General > General Technical Chat

Where on the official standards it says CAT cables must be pure copper?

(1/3) > >>

JonnyV:
I read on many websites that for a CAT cable to be considered standard, it has to be made of pure copper, and that CCA can't be called "standard cables"

But I've been looking around and didn't find any proof that it has to be made of pure copper (But I don't have access to the actual standards)

So is it true that CAT can be called "standard cat" only if it's made out of pure copper?

TimFox:
I do not have the standards, but using "pure" (i.e., OFHC or OFE) expensive copper instead of ETP or other alloys is not an "audiophool" delusion.  OFHC will handle far more flexing and bending before mechanical failure than the other alloys.  The old informal test for OFHC was to take a flat piece, roughly 1/8 in or 3 mm thick, and clamp it in a vise, then use a pliers to bend it back and forth until fracture.

ejeffrey:
Pure copper also has lower DCR which is important for PoE.

Alti:

--- Quote from: JonnyV on January 22, 2022, 02:53:23 pm ---I read on many websites that for a CAT cable to be considered standard
--- End quote ---

There is no such thing as "CAT cable". Take a look at IEC 61156 that defines electrical properties of various "Multicore and symmetrical pair/quad cables for digital communications". The "Category 5e cable" is most likely what "many websites" refer to. This is the most popular version, defined in part 5 of the standard. There it specifies sizes, colour coding, transfer impedances at various frequencies, delay propagation, crosstalk, etc.
Of course there is also a section 2.2.3 Conductor.

--- Quote from: IEC 61156-5, section 2.2.3 Conductor ---The conductor shall be a solid annealed copper conductor, (..)
--- End quote ---

Can a Category 5e cable with gold conductors exist? Nope, has to be annealed copper.
Can nude virgins make Category 5e cable from pure silver? Nope, has to be annealed copper.
Can you make Category 5e cable from superoverconducting unobtanium being in compliance with IEC 61156-5? Nope, annealed copper only.

So the question was: can you make a Category 5e cable from pure chinesium? Wait, let me think..

Of course IEC standards are quite expensive but the excerpts and previews are easily available.

JonnyV:
Thanks everyone!

--- Quote from: Alti on January 22, 2022, 05:29:20 pm ---
--- Quote from: JonnyV on January 22, 2022, 02:53:23 pm ---I read on many websites that for a CAT cable to be considered standard
--- End quote ---

There is no such thing as "CAT cable". Take a look at IEC 61156 that defines electrical properties of various "Multicore and symmetrical pair/quad cables for digital communications". The "Category 5e cable" is most likely what "many websites" refer to. This is the most popular version, defined in part 5 of the standard. There it specifies sizes, colour coding, transfer impedances at various frequencies, delay propagation, crosstalk, etc.
Of course there is also a section 2.2.3 Conductor.

--- Quote from: IEC 61156-5, section 2.2.3 Conductor ---The conductor shall be a solid annealed copper conductor, (..)
--- End quote ---

Can a Category 5e cable with gold conductors exist? Nope, has to be annealed copper.
Can nude virgins make Category 5e cable from pure silver? Nope, has to be annealed copper.
Can you make Category 5e cable from superoverconducting unobtanium being in compliance with IEC 61156-5? Nope, annealed copper only.

So the question was: can you make a Category 5e cable from pure chinesium? Wait, let me think..

Of course IEC standards are quite expensive but the excerpts and previews are easily available.

--- End quote ---

Wow that was the closest to what I'm looking for!

One of the websites I am talking about is this: https://www.copper.org/about/pressreleases/2011/pr2011_Mar_4.html

Quote:

The Telecommunications Industry Association's TIA 568C.2 specification (Section 5.3) requires compliance to ANSI/ICEA S-90-661-2006 and ANSI/ICEA S-102-732 which both include the following language: "Solid conductors shall consist of commercially pure, annealed, bare copper …"

But never found the sources for the written above.
So according to them, the TIA standard also define pure copper for CAT cables.

But now you confused me even more, because you said there is no such thing as CAT cable, so what it's all about?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version