Author Topic: Where can I get this stackable header *cheaply*?  (Read 1075 times)

Online HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Where can I get this stackable header *cheaply*?
« on: March 02, 2024, 01:22:43 pm »
I'm trying to find a source for the attached type of stackable female header where I can buy them for a reasonable price in multiples of 5s or 10s. Ideally less than £1 each.

They are 0.1" (2.54mm) pitch double-row 2x20 pin with overall height (i.e. body plus exposed pin length) of approx. 23mm, approx. 8.5mm height plastic body plus shrouded part on the pins of ~5mm (i.e. two layers of 2.5mm).

The only sources I've found so far are egregiously priced. There are parts from Samtec and Sullins on DigiKey, Mouser, Farnell, RS, etc. but at prices of £5-9 each! :o There are also parts of unknown manufacturer from various 'maker' vendors at prices of £2.50+ each. I've found nothing on LCSC or AliExpress (only similar parts with no or smaller shrouding). There are a bunch of manufacturers in the far east on sites like globalsources.com that claim to make them, but I don't want to buy 1000 of them.

Anyone got anything helpful?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:31:28 pm by HwAoRrDk »

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where can I get this kind of stackable header *cheaply*?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 01:38:28 pm »
You're probably best searching for Raspberry Pi headers.

E.g. this one from Adafruit £2.62 for 1x
https://uk.farnell.com/adafruit/2223/40-pin-pi-gpio-stacking-header/dp/2816268?ost=2816268

OK that doesn't meet your price but I'm sure there are loads others.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 04:15:07 pm »
You're probably best searching for Raspberry Pi headers.

Yeah, I already did and that's what I found for £2.50-ish from various Raspberry Pi and 'maker' vendors.

I even discovered that the magic words "PC/104" apply to these types of stacking headers and there are also industrial computing vendors who also sell things like them for enormous prices.

E.g. this one from Adafruit £2.62 for 1x
https://uk.farnell.com/adafruit/2223/40-pin-pi-gpio-stacking-header/dp/2816268?ost=2816268

Not a great example, as that's not the shrouded version I'm looking for. :P And I already know where to buy those on AliExpress for around £0.30. ;D

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 04:42:25 pm »
if you only need 5 or 10 is it really that important if they cost $2 ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 05:58:41 pm »
Sorry, I should have written multiples of 5 or 10. I need more than that, but I don't need several 100 or a thousand.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 08:27:08 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832710322745.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832777349207.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802129587874.html

Nope, nope, and nope. Those are all with a single layer of pin shroud. I'm looking for double layer of pin shroud. I need approx. 13.5mm between the top and the base of the pins, which is what 8.5+(2*2.54) will give. Thanks anyway. :)

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
Re: Where can I get this stackable header *cheaply*?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 09:49:48 pm »
Looking at shorter lengths might help. If you need 20 in length, but can get a length=2*5 one for <1/4 of the price of a length=2*20 that's worthwhile. For this style of header though you wouldn't want to go for lengths >20 as cutting down to length will tend to damage these, where it would be fine for male headers.

You can also see if 1*5 is <1/8 the price of 2*20, single row might well be a lot cheaper than double.

Samtec is one of the big manufactuers of headers, and a datasheet for any header from them contains the "recipe" to let you construct the part number to use when searching on Farnell/Mouser/... for a header with the dimensons you want.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 09:52:47 pm by Infraviolet »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 10:07:35 pm »
May well be something at LCSC but could be tricky to find it with their sub-optimal search.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 12:06:05 am »
Toby haven't let me down yet:

https://www.toby.co.uk/board-to-board-pcb-connectors/254mm-sockets/309ae-254mm-elevated-single-and-dual-row-socket-strip/

Not only do they ahve variable pin length, but also vary the number of elevating strips.

Not the <£1 you're after bit for a stacking header with proper square pins I very much doubt you'll find 2x20 that cheap.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 01:15:17 pm »
https://www.toby.co.uk/board-to-board-pcb-connectors/254mm-sockets/309ae-254mm-elevated-single-and-dual-row-socket-strip/

Oh, interesting, thanks. They don't list the variant I want (309AE-40-SG-2Z-1555) though. :( Maybe I should enquire, as their prices are more realistic.

May well be something at LCSC but could be tricky to find it with their sub-optimal search.

Oh, believe me, I scoured LCSC from top-to-bottom. They only have two products like it, albeit not the same, with only single layer shrouding: C35165 and C5307344.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 01:24:18 pm »
Nope, nope, and nope. Those are all with a single layer of pin shroud. I'm looking for double layer of pin shroud. I need approx. 13.5mm between the top and the base of the pins, which is what 8.5+(2*2.54) will give. Thanks anyway. :)
If the pin length is enough, 3D print some spacers?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 04:25:27 pm »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2024, 05:10:57 pm »
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832710322745.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832777349207.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802129587874.html

Please excuse me for being a little slow on the uptake, but don't these almost fit the requirements?
I mean, by sliding on a few extra 'shroud' pieces to the pins at each end, and perhaps in the middle, these would be adequate?
'Shroud' pieces can be slid off of standard pins headers with a bit of persuasion.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 07:00:36 pm »
I mean, by sliding on a few extra 'shroud' pieces to the pins at each end, and perhaps in the middle, these would be adequate?
'Shroud' pieces can be slid off of standard pins headers with a bit of persuasion.

An ingenious idea, but one problem: these stackable headers nearly all have 0.64x0.60mm pins (i.e. rectangular) and regular male pin headers are typically 0.64x0.64mm square, so the shrouds would just be all loose.

And anyway, I don't wanna have to do that dozens and dozens of times, nor waste a bunch of male pin header strips. :--

Samtech

Does no-one actually read the posts in threads any more? ::)

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 01:01:12 pm »
They never did.

Does no-one actually read the posts in threads any more? ::)
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 01:17:13 pm »
An ingenious idea, but one problem: these stackable headers nearly all have 0.64x0.60mm pins (i.e. rectangular) and regular male pin headers are typically 0.64x0.64mm square, so the shrouds would just be all loose.

And anyway, I don't wanna have to do that dozens and dozens of times, nor waste a bunch of male pin header strips. :--
Have you tried 3D printing some of the correct dimensions? Might take a few tries to get a snug fit, but the cost of material for such a small piece would be nearly nothing.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 01:46:03 pm »
I don't have, nor have access to, a 3D printer.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 10:07:16 pm »
Here you go: https://www.tinyosshop.com/raspberry-pi-extra-tall-header

Does it matter if the shroud pieces are a tiny bit loose? You push down the header, solder, it should hold it in place. And male header strips are incredibly cheap.
Your quantity is too low that the savings is not really worth it, $2*30pc is ~$60 in savings. Is it worth your time?
If you are really that cheap, you won't complain about having to do a bunch of extra steps  :D
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf