Author Topic: #EEVBlog IRC channel on irc.austnet.org -- Update  (Read 1226 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
#EEVBlog IRC channel on irc.austnet.org -- Update
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:42:23 am »
For those of you who might not have access to the supporter's lounge, the EEVBlog has an IRC channel over on Austnet.

You can connect to it one of two ways, either use your favourite IRC client such as HexChat and connect to the server irc.austnet.org and join the #EEVBlog channel.

Alternatively you can use the web chat function and join the discussion straight from your web browser (a password or registered account is not needed).

We are working on other functionality behind the scenes so watch this thread for updates very soon!

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
Re: #EEVBlog IRC channel on irc.austnet.org -- Update
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 04:17:46 pm »
This seems dead, isn't it ? It doesn't work when using https://webchat.austnet.org/, and if using an irc client, the server keeps on disconnecting, you can't reach #eevblog. You get this message soon after (successfully) connecting to some of irc.austnet.org irc servers (rough translation):

[17:16] [Error] Connection to server irc.austnet.org (porta 6667) lost: the host has closed the connection

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:19:33 pm »
This seems dead, isn't it ? It doesn't work when using https://webchat.austnet.org/, and if using an irc client, the server keeps on disconnecting, you can't reach #eevblog. You get this message soon after (successfully) connecting to some of irc.austnet.org irc servers (rough translation):

[17:16] [Error] Connection to server irc.austnet.org (porta 6667) lost: the host has closed the connection

Everything seems to be OK. We have 32 users online now from all over the world. I also tested both the Austnet webchat and the embedded client on the EEVBlog website, both are also OK.

Sounds like a local issue. Are you accessing IRC behind a firewall (e.g.: at work)? Sounds like the common ports for IRC are being blocked on your end.
You may also have issues if you're attempting to connect via an anonymising VPN service.

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:35:55 pm »

Everything seems to be OK. We have 32 users online now from all over the world. I also tested both the Austnet webchat and the embedded client on the EEVBlog website, both are also OK.

Sounds like a local issue. Are you accessing IRC behind a firewall (e.g.: at work)? Sounds like the common ports for IRC are being blocked on your end.
You may also have issues if you're attempting to connect via an anonymising VPN service.

Ouch, really ?
I'm often using IRC, and never had any problem to connect to any network. I dont use any VPN, my (home) server doesn't block any port. I tried again and it still doesn't work from here. Using the ausnet web page i got an empty chat room with red "Disconnected from the irc network" at top-left, "connecting to channel..." in normal/grey.

Using an irc client, it manages to connect, give some information as is usual when connecting to an irc client, then disconnect ("The remote host closed the connection"), then connect again.. Meanwhile, I also receive private messages in loop saying only "TIME", from some servers *.au.austnet.org (onacloud, vegas, incognito, lego, ..)

Testing from https://www.eevblog.com/chat/ gives the same result as from the ausnet web page. It uses the same widget/iframe or whatever.

My conclusion is that it's not a network/firewall problem, but the irc server kicking me, but I dont understand why. Those "TIME" messages seem bogus, as well.. ;-(

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 11:10:23 pm »
Yeh very strange. Could you perhaps PM me a log of the connection attempt so I can look into it further.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf