Author Topic: Where to get decent, well priced plug packs?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline HarvsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Where to get decent, well priced plug packs?
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:31 am »
So I need to get a number (more than 10, less than 100), 5V ~1A AU plug packs (aka wall warts, power pack or by other names.)  Needs to support 500mA continuous without a heart attack.

Any tips on where to get reasonably priced, reasonable quality ones?  (i.e. basically the quality you'd get if you bought a phone, doesn't need to last forever, but must be safe.)

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where to get decent, well priced plug packs?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:15 am »
Jaycar would be my first stop.

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:08:00 am »
I'd try these http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/usb-rapid-charger/
I haven't used this EXACT one, I've used their older 1A model (i presume the 2A version would either be identical or better), and upon tearing down, seems pretty decent quality;

The pins go through the plastic of the case and have wires well soldered too them (not poorly), then there is a reasonably thick sheet of stiff adhesive backed plastic placed on top, to prevent anything from touching them.

The PCB sits on top of this plastic and has the wires soldered to it directly (no solder lugs), the active goes through a glass fuse and a resistor, rectified, then an inductor on the output of the rectifier, and 2 450v 105c caps (unknown brand) then into the switcher, through the transformer and out the secondary.

There is a large cutout between the primary side of the board and the secondary, there is an opto and a Y cap crossing the isolation as per usual.

The secondary is half wave rectified, then passed through a c-l-c to the output. I have not scoped the output, but I suspect it to be similar to that of an official HTC charge I have also recently torn down - if not better, as the HTC has less output capacticane and no inductor either, as well as a similar input stage.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:39 am »
We use the Mean Well branded ones from ADM.  They seem to be much more reliable than the ones from Altronics, Jaycar and WES Components.  They're not horrifically priced either.  Something like the GE12-5 (12W 5V) would be what you're after.  I don't think they make a lower wattage version.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:22:15 am by David_AVD »

Offline HarvsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »
Thanks Guys, that's a couple of options I didn't know about.

I probably would get one from Jaycar if I was just getting one.  But since I'm getting a small batch, it's worth shopping around.

Cheers

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 12:14:52 pm »
We got sick of the other brands crapping out in less than a year or two's fairly non-demanding use.  I don't think we've ever had a failure on a Mean Well  GExx series PSU.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf