Author Topic: Why does it always happen to me? (Rant)  (Read 2803 times)

Offline david77Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Why does it always happen to me? (Rant)
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:44:35 pm »
Now I'm in the finishing stages of my latest project, software only needs some finishing touches and hardware wise all I'm missing is four buttons for the keypad and two connectors. I ordered those parts last thursday and expected delivery on monday at the latest, usually the supplier is VERY reliable.
(German company: www.buerklin.de, 95% next day delivery and practically never out of stock)
Come monday the UPS guy has nothing for me, tuesday the same and also nothing on wednesday.
That is highly irregular, so I ring them up.
Turns out they moved offices/warehouses and their complete IT system transfer went pear shaped - nothing moves. They might start commissioning deliveries next tuesday or wednesday! No one knows how long it takes to work off the back log of orders - might be 1-2 weeks.

Aaargh! And no one else stocks the damned buttons I need. Same with the connectors, the only other distributor only sells them in MOQ of 25 pieces. F@!#~ng hell >:(.

I wanted to finish my new baby this weekend. *runs away crying*

Sorry for that, needed to get it off my chest  ;).

Offline VIPR

• Contributor
  • "Lead, follow, or get out the way!" --TP
Re: Why does it always happen to me? (Rant)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:53:44 pm »
If you find that guy named Murphy please shoot him for all of us! His law has ruined many a projects around the world. Welcome to the club.  :)
Now, if only there were a way to break this law without getting caught.

Offline masterburner

• Digi online
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
You're not the only one. This happened to me one too many times... That's why I always pick components that are popular/easy to come by. It really annoys me when I need some kind of IC that no supplier has (*cough*maxim*cough*...), though. Sometimes, I wish there was some kind of law that a supplier must offer a specific set of components.
"I think my 8*8*8 LED cube needs a power-on LED..."

Offline david77Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:52:52 pm »
Yeah, I know. It's not my first time either  ::)

But sometimes you need/want something a bit out of the ordinary, like proper high quality keyboard buttons or a circular 12-way connector just because it's easier to drill a 20mm round hole than to file out a D-Sub shape in 2mm sheet steel.
So you go the more expensive way, ignoring the far eastern alternatives for the good quality local manufacturers and dealers and BAM! they manage to grind their whole operation to a halt, because without modern technology they can't find a single thing in their brand spanking new warehouse.
I'd love to hear the persons responsible explain that to their bosses  :-X.

Well, at least that gives me time to polish up the software but I can't really test it until I get the missing parts, bugger.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:08:25 am »
it happened to thousands of people, and moving places is not an exciting experience too, even of them/us/me.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf