General > General Technical Chat

Where on the official standards it says CAT cables must be pure copper?

<< < (3/3)

Alti:

--- Quote from: JonnyV on January 23, 2022, 05:40:53 am ---Although I couldn't find this link/mention in the previews of IEC-11801
--- End quote ---
Here you have an IEC 11801-1 preview of the 2017 version. Of course is the preview, just the informative part is freely available. And even if you had all the standard, this is of no use in our case because, as stated:

--- Quote from: 1: Scope ---NOTE This document does not contain specific conformance requirements. The cabling design documents supported by ISO/IEC 11801-1 incorporate the requirements of this document as part of their individual conformance requirements.
--- End quote ---

So you won't find conductor design details here and for specific terms you need to refer to standards that define these specific terms.

BTW, there is an updated 2020 revision of IEC 61156-5 but I cannot find a more descriptive preview. Click on History there to see there were several updates since 2002 version.

--- Quote from: Abstract ---IEC 61156-5:2020 describes the cables intended primarily for horizontal floor wiring as defined in ISO/IEC 11801. It covers cable designs comprising individually screened, common screened and unscreened pairs or quads.
--- End quote ---

Alti:
Nice source of previews from ITEH.

Extended preview of most recent IEC 61156-5:2020 (click preview).

Anyway, the Conductor chapter:

--- Quote from: IEC 61156-5:2020, 5.2.1 Conductor ---The conductor shall be a solid annealed copper conductor, in accordance with IEC 61156-1:2007, 5.2.1 and should have a nominal diameter between 0,4 mm and 0,65 mm. A conductor diameter of up to 0,8 mm may be used.
--- End quote ---

If you want to go deeper into IEC 61156-1:2007, extended preview.

And Conductor chapter from above preview (complete):

--- Quote from: 61156-1:2007, 5.2.1 Conductor ---The conductor shall consist of annealed copper, uniform in quality and free from defects. The properties of the copper shall be in accordance with IEC 60028.
The conductor may be either solid or stranded. The solid conductor shall be circular in
section and may be plain or metal-coated. The solid conductor shall be drawn in one piece.
Joints in the solid conductor are permitted, provided that the breaking strength of a joint is
not less than 85 % of the breaking strength of the unjointed solid conductor.
The stranded conductor shall consist of strands circular in section and assembled without
insulation between them by concentric stranding or bunched.
NOTE A bunched strand is not recommended for insulation displacement connection (IDC) application.
The individual strands of the conductor may be plain or metal-coated.
Joints in individual strands are permitted provided that the tensile strength of a joint is not
less than 85 % of the breaking strength of the unjointed individual strand. Joints in the
complete stranded conductor are not permitted unless allowed and specified in the relevant
detail specification.
The conductor of the work area and equipment cables may consist of one or more elements of
thin copper or copper alloy tape which shall be applied spirally over a fibrous thread. Joints in
the complete element are not permitted.
--- End quote ---

I leave it up to others to go deeper into IEC 60028 details of what copper conductor means in this context. But I bet my bottom dollar there is no chinesium in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version