worst. After half a year it will be noticeable. After a year you will want to replace it because it is considerably noticeable. "Huriagor" is a no name, I hear of it first time. I mean, we have Vixion in Russia sold in green-spark, total crap. I bet it's the same story with yours. Because in the after market there is Baseus and Nohon. Compared to Apple they are okey, just don't last as long.

So the only option you have is either get original Apple battery, which you can only get from original Apple store, or you can get reputable after market battery, Baseus or Nohon.

There was somewhere an excel sheet showing capacities after 100 charge discharge cycles.

P.S. Moreover, customers don't want good batteries. First question they ask is how much. Second question is it original. So the idea is cheap and original. It makes absolutely no financial sense carrying good batteries like Baseus or Nohon, you will never sell them. So the market demand itself drove manufacturers to make the cheapest possible battery. Those batteries you find at repair shops range in price from 400 to 600 rubles, 4 to 6 bucks, from local supplier, which gets them from China for half the price. What kind of Lithium are we talking about inside? It's like this the whole world over, United States, South America, Europe, Russia, China, South East Asia, Oceania, Australia.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 07:14:17 am by u666sa »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 03:12:08 pm »
Corrected battery vendor name: it’s “Huarigor”, not “Huriagor” as I’d initially written.

Offline u666sa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 07:20:24 am »
it’s “Huarigor”
I never heard of it. It's no name for me.  :-//
Maybe someone will pitch in and correct me.

Look, what matters is how your battery performs after about 50 charge discharges, about two three months. Take a mental note for yourself. Is working time noticeably decreased? If so, then the battery is crap. If so, then you know what to do, go on aliexpress and purchase either Baseus or Nohon. Each of those have official stores, be sure to get them from official store. Along with your battery purchase 3M screen adhesive for your phone so that install is factory like.

P.S. If you asking questions about your new battery's performance, it already automatically implies that the battery is  :horse:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:22:00 am by u666sa »

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 10:08:30 am »
Firstly, congratulations on replacing an iPhone battery. This is not an easy task even for the experienced technician.
Now welcome to the world of right to repair; as we all know, Apple never sells official Apple batteries. Instead the repair world has to rely on after market products of dubious origin. By dubious origin, there is no supply side guarantee of quality. They just appear on Ali and eBay as "official iPhone replacements". They could come from the same battery factory in China that manufactures batteries for Apple and Samsung, or an anonymous facility in Vietnam or Cambodia. We just don't know?
Quoted capacities in mAh should be taken with a pinch of salt. From memory SE2 capacity is 1840mAh, but bargain replacement cells can be anything up to 2500mAh. The capacity printed on the replacement battery is just printing on the battery.Settling in time? A dozen charge cycles, maybe?
As the battery health is no longer available, there will be no reliable analytics. However, there are some helpful third party battery apps that might be of help. FYI
https://www.tenorshare.com/iphone-tips/iphone-battery-apps.html

You can also implement low power mode as an automation if the charge falls below 80%.

The following users thanked this post: lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 04:56:26 pm »
Firstly, congratulations on replacing an iPhone battery. This is not an easy task even for the experienced technician.
Now welcome to the world of right to repair; as we all know, Apple never sells official Apple batteries. Instead the repair world has to rely on after market products of dubious origin. By dubious origin, there is no supply side guarantee of quality. They just appear on Ali and eBay as "official iPhone replacements". They could come from the same battery factory in China that manufactures batteries for Apple and Samsung, or an anonymous facility in Vietnam or Cambodia. We just don't know?
Quoted capacities in mAh should be taken with a pinch of salt. From memory SE2 capacity is 1840mAh, but bargain replacement cells can be anything up to 2500mAh. The capacity printed on the replacement battery is just printing on the battery.Settling in time? A dozen charge cycles, maybe?
As the battery health is no longer available, there will be no reliable analytics. However, there are some helpful third party battery apps that might be of help. FYI
https://www.tenorshare.com/iphone-tips/iphone-battery-apps.html

You can also implement low power mode as an automation if the charge falls below 80%.

Thank you for the complimentary message. I've done a few iPhone battery/screen replacements; I find them more tedious than hard, and I cannot imagine EVER wanting to do that nonsense as a job! Thank you for all your advice, I am mid head cold, so cannot adequately parse and answer each part, but please know that I read it all and it makes sense, and I am very grateful.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf