Author Topic: Why do people spend so much money on smart tvs  (Read 12347 times)

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Why do people spend so much money on smart tvs
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:52:12 am »
i really don't understand why people spend so much money on smart tvs when you can buy the same or similar tv for a lot less without the smart tv functions and save yourself a lot of money you could just get for around $30nzd a android tv box that comes with remote or for around $20 a mini hdmi pc stick that would be able to do a lot more then any smart tv could unless the smart tv is running android

or you could get a chrome cast device for like $10nzd and just use your phone or tablet with your tv

smart tv are just a big ripoff
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:57:03 am by sony mavica »
MORE POWER!

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Why do people spend so much money on smart tvs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:57:01 am »
I believe most people just don't quite understand the limitations vs pricing. And of course, I haven't looked into how long it is before the companies stop updating the smart functions.  You are right, but I think a vast majority of people don't know any better.
Gone for good

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica, nugglix

Offline sony mavicaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:08:50 am »
I believe most people just don't quite understand the limitations vs pricing. And of course, I haven't looked into how long it is before the companies stop updating the smart functions.  You are right, but I think a vast majority of people don't know any better.

yeah my friend just got a new smart tv for $1650nzd they where selling basically the same tv for $1000 just without the smart tv functions i tried to tell him that it was a ripoff spending $650 more when for like $30 he could get an android box that would be much better but he thought i was just being cheap but i told him it was better he just seemed to get really annoyed with me till like a week latter he came over to my house saw my tv setup with android tv box now he is really angry he wasted an extra $650
MORE POWER!

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:34:23 am »
Some of us are in fact in the know and use them for a specific reason, the difference in price between the equivalent smart and non-smart TV when we purchased ours was fifty bucks but it had double the HDMI and USB inputs in addition to a host of other features including a better resolution screen.

To each their own and a blanket statement that they are crap and a waste of money is just misconstrued and ill informed, do the research and compare the differences irrespective of the browser abilities, in addition depending on your location some retail outlets now carry very little in the way of choice between with or without so the only option left for consumers is to go with a smart TV. 

One single sample.
http://www.lg.com/au/lgcompf4/compare/compare.lg?category=/au/tvs   

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:14:18 am »
Keep in mind though, different countries vary. Some stuff here is way more expensive than it should be. Anyways. Staff at the chain stores here have no clue what they can or cannot do. Someone I know went and bought a tv to connect to and display their Iphone screen on, salesperson claimed tv could do it, but it could not, so said person also bought an apple tv box. Of course the didn't call before purchasing. But oh well.
Gone for good

The following users thanked this post: sony mavica

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 03:56:36 am »
There are more hidden cost besides the visible.

No so long ago (last April? or was it April the year before) youtube sunset older versions of youtube viewer(s).  My set-top box had youtube viewer function until then.  Smart TV probably have firmware update as well, but like my set-top box, eventually that stops.  Probably a lot of smart TV with older youtube viewer also lost youtube viewing function.  I don't watch youtube except on my laptop so loosing it on but set-top box is no big deal.  But if I want to, I can get another set top box without throwing out the TV...

TV's with XBOX2 built-in, what do you do with it now with XBOX3?

The more functions added, the more the problem.  I prefer clean simple solutions.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:17:44 am »

No so long ago (last April? or was it April the year before) youtube sunset older versions of youtube viewer(s).  My set-top box had youtube viewer function until then.  Smart TV probably have firmware update as well, but like my set-top box, eventually that stops.  Probably a lot of smart TV with older youtube viewer also lost youtube viewing function.  I don't watch youtube except on my laptop so loosing it on but set-top box is no big deal.  But if I want to, I can get another set top box without throwing out the TV...

The more functions added, the more the problem.  I prefer clean simple solutions.

+1 for this.

TV manufacturers want to move on to the next model - and they want you to move on too!  The 'smart' parts of your TV are not going to be updated for more than a few years, if that.  Do you really want to buy a new big-screen TV every few years?  Probably not, so, like Rick says, you'll have to live with a TV that has a few broken features.

What about security bugs?  If your TV is connected to the net and there's a security bug in the app or the OS (typically some flavor of Linux), how long will the vendor supply security updates?  If no fix is available, do you have to take your smart TV offline and turn it into a dumb TV?

Muttley, you make a good point in the case where the smart and dumb units have different hardware features, but when I buy my next TV, I'll be looking for a big, dumb TV.  If the other features I want are only available on a smart TV, I'll be checking to make sure that it will do what I want without being online and without the smart features getting in my face and annoying me!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 05:15:42 am »
Please don't get me wrong as I also had serious concerns in relation to privacy and the ability of a device such as this to remotely broadcast our browsing and viewing activities, In particular after discovering the LG Smart TV Spying On Owners blog linked below and after purchasing our TV in March 2014 took steps to ensure that we were not going to be another victim.

That said I have always had concerns in relation to the firmware upgrades which have been readily available since the day of purchase and the user does have the option to disable updates, I did another one only last week and don't really know why as again nothing is different, in all honesty other than the first couple we did nothing has ever changed in regards to features, options or usability yet they are always in the order of 600 megabytes, I wonder if that is our history log going out without consent. We use this unit in only the most basic form and do not use any of the additional LG bullshit signup plugin subscriptions.

Our bedroom TV.
http://www.lg.com/au/tvs/lg-32LA6230

LG Are Parasites.
http://doctorbeet.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 05:18:33 am »

Also, a lot of Cable and DBS boxes include YouTube (and even NetFlix/Hulu) functionality already, and those pretty much constantly receive software updates (and if you've got an outdated box they'll normally give you a new model for free). DirecTV is particularly good about this.

Some Cable and FIOS boxes don't even require you to connect the box to your internet for the YouTube functionality! (Obviously satellite does, but still...)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:32 am »
Samsung even warns you that their smart TVs that have voice response capability are, in fact, evesdropping and reporting your every word to Samsung? someone else?

"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party."

Can you imagine?  "Quiet!  The TV's listening!"   :wtf:

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 05:44:22 am »
Also, a lot of Cable and DBS boxes include YouTube (and even NetFlix/Hulu) functionality already, and those pretty much constantly receive software updates (and if you've got an outdated box they'll normally give you a new model for free). DirecTV is particularly good about this.

Some Cable and FIOS boxes don't even require you to connect the box to your internet for the YouTube functionality! (Obviously satellite does, but still...)

Nothing much worth watching on TV anymore.  I cut the cord (so to speak) 3 or 4 years ago.  So, I don't have a cable box.  My set-top box is only for my NetFlix, plus some old DVD-ISO's.

Even Netflix doesn't have much worth watching anymore.

NetFlix library appears to have a very interesting relationship to the size of the universe.  As the universe's expansion appears to be accelerating faster and faster, NetFlix library appears to be shrinking faster and faster.  In a few more years, the entire NetFlix library could fit on a single 8 inch floppy.  You know, just the latest Netflix Original animated GIF's streamed live to your TV for your evening entertainment...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:58:58 am by Rick Law »

The following users thanked this post: Homer J Simpson

Offline SpaceCow

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 03:37:56 pm »
Samsung even warns you that their smart TVs that have voice response capability are, in fact, evesdropping and reporting your every word to Samsung? someone else?

"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party."

Sounds like something straight out of Orwell.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
i really don't understand why people spend so much money on smart tvs

I really don't understand why people buy TVs ,frigging waste of time, I live happily without one, my 27" imac is more than enough

Offline Scutarius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 04:35:07 pm »

I really don't understand why people buy TVs ,frigging waste of time, I live happily without one, my 27" imac is more than enough

Sometimes It's a matter of convenience, I like Dave Jones phrase, the right tool for the job, personally I tune the news just for background noise, I mean background speech.

What's your choice on Android boxes?

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 06:02:48 pm »

Sounds like something straight out of Orwell.
What do you mean sounds like? The "Television" listening to people and broadcasting propogander is one of the main parts of 1984
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline CraigHB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
I'm definitely not making the TV makers happy with my buying a TV maybe once a decade.  I prefer a TV that's mainly just a monitor with all my smart functions powered by a home theater box of some kind.  Personally I would cut the cord myself and just use the TV for recorded content, but my wife it pretty much a TV hound and watches a lot of commercial shows.  No way that would fly with her, but would be fine with me.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 07:09:00 pm »
In Europe most TV's come with SmartTV functionality. I don't see a big price difference between TV's with or without SmartTV module. Actually it is probably quite difficult to find a TV without it.

Pricewise you can right now purchase a Hitachi 43" TV with UHD resolution and SmartTV functionality for 355 Euro. It doesn't get cheaper than that...

Regarding separate Android boxes: most of them are cheap, including the Raspberry Pi used with OpenELEC and XBMC/KODI.

*** But IMHO all of them suck. ***

There, I said it. They suck as much or even more than the SmartTV modules in the TV's.

Plus: Nothing comes close to having just one TV in front of you, one remote and even the wife is able to go to the movies folder of the network PnP server and pick a movie.

With an external box, you have to:

a) turn it on
b) wait for it to boot
c) change input on TV
d) grab the other remote
e) hope that everything is working

And most devices I have tested are slowwwww.

I have an LG and a Samsung, both with SmartTV module. Much nicer to watch movies in PnP network.

Browser, Youtube, etc.? Slow like hell and text input is a pain.

But for that I use my tablet, smartphone or PC.

Cheers,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 07:27:57 pm »

Don't worry ,soon they will intall minicamera on TV and we won't be able to hide.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:32:42 pm by vodka »

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 08:12:42 pm »

Well.. For one, none of my 27" screens are in front of the couch and I enjoy the 55" greatness.. And the hi-fi around it, which none of my 27" have.

And congrats to you wire cutters, you're all special little snowflakes - go post about it on Facebook.

I enjoy my cable, even though I rarely actually sit in front of the tv, and Netflix, YouTube and others on my LG SmartTV. All of which work fine and is fast to use. I did not buy it for its smart features or 4k but I do enjoy those features and the gorgeous screen. I also only have to use a total of one device to control it (remote, phone or tablet). I don't do pirate content anymore nor do I browse on the tv or anything else that would benefit from an Android box or SFF computer. It does not have microphone nor camera btw.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 08:17:38 pm »
makes you wonder what happened to all the 3D and curved  television set's  people have bought going back to 2012.
 now out of date.   TV remote control design is still a problem.  >:D  maybe we need hardware upgradeable TV's
with plug in pcb's. like PC desktop computers ?   add or replace the parts you want.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:39:24 pm by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 08:23:20 pm »
Well.. For one, none of my 27" screens are in front of the couch and I enjoy the 55" greatness.. And the hi-fi around it, which none of my 27" have.
I said I don't have a TV, but I said nothing about owning or not big screens  ::) Its about the content, not the size...

And congrats to you wire cutters, you're all special little snowflakes - go post about it on Facebook.
Oh, you post it, I don't have a farcebook account, even less time wasted and happier :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:29:56 pm by MasterTech »

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:11 pm »
In Europe most TV's come with SmartTV functionality. I don't see a big price difference between TV's with or without SmartTV module. Actually it is probably quite difficult to find a TV without it.

Pricewise you can right now purchase a Hitachi 43" TV with UHD resolution and SmartTV functionality for 355 Euro. It doesn't get cheaper than that...

Regarding separate Android boxes: most of them are cheap, including the Raspberry Pi used with OpenELEC and XBMC/KODI.

*** But IMHO all of them suck. ***

There, I said it. They suck as much or even more than the SmartTV modules in the TV's.

Plus: Nothing comes close to having just one TV in front of you, one remote and even the wife is able to go to the movies folder of the network PnP server and pick a movie.

With an external box, you have to:

a) turn it on
b) wait for it to boot
c) change input on TV
d) grab the other remote
e) hope that everything is working

And most devices I have tested are slowwwww.

I have an LG and a Samsung, both with SmartTV module. Much nicer to watch movies in PnP network.

Browser, Youtube, etc.? Slow like hell and text input is a pain.

But for that I use my tablet, smartphone or PC.

Cheers,
Vitor

+1

It's a matter of convenience.

I'd rather have 1 screen that does it all, 1 remote (or even toss that one out of the window and use my mobile as remote, which I do currently), 1 power chord, 1 antenna chord (2 if using both cable and sat which isn't needed in my area), 1 CAT6 cable (prefer WiFi) and not much more than that on my wall/TV stand, than 1 screen, 1 cable top box, (1 sat top box), 1 android top box, HUGE amount of cable mess and power adapters...etc, etc...

NICE AND CLEAN setup is much better! And almost same price too.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 08:38:37 pm »
Maybe the question is: why don't the big brands just make screen > 42" with just a HDMI hub (basically a monitor)? Their is software is all utter sh!t. Its slow, hardly updated, adds nothing (beside frustration). There are already a ton of setup boxes, who uses the built-in feature anyway? Mine is just a glorified monitor. I added my VuDuo 2 (satellite) and AppleTV.

Another annoying thing is, there are hardly any worthy apps: Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, etc.. are often not available. Yeah a fireplace app, duh ! :wtf:

A screen should last at least 5 years.

Hoping someone has the balls to start a crowd-funding project: LG OLED screen and HDMI hub. Where can i buy one :popcorn:?

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 08:43:03 pm »
LG OLED screen

Love that one, though it's just a screen. Maybe we should start an open hardware/software project that builds around that screen? :-D

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 08:44:29 pm »
makes you wonder what happened to all the 3D and curved  television set's  people have bought going back to 2012.
 now out of date.   TV remote control design is still a problem.  >:D  maybe we need hardware upgradeable TV's
with plug in bcb's. like PC desktop computers ?   add or replace the parts you want.

You should totally pitch that idea to the wooden pc case 'save the world'-guys! Imagine a wooden tv with replaceable parts to save the world from e-waste. :-DD

Oh, you post it, I don't have a farcebook account, even less time wasted and happier :D

Yeah it is an amazing waste of time and neither do I. It is crazy how much time, energy and money is wasted by people flashing their wonderful lives and many qualities.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf