Author Topic: Where Can I Get Subminiature (Grain Of Wheat/Rice) Bulbs?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline CyberdragonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Where Can I Get Subminiature (Grain Of Wheat/Rice) Bulbs?
« on: July 02, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »
Besides Ebay...I don't trust Ebay...

These things I mean (compared to a 3mm LED).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:34:27 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Where Can I Get Subminiature (Watch Backlight) Bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 07:57:38 pm »
Just retrofit in a SMD LED?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:04:07 pm »
It's not actually for watches though. I want them for tiny decorations where they will be exposed. In that case you would see the ugly solder joints on the sides of a square box.

If they have LEDs as small as the bulb on the right with leads attached (in warm white) I'll bite.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:12:08 pm »
Aren’t those called “grain of rice” bulbs? I expect that model railroad shops carry things like that.

There are some Chinese vendors of SMD LEDs with leads soldered on, even tiny ones. But there are also these cute little 1.5mm LEDs: https://molesmell.aliexpress.com/store/group/1-5mm-led/107456_255007716.html?spm=2114.10010108.100008.2.70bc3b0dDcNCh3

(Ah, gotta love the smell of mole in the morning!!  :-DD)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:03 pm »
Those things are massive (and have the ugly box) compared to those smaller bulbs. I want radial leads.

Bulbtown or something like that might have them, I'll check there.

EDIT: Alot of sites call them "grain of wheat bulbs", but we all know Google is dumb and is ignoring the fact I'm only searching for the 1mm ones! |O
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:27:18 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where Can I Get Subminiature (Grain Of Wheat/Rice) Bulbs?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:17 pm »
Hobby electronics stores would be the obvious place, but they were also used a lot in automotive applications - all the little lights in buttons and switches etc. A very well stocked auto store might have something, but they're well and truly superseded in this day and age.

Once you've done all the running around you would probably be better of trying eBay.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:55 pm »
I bought some on ebay, they're fine, I've bought thousands of odds & ends on ebay over the past 20 years without issues, why don't you trust ebay? Especially for a <$5 purchase, the risk is small.

Otherwise Digikey has a fairly wide selection of miniature incandescent lamps.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 12:08:46 am »
If they have LEDs as small as the bulb on the right with leads attached (in warm white) I'll bite.
I don't think anyone is going to find a teeny tiny, 1mm, 40mil diameter LED with an omnidirectional radiation pattern any time soon.
LED dies radiate sideways so somehow you need to turn the planar radiation pattern into and omnidirectional pattern.

Well, back in the day, taylors, allegedly, used to use several upturned round-bottommed flasks placed around a single candle or oil lamp to provide better illumination. Light radiation from a candle or oil lamp is more or less planar, So...

What if you encase an LED die in clear epoxy filled with lots of tiny glass spheres. Mount the die, wire bond it and then encapsulate, what could be more simple. Have any LED manufacturers made any effort to try this ? I serious doubt it.

Probably need the computing power of a GPU to model an almost planar(ish) light source surrounded by lots of randomly distributed ball lenses. Maybe a neon and a handfull of glass balls (marbles) would be quicker. Damn I lost all of my marbles but you can probably buy them on ebay.

Anyways, good luck with finding teeny tiny incandescent light bulbs.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:25:45 am by chris_leyson »

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:22:41 am »
In the past I got those from GC Electronics at Active, got some from Radio Shack, a few microlamps from MiniMagLite and several dozen from Electronic Goldmine in one of their sales.
All are about 1mm by 2mm long, some closer to 3mm long. Also remember seeing them in model and hobby shops.
Finally they are inexpensive  so it might be worthwhile trying eBay too.

""If they have LEDs as small as the bulb on the right with leads attached (in warm white) I'll bite.""
Have a look at Mouser as some of the SMD LEDs are pretty much the size you want but light distribution is quite directional compared to the bulbs that are almost a full sphere.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 12:26:11 am by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline Relayer

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 12:33:23 am »
Hello Cyberdragon,
You can try WES Components in Australia. They sell, I think from memory,
various sizes and voltage ratings.
I'm certain they ship internationally and the bulbs are very cheap.
Just ask for: Grain-of-Wheat bulbs
Here is their link:

WES Components

Regards,
Relayer

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:41:37 am »
Guys, I think if Cyberdragon wanted a directional radiation pattern he would be looking for an LED, if he's looking for a tiny incandescent source then it's going to be omnidirectional. Nobody makes omnidirectional LEDs. So what you looking for Cyberdragon, omnidirectional or directional ?  :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 12:52:16 am »
Obviosly omnidirectional, also they look better exposed than LEDS and when off just appear as glass specks (where as LEDs look like phosper blobs). I should have specified if there's such a thing as 1mm radial lead LEDs, they'd have a wider angle than SMDs I think.

Any idea what the cylinder bulb is?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:56:02 am »
Well there are bare LED dies bonded directly to a PCB that are smaller than 1mm and reasonably omnidirectional. I don't think it's something a hobbyist could assemble by hand though.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 01:08:25 am »
Mouser has some, but I couldn't tell if the sizes were small enough. Just search for lamps, wire terminated. The supplier was JKL Components. Best guess here is to check with model railroading suppliers. If you have a large hobby shop nearby, maybe give them a call.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 05:08:37 am »
Those things are massive (and have the ugly box) compared to those smaller bulbs. I want radial leads.

Bulbtown or something like that might have them, I'll check there.

EDIT: Alot of sites call them "grain of wheat bulbs", but we all know Google is dumb and is ignoring the fact I'm only searching for the 1mm ones! |O
:-DD at myself! Of course it’s “grain of wheat”!! Can you tell i had had rice for dinner just before I wrote?

Another thought: fiber optics. You could use that to get very tiny light sources. How you terminate the fiber lets you decide the light pattern. E.G. you could sand or etch the side of the fiber to create a diffuse light.

These are at amazon:

Grain of Wheat 3mm

https://www.amazon.com/Evemodel-Grain-Wheat-Clear-Wired/dp/B01A6B5DYK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1530582278&sr=8-11&keywords=Evemodel

https://www.micromark.com/Grain-of-Wheat-Lamps-Pack-of-100?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuaDyrOWB3AIVxh-GCh2a9A-CEAQYASABEgIE9PD_BwE

SMD Led in 0402 package (1.00x0.50mm) with wires
These look neat. I almost bought some recently.

https://www.amazon.com/Evemodel-T0402W-20pcs-Pre-soldered-Bright/dp/B01M3U8JDG/ref=sr_1_37?srs=16054151011&ie=UTF8&qid=1530582729&sr=8-37

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7TYKMF/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w

https://www.amazon.com/Evemodel-C0402W-20pcs-Pre-soldered-Copper/dp/B01M7TYJCZ/ref=lp_16054151011_1_12?srs=16054151011&ie=UTF8&qid=1530582528&sr=8-12

Yes, that’s exactly the kind of “leaded” SMD LEDs I meant in my first reply! Thanks for finding a link.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 06:36:48 pm »
I found similar axial bulbs to the one photo, but these are leaded. (I also didn't think to check dollhouse lighting systems ::) )

https://cir-kitconcepts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_42&products_id=192

But I haven't found ones with the solder terminals like the one I have.

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf