Author Topic: Where is a good source to but blue LED laser pointer  (Read 7541 times)

Offline raspberrypiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Where is a good source to but blue LED laser pointer
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »
Have you ever seen the one in Codys lab on youtube? I want to buy one of those but there are so may junk ones where they lie about the power output on ebay. Whats a normal price 150$?
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Where is a good source to but blue LED laser pointer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »
There is not much use of a blue laser pointer: the blue lasers at 405 nm are not very visible to the eye. Thus they are rather dark for the power. So if you stay below the safe limits, it is very dark, hardly visible.

The only blue laser pointer I saw was kind of scary: not very bright when pointed at normal materials, but really bright when pointing at a fluorescent paper. The scary part came when the  person using it showed the performance curve of the laser diode is probably used. The graph went up all the way to over 100 mW. The purpose of the pointer was not as a useful tool it was more presenting one of the first blue laser diodes (well before you could buy them).

AFAIK the blue laser diodes are usually quite powerful, but might need good cooling. So not sure there is much wrong with the quoted power - they are just not very visible to the eye. As they are low quantity units, the price can vary a lot. They may even be illegal (without a special permit) in some countries.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:48:01 pm »
I built one a few years ago with one of those 1W+ 445nm diodes from Casio projectors. I'm hesitant to suggest anyone do such a thing though as a pointer that powerful is illegal and quite dangerous. It will easily set paper on fire from across the room and getting hit in the eye is likely going to cause instantaneous and permanent injury.

You can get lower power blue diodes now in several wavelengths though, much more interesting than the 405nm bluray diodes which are more violet than blue.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:57:10 pm »
Have you ever seen the one in Codys lab on youtube? I want to buy one of those but there are so may junk ones where they lie about the power output on ebay. Whats a normal price 150$?

The laser Cody has is not a laser pointer, it is a VERY DANGEROUS HIGH POWER LASER. It would not be safe or advisable to own such a thing without knowing how to use it safely. Such a laser can easily cause permanent blindness to you or someone else. Even if I knew where to obtain one I would not feel comfortable sharing that information.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:36:08 pm »
There is not much use of a blue laser pointer: the blue lasers at 405 nm are not very visible to the eye. Thus they are rather dark for the power. So if you stay below the safe limits, it is very dark, hardly visible.
Yes, that's not blue but violet, bordering on UV, so no wonder it's dim.

Don't they sell blue laser pointers with a more sensible wavelength such as 440nm?

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:52:46 pm »

Don't they sell blue laser pointers with a more sensible wavelength such as 440nm?

They do, but the diodes are not commodity (unlike 405nm which are used in blue-ray players) as a result they are quite expensive.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 02:50:31 am »
I've had a long time interest in lasers, but there has always been one criteria that I have had, should I ever get one - at ANY power level ... and that is that is must be clearly VISIBLE.  This sort of thing up at the blue-violet-UV end would be something I would not want around - even at 1mW.

The burning risk I can deal with.  The vision risk is bad enough in the red to green range, but in the blue to UV range......  Let's just say I have a deep respect for the risk.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:13:38 am »
I have a 405nm laser from a HD-DVD drive I acquired shortly after that format died. It's not as if you can't see the spot, in fact many surfaces fluoresce bright blue. Otherwise it's a bit boring, but not invisible.

You'd have to try pretty hard to hurt yourself with 1mW. It would require staring directly into the thing for a prolonged period and that won't feel good. Modern laser diodes are readily available that can produce truly dangerous power levels though. Another thing you have to watch out for is green DPSS lasers, most of the cheap ones have no IR filter so you can have a totally invisible IR beam that is an order of magnitude more powerful than the one you can see.

Offline yuzuha

• Contributor
  • Retired mainframe computer programmer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 07:32:28 am »

I've seen wicked lasers has a 445nm blue laser at 3.5 watts.   Very dangerous and expensive at $200.   Also have a 405nm at 0.5 watt for the same price.   I'm wondering if anyone has laser diodes that emit down in the 265nm short wave UV region.
Pamela "Sue ikki
mi hatenu yume no
hotsure kana"

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:23:28 am »
I don't know of any diodes down there, the bandgap required becomes a bit silly.

For hard UV the usual approaches are pulsed N2 gas (Very easy to build, **very** high power but the pulses are measured in single digit feet in length and PRF is usually low), Argon ion (Energy HOG, inefficient), or third/fourth harmonic YAG (Available in solid state, but don't ask the price). 

Another pulsed option is Excimer laser, a high power pulsed gas laser using improbable chemistry with things like xenon fluoride (Yes you can make that if you kick one of the electrons in the xenon to a higher orbital first, the energy release when it comes apart is sufficient to produce a hard UV photon).

Nothing so far as I am aware doing with conventional diode based approaches. 

If you are going to play with class 4 kit, get appropriate eyewear and do it where  no light can escape to injure others, there is no excuse for a handheld class 4 laser, on a lab bench maybe, but the optical chain should be bolted down....

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:41:06 pm »

The laser Cody has is not a laser pointer, it is a VERY DANGEROUS HIGH POWER LASER. It would not be safe or advisable to own such a thing without knowing how to use it safely. Such a laser can easily cause permanent blindness to you or someone else. Even if I knew where to obtain one I would not feel comfortable sharing that information.

Im not an idiot. :) The purpose of it is to use it like he does in codys lab to remotely heat things. I need some thing to ignite things at a distance, its not a toy to play with. It would be used to ignite/heat small quantities of chemicals in sealed glass beakers under different atmospheres.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 05:09:00 pm »

Im not an idiot. :) The purpose of it is to use it like he does in codys lab to remotely heat things. I need some thing to ignite things at a distance, its not a toy to play with. It would be used to ignite/heat small quantities of chemicals in sealed glass beakers under different atmospheres.

I don't know what wattage Cody's is but I guess you could PM him on his channel and ask him.  Amazon sells various laser diodes of varying wattage.

https://www.amazon.com/445-450nm-1600mw-Module-w18x45mm-6-7-7-5V/dp/B01N2VB8S0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1489770502&sr=8-4-fkmr2&keywords=450+nanometer+laser+diode
PEACE===>T

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:15:15 pm »
I don't know what wattage Cody's is but I guess you could PM him on his channel and ask him.  Amazon sells various laser diodes of varying wattage.

Cody has talked about his laser in one of his videos and has mentioned where he obtained it. However, I seem to recall he was reluctant to provide too many details given the dangers to people untrained in how to handle such an item.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:19:10 pm by IanB »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »
It's not hard to build one, if you search for 445nm laser diode on ebay you can get the diodes, Aixiz is where I got the high quality glass collimating lenses, and for my lab laser I built a simple constant current driver using an L317. The whole project was fairly simple.

I cannot overstate the safety issues here though, even reflected radiation can cause eye damage. The spot on a wall is painful to look at.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »
This guy built one:

He's nuts...

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 11:09:44 pm »
It's not hard to build one, if you search for 445nm laser diode on ebay you can get the diodes,

Like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252667859784?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=40208335658&rlsatarget=pla-277438289453&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9046203&device=c&campaignid=738217568&crdt=0

Is 1W the input or output power? Can it be under-driven to a safe power level or will it be below the lasing threshold?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 12:02:26 am »
1W is the output power, IIRC that's with around 1A drive. They can be run at lower power but I've never tried to see where the lasing threshold is. There are lower power diodes available, more recently 515nm has appeared which is an unusual color.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 12:11:38 am »

https://www.amazon.com/445-450nm-1600mw-Module-w18x45mm-6-7-7-5V/dp/B01N2VB8S0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1489770502&sr=8-4-fkmr2&keywords=450+nanometer+laser+diode

I think thats my best bet and put it in a tube, seems like most sellers wont ship to the US. If I was cody I wouldnt tell people because some dumb kid will point it at his friends, blind one, and then it will be on the news the gov will freak out and ban them.

I have one of those green ones that will light matches if you focus it which is safe IF you dont get it or a reflection in your eyes. I always wear red iridium oakleys when I use it. Amazing how far you can see the beam at night. You can see the cloud bottoms. I did some math once and figured out it goes 1- 1/4 miles. The blue one might be brighter assuming the eye can pick it up at night with low clouds.

I actually just bought this and paid the 30 shipping so if it sucks I can cancel it within 30 days. Regular shipping wouldn't have it here until may. By may I will be into a totally new hobby and not want it anymore. That 30 hurts though, like shipping from ada fruit.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 05:08:50 am »
I'm sure that's one of the same Nichia diodes used in the XJ-A140 projectors. That housing looks identical to the one I used in my build. You can push them to 1.6W or more at the expense of somewhat reduced lifespan but they will last a long time doing 1W-1.2W. A good quality glass lens with AR coating for blue light makes a significant difference over the plain acrylic lens that comes with a lot of modules.

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 06:07:18 am »
... I always wear red iridium oakleys when I use it. Amazing how far you can see the beam at night. You can see the cloud bottoms...

If you can see the beam, then those glasses are totally useless. Sure, you're waving the beam around in clear air or onto clouds but if you get a direct hit or even specular reflection with that 1.6W blue, those glasses are going to do absolutely nothing for you.
If you're going to play with 1.6Watts get yourself a proper pair of laser safety glasses, rated at least* OD3+ at 445nm and good quality, not some random cheap $30 ebay crap.
Eagle Pair would be the cheapest I would recommend.

The cheapest laser glasses I own cost $150, and that is cheap.
My eyes are worth more than $150 to me.

* OD is optical density, OD3 is 10^3 = 1,000
So, for 1.6 Watts, 1600mW/1,000 = 1.6mW will make it through the glasses.
OD2 would pass 16mW and OD4 would pass 0.16mW (160nW) etc etc.

If you value your eyesight, it would be worth doing some research on laser safety glasses/goggles.

Have a good look at these threads and read every post and make sure you take notice of Xoul's profile picture... it should make your eyes water, for good reason.
1 Watt: http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html
only 5mW (!!): http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/laser-eye-damage-83085.html

The following users thanked this post: SimonD

Offline yuzuha

• Contributor
  • Retired mainframe computer programmer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 08:18:42 am »
Good warning.... lasers are pretty hazardous.
Pamela "Sue ikki
mi hatenu yume no
hotsure kana"

The following users thanked this post: james_s

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 05:04:58 am »
That laser rifle is crazy, but you notice hes wearing proper safety gear. There's no reason to be afraid of things when you take safety precautions.

I have a set of laser goggles on the way, since this is a class 4 laser I bought. It would be interesting to focus it and see how fast it burns things.

If you do buy one of these things don't tell the people on this forum, they will lecture you to death like you are some type of child.

So if you live in the US AU NZ or UK, you cant buy one of these, you have to buy it off amazon or ebay from china as just the laser and the driver. Then you have to make it into a laser pointer.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 07:50:39 am »
raspberrypi: Didn't your last thread of identical nature get locked because of your troll-ish questions?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 11:11:35 am »
@Halcyon. Yes it did. Now I'm waiting for him to start discussing what he wants to set fire to at a distance, and whether explosives are involved.
Darwin's a bit slow sometimes.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 12:38:34 am »
@Halcyon. Yes it did. Now I'm waiting for him to start discussing what he wants to set fire to at a distance, and whether explosives are involved.
Darwin's a bit slow sometimes.

I used to make shaped charges with HE when I was younger and we never had an incident. One mistake with that stuff and your vaporized.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf