Author Topic: Who knew you could measure UHF antenna's impedance with a DMM?  (Read 20820 times)

Offline kj5cnTopic starter

• Contributor
http://www.ehow.com/how_6085455_measure-uhf-antenna-resistance.html

Why oh why did I have to buy all those expensive RF gadgets??? :)

-Peter.

Offline DonRon

• Regular Contributor
Re: Who knew you could measure UHF antenna's impedance with a DMM?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:36:47 pm »
Hi Peter,

that's great!!!

I will sell my network analyzer immediately and buy one of these cheapo multimeters (don't think it will work with my expensive DMM).

Do you think i can use it to measure the impedance of my shortwave antennas??  :-)

Cheer's

Ronald

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:40:08 pm »
Yep, a half-wave dipole should show exactly 75 Ohms. Anything else - it's broken, throw it away  :)

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:46 pm »
Most yagi style TV antennas are 300 ohm impedance and use a 4:1 balun to balance to 75 ohm coax.  I couldn't resist but to post something on there.  They also have a nice article on measuring speaker impedance with a multimeter.   ::)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:20 pm »
They also have a nice article on measuring speaker impedance with a multimeter.   
that one i have done before with some level of success 8) but not the antenna one.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »
They also have a nice article on measuring speaker impedance with a multimeter.   
that one i have done before with some level of success 8) but not the antenna one.

Audio frequency is at least a neighbor of DC frequency.  :)

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »
Yep, a half-wave dipole should show exactly 75 Ohms. Anything else - it's broken, throw it away  :)

Oh... but you can bend it into shape to match Z0  :o

Offline Ajahn Lambda

• Regular Contributor
  • quecksilberdampfgleichrichter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:28:58 pm »
Most yagi style TV antennas are 300 ohm impedance and use a 4:1 balun to balance to 75 ohm coax.  I couldn't resist but to post something on there.

I saw that.  Nice.   ;D

They also have a nice article on measuring speaker impedance with a multimeter.  [/size] ::)

Ohferf*ckssake....!!!

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:00 pm »
I have a 70cm's aerial that is a square shape loop of 8mm dia aluminium tube resistance is near zero many tv aerials are of the same construction in the UK. I cannot imagine how they came up with their figures. But I had best throw out my long wire that appears to be open circuit (LOL). By the way have you read the related links like the one on measuring the output power on your TV aerial, they don't make it clear but I get the impression that they are talking about broadcast reception antennae, and are talking about up to 300 watts power.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:26:09 pm by G7PSK »

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:42 pm »
5. Turn off the multimeter to preserve the batteries.
Great tip!

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:37 pm »
6. Step away from the test equipment and never, ever write a guide again.

They missed this bit.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:57:21 pm »
And, BTW, in that related link about measuring UHF antenna's output power (whatever that means) there's finally a proper definition of SWR - it's Signal Wave Ratio:-*

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:04:21 am »
All that time wasted reading and digesting the ARRL Antenna Book, all that wasted money on test equipment, and all I needed was a $5.00 DMM...

Now I have to spend my birthday weekend ripping out all my carefully buried cable, climbing towers, removing antennas, and starting over with the PROPER equipment...

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 12:05:25 am »
6. Step away from the test equipment and never, ever write a guide again.

They missed this bit.

Thanks for the laugh!

Offline tekfan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:27 am »
I bet you can measure the characteristic impedance of a coax exactly the same way!  ;D
One can never have enough oscilloscopes.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:54:49 am »
It is sometimes a good idea to check the DC resistance of your feeder.----Easy if the antenna should look like a short,not so easy if you have to stand on the roof or up a stepladder or a tower, checking a dipole.
Of course,with the former,if there is a short at the other end ,you don't know if it's just the antenna,or a feeder short!

Strangely enough,there is something in the speaker impedance case--the resistance of a voice coil does give a fair idea of what the impedance may be,to the extent that you can tell the difference between different impedance speakers of similar kinds.Comparison between a 2" speaker & a 12" woofer may not work so well!  :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:37:12 am by vk6zgo »

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 01:07:57 am »
I'm trying to decide between:

or

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:15 am »
Guys, learn to read - the article title says:

"How to Measure UHF Antenna Resistance" (emphasis mine). And that is exactly what you would measure using that multimeter. The article never mentions impedance anywhere.

Is it useful to measure resistance on DC? Well, probably not so much, but you get what you asked for ...

Jan

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 11:35:46 am »
I'm trying to decide between:

or

Both's good  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 01:21:21 pm »
Guys, learn to read - the article title says:

"How to Measure UHF Antenna Resistance" (emphasis mine). And that is exactly what you would measure using that multimeter. The article never mentions impedance anywhere.

Is it useful to measure resistance on DC? Well, probably not so much, but you get what you asked for ...

It is about as useful as writing an article about how to measure the resistance of a banana.  It tells me absolutely nothing useful about it.

If you are curious:

How to Measure Banana Resistance

Instructions
  • Knock away and/or disconnect any mouth currently attached to the banana prior to testing.  If the banana peel is still attached, mock those who were trying to eat it in that form and remove.
  • Determine what the preferred resistance is by referring to the grower specifications or the nutritional information for the banana. 
            Note: The label may only list Conductivity (Vitamin C)  This is the inverse of Resistivity.  You can then calculate the intended resistance by multiplying the Resistivity by banana length and divide by banana cross sectional area.
  • Turn on the digital multimeter. Set the multimeter selector dial to the Ohms readings and to the range which will include the desired resistance obtained from step two. The Ohms setting will look like a horseshoe or the Greek symbol for Omega.  This is because resistance is good luck.
            Example: If the desired resistance for the banana is 45 k Ohms, then set the selector dial to read a range that includes 45 k Ohms.  Or get an auto ranging DMM, you cheap ass.
  • Insert one test probe to the end of the banana and simultaneously insert the other test probe to the outer end of the banana.  Resist the urge to eat the banana like corn on the cob.  Read the display while holding the test probes in place to get the resistance reading.
            For example, if the desired resistance is 1 M Ohms, but the reading on the display is much less than 1 M Ohms, the banana will not function at its peak performance and should only be eaten cut up on cereal.
  • Turn off the multimeter to preserve the batteries.  Put the peel back on the banana to preserve the banana.
  • If the banana passed ohmic quality control (and you used ROHM certified, food safe probes) you may consume the banana.
            Note: Please follow all laws regarding proper peel disposal, as these are an environmental slip hazard.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:49:19 pm by sacherjj »

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 02:48:42 pm »

Instructions

You should send all that to ehow.com - I'm sure they'd publish it right away!  :)

-Peter.

Offline K9SPY

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:16:28 pm »
Ehow has emerged as the most worthless site on the internet. It is precisely because of how RELEVANT it shows up on sooo many many google searches that I consider google to be near useless anymore. Of course, not that any OTHER search engine IS...!

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 11:25:26 pm »
  • Knock away and/or disconnect any mouth currently attached to the banana prior to testing.  If the banana peel is still attached, mock those who were trying to eat it in that form and remove.

Not sure why, but specifically that line cracked me up. Thank you  :)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:10:44 am »

Instructions
  • Determine what the preferred resistance is by referring to the grower specifications or the nutritional information for the banana. 
            Note: The label may only list Conductivity (Vitamin C)  This is the inverse of Resistivity.  You can then calculate the intended resistance by multiplying the Resistivity by banana length and divide by banana cross sectional area.
  • Turn on the digital multimeter. Set the multimeter selector dial to the Ohms readings and to the range which will include the desired resistance obtained from step two. The Ohms setting will look like a horseshoe or the Greek symbol for Omega.  This is because resistance is good luck.
            Example: If the desired resistance for the banana is 45 k Ohms, then set the selector dial to read a range that includes 45 k Ohms.  Or get an auto ranging DMM, you cheap ass.
  • Insert one test probe to the end of the banana and simultaneously insert the other test probe to the outer end of the banana.  Resist the urge to eat the banana like corn on the cob.  Read the display while holding the test probes in place to get the resistance reading.
            For example, if the desired resistance is 1 M Ohms, but the reading on the display is much less than 1 M Ohms, the banana will not function at its peak performance and should only be eaten cut up on cereal.
  • Turn off the multimeter to preserve the batteries.  Put the peel back on the banana to preserve the banana.
  • If the banana passed ohmic quality control (and you used ROHM certified, food safe probes) you may consume the banana.
            Note: Please follow all laws regarding proper peel disposal, as these are an environmental slip hazard.

Got my test setup ready  :)

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:20 pm »
I usually blacklist it using my Chrome browser personal block list plugin. Quite an annoyance, these content farms.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf