Author Topic: Why do people assume if youre a girl that you don't understand electronics?  (Read 26278 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
If you need your troops to shoot no matter what women are going to struggle especially if ordered to kill women and children like in Iraq.
same for men, in WW2 something like 1 out of 4 soldiers could not pull the trigger on the enemy forces!
I saw many documentaries where the army started brainwashing soldiers by letting them "play" often in simulators so they don't think about it anymore and perceive it as a game. Famous the helicopter scene that was leaked to the press a few years back, they just act as it is a game. What about drones, no more consciousness, it is a videoscreen making it as abstract as possible.
Anyway entirely different discussion.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
If you need your troops to shoot no matter what women are going to struggle especially if ordered to kill women and children like in Iraq.
same for men, in WW2 something like 1 out of 4 soldiers could not pull the trigger on the enemy forces!
I saw many documentaries where the army started brainwashing soldiers by letting them "play" often in simulators so they don't think about it anymore and perceive it as a game. Famous the helicopter scene that was leaked to the press a few years back, they just act as it is a game. What about drones, no more consciousness, it is a videoscreen making it as abstract as possible.
Anyway entirely different discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killology

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
I’m not aware of any human language which doesn’t use gender in pronouns.

Turkish and Farsi don't use gendered pronouns. I suspected this because my friends who speak those languages natively sometimes swap he for she, or vice-versa. There's a wikipedia page about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality_in_genderless_languages

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
If Wikipedia is to be believed, here is a relevant reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality_in_genderless_languages

...and on the other hand, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, German (and most probably others) gender absolutely everything in a binary form. No neutral pronoun.

Now try to change that|O

(edit) check the two posts below.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:35:21 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline mbless

• Regular Contributor

...and on the other hand, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, German (and most probably others) gender absolutely everything in a binary form. No neutral pronoun.

Now try to change that|O

Nitpicking here, but there are neuter pronouns in Spanish (demonstrative and possessive come to mind). They typically refer to objects and not people, though.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

Now try to change that|O
German has three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter. But of course, grammatical gender needn’t align with a human’s gender. Notably in German, “girl” is neuter (because it’s a diminutive), so a girl is referred to as “it” if previously referred to as “a girl”. But if the girl has been named, then she becomes “she”.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
All this gender business came from Latin, of course. Though, where Latin got it from, heaven knows. Etruscan, maybe?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
All this gender business came from Latin, of course. Though, where Latin got it from, heaven knows. Etruscan, maybe?
Nonsense. Latin being the root of all grammar is a myth spread by Latin snobs over the years. (There have been some artificial examples, like the prescriptivist grammarians in English declaring that "split infinitives are bad, mmkay?", because in Latin they really were bad, but in English a) the "split infinitives" aren't actually split infinitives, since "to" isn't part of the infinitive at all, and b) the so-called split infinitive structure is absolutely compliant with English's germanic grammar.)

What spreads among languages is vocabulary.

Lots of languages have grammatical gender, including languages that aren't related. Latin didn't have to "get it" from Etruscan, since Latin (like its entire branch of languages) already had it.

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba

Now try to change that|O
German has three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine, and neuter. But of course, grammatical gender needn’t align with a human’s gender. Notably in German, “girl” is neuter (because it’s a diminutive), so a girl is referred to as “it” if previously referred to as “a girl”. But if the girl has been named, then she becomes “she”.

Back way off topic you said "eagle gay/leather bars". Is this just a fashion or does it mean that's a meet up place for people in BDSM communities? I have always wanted to by one of those things that looks like a one piece bathing suit buy is made out of black shiny leather. Like the dominatrix's wear. Is that the sort of things people wear to leather bars? I have the shiny black leather knee high pointy 3" heel boots to go with it. Whip optional. I bet I could wear that to the local electronics store and get the attention of the male staff to respect me!  :-DD
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor

Back way off topic you said "eagle gay/leather bars". Is this just a fashion or does it mean that's a meet up place for people in BDSM communities? I have always wanted to by one of those things that looks like a one piece bathing suit buy is made out of black shiny leather. Like the dominatrix's wear. Is that the sort of things people wear to leather bars? I have the shiny black leather knee high pointy 3" heel boots to go with it. Whip optional. I bet I could wear that to the local electronics store and get the attention of the male staff to respect me!  :-DD

:-DD :-DD :-DD   Sooooooo far off topic indeed but I suspect the boys in the local electronics store would be at your feet in seconds.

(oh, and it's more likely latex)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 02:45:27 pm by CJay »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

:-DD :-DD :-DD   Sooooooo far off topic indeed but I suspect the boys in the local electronics store would be at your feet in seconds.
Probably but at that point the brain power will come from somewhere else so don't expect any kind of answer to technical questions. It would result in a funny video though. Maybe Beamin can start a Youtube channel about the difficulties women meet when doing/shopping 'typical' male stuff.

BTW to get more on topic: my wife doesn't know how to operate a sewing machine but I do so I get the chores which involve using the sewing machine. This also means I need supplies every now and then so I know all about the treatment you get when you are shopping for things that are usually bought by the opposite sex.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:06:00 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
BTW to get more on topic: my wife doesn't know how to operate a sewing machine but I do so I get the chores which involve using the seqing machine. This also means I need supplies every now and then so I know all about the treatment you get when you are shopping for things that are usually bought by the opposite sex.
IME this is somewhat similar in baby/children's supply stores, or when you need to change your baby but changing tables are in woman's restrooms only. Some of it is changing, but still slowly.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor

(oh, and it's more likely latex)

I can whip a candle flame out with a four foot whip with just the little red string on the end not knocking over the candle. "Give me a discount of 30% on a new scope NOW! And I don't want to hear you have to ask for your manager I want to hear you beg. CRACK! "YEOWwww I mean … yyyeyess mistress!".
Gets me thinking I know I would be good at that from experience of the opposite gender... Skills transferable will put that on my resume' along with has her own uniform..

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor

Now try to change that|O

Neither. The gay leather scene is, IMHO, rather different from the BDSM scene at large, even if there is some overlap in practices.

So no, you wouldn’t really see women in patent leather leotards at a gay leather bar, because they’re fundamentally hypermasculine spaces. You’d be much better off at a BDSM/fetish event not specifically targeted at gay men, or at a goth/industrial event.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Quote from: Beamin link=topic=110923.msg1636655#msg1636655 date=
I'm still interested in building electronics and other things but I find that time is divided with things like putting on make up for 30+ minutes a day. I never liked make up before and thought it was a necessary chore. Or clothes shopping etc. I now understand why you could buy something with no intrinsic value just because "it was cute". If you really want to figure women out take estrogen for a week. When I first took it I thought: "This is amazing! Everyone should feel like this!" It was almost like being on drugs. But my brain is probably wired for it.

All of your posts in this thread seem to me to still exhibit a male concept of what "a women is like".
I'm not a woman, but I was brought up in a family of strong women, & have been married (virtually "joined at the hip") to my wife for 40+ years.

She is my love, my best friend, the person who is always there for me,---- she doesn't need to put on "airs & graces.
Most women are not all that "giggly & girly", & would battle to find the time to spend "30 minutes putting on makeup"----5 minutes would be more like it!

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
I've been dealing with a second round of IV antibiotics, so I was in the hospital and feeling woozy and very tired from them. I tried to post a few times, but passed out from how tired they are making me.
I'm still interested in building electronics and other things but I find that time is divided with things like putting on make up for 30+ minutes a day. I never liked make up before and thought it was a necessary chore. Or clothes shopping etc. I now understand why you could buy something with no intrinsic value just because "it was cute". If you really want to figure women out take estrogen for a week. When I first took it I thought: "This is amazing! Everyone should feel like this!" It was almost like being on drugs. But my brain is probably wired for it.

All of your posts in this thread seem to me to still exhibit a male concept of what "a women is like".
I'm not a woman, but I was brought up in a family of strong women, & have been married (virtually "joined at the hip") to my wife for 40+ years.

She is my love, my best friend, the person who is always there for me,---- she doesn't need to put on "airs & graces.
Most women are not all that "giggly & girly", & would battle to find the time to spend "30 minutes putting on makeup"----5 minutes would be more like it!
I never lost my love for electronics. I did loose it for doing mechanical stuff like machining, automotive repair and enhancement. I also lost my desire to race cars. When young I wanted to compete in endurance racing. I even took 4 weeks of GT level race training classes when I was 17. I still love the design process, but make it, forget it. On the flip side, I can design a dress as good as the best of them can, and I can sew it too. I also do photography, paint, make sculptures, and jewelry. The main reason I have the "masculine" hobbies is I was pushed into doing them when young.

Makeup for a transwoman is a bit more involved due to needing to possibly cover up stubble, and contouring the face to make it look more feminine. Still, it can be done fast by someone experienced. I was taught by the makeup artists that did the models we used at the studios I learned at. So I was never slow. I could make my face look a decade older, and do stuff like full feathering on and around the eyelids in under 10 minutes. For one of the makeup artists that is a 5 minute job. More time will be spent on figuring out what is the best way to highlight the face than doing the makeup application, but when you have an already plotted out routine it goes very fast. Where the time gets spent is when the client says no freckles. I've had my full upper body covered in makeup to hide my freckles. Now try to put a dress on without smudging it. It's a 2 plus helper job. Between lighting changes, I used to help the stylists do the clothing changes, and sometimes I'd fill in for a no show model.

Transwomen tend to be on the more girly side. If they weren't, then they may have been able to deal with the female side of their nature without needing to transition. Yeah, not all transgenders need to transition. Those that do need to transition, need it to keep functioning.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Super Contributor
I've been dealing with a second round of IV antibiotics, so I was in the hospital and feeling woozy and very tired from them. I tried to post a few times, but passed out from how tired they are making me.

I never lost my love for electronics. I did loose it for doing mechanical stuff like machining, automotive repair and enhancement. I also lost my desire to race cars. When young I wanted to compete in endurance racing. I even took 4 weeks of GT level race training classes when I was 17. I still love the design process, but make it, forget it. On the flip side, I can design a dress as good as the best of them can, and I can sew it too. I also do photography, paint, make sculptures, and jewelry. The main reason I have the "masculine" hobbies is I was pushed into doing them when young.

Makeup for a transwoman is a bit more involved due to needing to possibly cover up stubble, and contouring the face to make it look more feminine. Still, it can be done fast by someone experienced. I was taught by the makeup artists that did the models we used at the studios I learned at. So I was never slow. I could make my face look a decade older, and do stuff like full feathering on and around the eyelids in under 10 minutes. For one of the makeup artists that is a 5 minute job. More time will be spent on figuring out what is the best way to highlight the face than doing the makeup application, but when you have an already plotted out routine it goes very fast. Where the time gets spent is when the client says no freckles. I've had my full upper body covered in makeup to hide my freckles. Now try to put a dress on without smudging it. It's a 2 plus helper job. Between lighting changes, I used to help the stylists do the clothing changes, and sometimes I'd fill in for a no show model.

Transwomen tend to be on the more girly side. If they weren't, then they may have been able to deal with the female side of their nature without needing to transition. Yeah, not all transgenders need to transition. Those that do need to transition, need it to keep functioning.

• Super Contributor

I find it interesting that my posts came off as male. I do tend to go into guy mode when I'm on this forum and doing other guy things. This forum turns on the logic side of my brain. What else seemed male (serious question)? This is something I'm trying to change as my feminine side comes out more and more but I still have years of trying to hide the female side that I'm trying to let go of.
I'll often find myself sitting "dainty" then realize I'm out in public, sit like a male then realize that I'm not sitting like a girl, and go back to the way I first was sitting; legs/feet up on the chair under one side of me or feet together etc.

It would interesting to tape myself doing something girly or something manly and see if my mannerisms change. These can make the difference in being called he vs she.

You would be surprised at how often girls will talk about PMS or menstrual cramps when they think they are talking to a girl. Never had a conversation like that as a guy. Earlier this morning a women said to me "Honey... don't even get me started on that. That time of the month just started for me." To which I replied "I hate it when my bitch is on the rag; no pussy for a week!"... :) well not really I told her about how I cry in public now due to hormones. When people see a girl crying they react differently then a guy to say the least but I get quite upset when the store runs out of chocolate ice cream! Moral of the story when your sig other is upset over little things take it seriously; it doesn't feel little to her.   

I understand where you say you need to transition, I felt like I was acting my whole life, hiding by being overly macho. Things like electronics came before puberty when I was still happy and now in my 30's all my old hobbies like this, ham radio, and artistic hobbies have all come back and my other hobbies like MMA(It doesn't hurt to get thrown into the walls of it), tae kwon do, and adrenaline sports. I have almost no desire to anyways, not like I could, my muscles are totally gone replaced by soft arms and legs. That's what men are for: to lift heavy shit so we don't have to! That and earning money so we can stay at home!

I wonder what would happen if I started crying because the electronics store doesn't have what I want in stock? At some point this will happen and I'll post in the "What did you get for free today because you cried in front of the sales people" thread. Crying actually feels good since I wasn't able to do it for so long.

Transwomen are different then regular women in that most are hyper feminine. For our whole lives we couldn't act girly so we now have to cram it all in. Putting on make up and looking pretty is a release rather than a chore. Plus I think they just are that way; I hate wearing pants when I can wear a dress, especially in summer. Having your butt touch things takes some getting used to especially if wearing a thong or lace!

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
There’s always Jeri Ellsworth.

Take a girl, give her a strength in a “guy thing”, and you get that with all of the typical girl strengths as well.
Technical fields probably miss out on a fair bit if it’s lack of encouragement that deters, etc.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page

Take a girl, give her a strength in a “guy thing”, and you get that with all of the typical girl strengths as well.
Technical fields probably miss out on a fair bit if it’s lack of encouragement that deters, etc.
Or more recently Micah Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Petkus.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor

Or more recently Micah Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Petkus.

That's who I was thinking of. Although in the first video I saw I thought she was a guy from her voice.

She builds crazy complex things fast. She seems self taught although I could be wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf