Author Topic: Battery powered homes in Austrailia with mention of government deals.  (Read 1537 times)

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Just ran into this docu... I know there are many Aussies here...
1 good mentioned deal is a 5K$ government rebate to add battery packs to your existing solar installation.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
Re: Battery powered homes in Austrailia with mention of government deals.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:46:04 am »
It should be borne in mind that there is no such thing as a government rebate. The government has no money. The handout is money taken from other Australian citizens, either as taxation or as surcharges on energy bills. As such, it could be viewed as stealing.   :--

Since the handout money has to come from somewhere, if everyone took up this offer, then the overall cost would be no different than if there were no handout. The advantage only exists when it applies to a priveleged minority. So, in effect what is being created here is a subset of the population who are allowed to steal from the rest. Worse, the people most likely to take up the offer are the rich, whilst the poor will suffer the consequences of increased taxation or energy bills.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Miyuki

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »
... Worse, the people most likely to take up the offer are the rich, whilst the poor will suffer the consequences of increased taxation or energy bills.  >:D

You are completely correct. The Labor Party with Kevin Rudd as PM concocted a scheme for solar rebates. It got out of control. Taxpayers funded most of my installation. I get 66 cents rebate per kWh from solar, but the electricity I use only costs around 28 cents per kWh. Over summer I pay my bills are next to nothing. I use computers, air conditioner, TV etc to my heart's content :-+.

Poor people and ignorant people mostly missed out, as did all flat dwellers and most renters. They were locked out when the government axed newcomers to the scheme. It is the fault of appallingly bad government policy, and politicians who serve their own personal interests first and foremost >:D. Lack of affordable housing for the poor is an example here where the government have engineered a culture where it is every man for himself.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:02:10 pm »
It should be borne in mind that there is no such thing as a government rebate. The government has no money. The handout is money taken from other Australian citizens, either as taxation or as surcharges on energy bills. As such, it could be viewed as stealing.   :--

Since the handout money has to come from somewhere, if everyone took up this offer, then the overall cost would be no different than if there were no handout. The advantage only exists when it applies to a priveleged minority. So, in effect what is being created here is a subset of the population who are allowed to steal from the rest. Worse, the people most likely to take up the offer are the rich, whilst the poor will suffer the consequences of increased taxation or energy bills.  >:D
If everyone does it, it's the same result, except that the greater good has been helped by accelerating solar power adoption, ridding the nation of oil and coal dependency.

Obviously, living in a society is all about your bottom line and not a common cause, making things better for each other. Right?

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:15:39 pm »
The problem with battery systems on houses is at the moment, the cost to install the system outweighs the price of electricity if you were to just buy it from the grid. In most case double or more.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 11:18:06 pm »
The problem with battery systems on houses is at the moment, the cost to install the system outweighs the price of electricity if you were to just buy it from the grid. In most case double or more.
I agree. Assuming full swing of a 13kWh battery pack every day and a 30c buy/6c sell price for your electricity, thats only $3 per day assuming you can extract the full value out of it and no longer use the grid for storage. Another $1 a day if you're game enough to disconnect from the gird entirely. $4 per day, compared to an installed cost of $10,000 its unlikely to payback even in best case use conditions and the grid is still a cheaper storage mechanism. Yet you see all the glossy "news" articles about people installing battery systems and saving $$$$$$$  when it was actually the solar system they installed at the same time making all the difference and subsidising the loss making battery.

It only becomes interesting if you're off grid and using diesel generators regularly.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 11:39:16 pm »
... Worse, the people most likely to take up the offer are the rich, whilst the poor will suffer the consequences of increased taxation or energy bills.  >:D

You are completely correct. The Labor Party with Kevin Rudd as PM concocted a scheme for solar rebates. It got out of control. Taxpayers funded most of my installation. I get 66 cents rebate per kWh from solar, but the electricity I use only costs around 28 cents per kWh. Over summer I pay my bills are next to nothing. I use computers, air conditioner, TV etc to my heart's content :-+.

Poor people and ignorant people mostly missed out, as did all flat dwellers and most renters. They were locked out when the government axed newcomers to the scheme. It is the fault of appallingly bad government policy, and politicians who serve their own personal interests first and foremost >:D. Lack of affordable housing for the poor is an example here where the government have engineered a culture where it is every man for himself.

I deliberately missed the previous solar rebate and installed mine after it finished. Probably a dumb move on my part.
My mum got in on the scheme and didn't pay for power for like the last 5 years or something.
If they offer this again for batteries then it will be another huge rush just like it was for panels.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:42:58 pm by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:41:46 pm »
I agree. Assuming full swing of a 13kWh battery pack every day and a 30c buy/6c sell price for your electricity, thats only $3 per day assuming you can extract the full value out of it and no longer use the grid for storage.

I'm currently about 28c but 9c sell (it just increased from 6c, I'm not sure why). Makes the economics pretty bad, but it would be cool to have a pack and know I will have 24/7 power in any blackout.
I'm currently looking for the best option for this. First I've heard of any $5k gov rebate though, is this a done thing?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf