Author Topic: Why I can not upload .7z files here?  (Read 8902 times)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: Why I can not upload .7z files here?
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 01:13:56 pm »
I would be all for zip if it was fully open format, without proprietary stuff attached to it.

Have you guys read the latest specifications to it and the additions they added to it? Just recently they decided to add WavPack data compression to the other formats they had. They also added LZMA some time ago (what's used by 7zip)

We could have for example Apple decide tomorrow to default on using PPmd algorithm to compress zip files, instead of standard DEFLATE algorithm, and then you have zip files that can't be opened on Windows computers, because the unzip code Microsoft licensed from whatever company (or built by them, not sure if it's still third party software) doesn't do PPmd decoding.

I'm attaching a valid zip file compressed with the PPmd algorithm, made the archive using 7zip btw... on my Windows 7 the Windows Explorer unzipper can't extract the image inside but can parse the archive and show the contents.

Yes, in practical terms we're stuck to a very small subset of zip. Are we even sure Windows handles Unicode?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 01:20:12 pm »
Who uses the default handling of zip files in Windows explorer anyway... it just plain sucks.
 ::)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 01:54:46 pm »
Who uses the default handling of zip files in Windows explorer anyway... it just plain sucks.
I think most people do, especially those in a corporate environment who can't install anything better.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 03:10:29 pm »
There, I fixed it. Please reseat your underwear.
LOL. We responded to what you actually wrote at the time. Going back and editing it doesn’t somehow magically put us in the wrong. You’re still being a total cock about this. I don’t even care about the supported formats much, I just want you to stop gaslighting everyone else and stop using hyperbole and stupid arguments instead of sticking to reasonable ones so as to produce a sensible discussion.

Yes, in practical terms we're stuck to a very small subset of zip. Are we even sure Windows handles Unicode?
Yes, and it has for many years: Unicode support was added in Windows 7.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 03:13:04 pm »
In my experience in computer support, the answer is “the overwhelming majority of people”. Most people aren’t computer whizzes, and just want “easy”. And the easiest choice is usually what’s already there. Only when it fails to do what they need do they seek out something better. This is why OS defaults tend to dominate.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 04:15:55 pm »

Everybody I know does. It works fine, at least in Win7. I use 3rd party tools for almost everything else but the zip handling is one thing that just works, at least for me.

The following users thanked this post: soldar

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 05:07:42 pm »
LOL. We responded to what you actually wrote at the time. Going back and editing it doesn’t somehow magically put us in the wrong.

And apparently you read into it something I did not intend. You don't need to be a cock about it yourself.

Yes, and it has for many years: Unicode support was added in Windows 7.

That's nice. They just have everything else from the last 20 years or so to sort out..

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 06:02:22 pm »
Everybody I know does. It works fine, at least in Win7. I use 3rd party tools for almost everything else but the zip handling is one thing that just works, at least for me.

Yup. I have Winrar, 7-UP and other programs installed for when I need them but for quick, easy work I use ZIP most of the time. It is integrated with the OS and is most quick and easy to use. Most people will use ZIP and I will use ZIP because I know they will not complain. If I use anything else I can get complaints or questions. With ZIP zip, nada.

All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Electro Detective

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2019, 01:08:38 am »
Thanks Ampera,

it would be cool if someone could add the .7z to the magic list.
1 second Job and less irritation in this forum for the users.

Done

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2019, 07:49:44 am »
What problems do you have with SVG? I can see more of a reason to use it than 7z, because it does something which none of the existing image formats used on the forum currently do: scalable vector images. Regarding your comment about skipping a thread because someone posted an SVG. You might not even be aware the thread contains an SVG. If someone posted it as an in-line attachment, it would load automatically, unless you configure your browser to block it. No doubt you already visit plenty of sites which contain SVG content and are completely unaware of it.

As far as displaying graphics on a web page I don't care. If they display then fine; if they don't then I move on. I don't care.

I am thinking in terms of posting an attachment of a circuit or other graphic I might want to download and maybe annotate or edit and re-post. PNG, GIF, BMP, JPG I can do in no time with the simple tools I have. SVG requires me to fire up Image Magic which is complicated for me and very clumsy. I would just skip the thread. Or, if my life depended on it, I might just do a screen capture and use one of the simpler formats.

I am not saying there is no reason to use SVG. I am sure there are occasions when it is well justified but I think they are few and far between.

I would rather stick to simpler things. When we have a lot of people posting huge JPGs which could be replaced by a small PNG I would put more emphasis on educating those people than in providing SVG to the few who might benefit from it.

Just my opinion and not very strong.
Try Inkscape. It's much easier to use. I'd rather edit SGV, rather than PNG. Forget BMP, it's far too big and editing JPG can be pain because of the artefacts. And is a screenshot really that difficult? It takes less than a minute to do a screenshot and paste it into your favourite image editing software.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2019, 07:55:08 am »
Try Inkscape ...

Coincidentally  :P ... just went to Inkscape download page -> for Windows ... it says ...

... we recommend the free software 7-Zip to extract ...  >:D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 09:19:06 am »
About two years ago I used Inkscape professionally for over a year and it is not for the faint of heart. Its interface is very difficult IMO.

But the output files are quite nice.

At work 7zip was adopted as "the standard". Although the software works ok and the 7z files are generally smaller than .zip, I still use the latter for wide distribution. You simply can't compare 30+ years of .zip with the infant .7z. And for huge files I used .rar, but I completely understand how its closed source is a problem.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:23:23 am by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2019, 09:28:48 am »
LOL. We responded to what you actually wrote at the time. Going back and editing it doesn’t somehow magically put us in the wrong.

And apparently you read into it something I did not intend. You don't need to be a cock about it yourself.
We all “read into it” exactly what you wrote at the time.

Me calling you out on cuckoo “arguments” doesn’t make me a cock. You could have just said “oops, I miswrote” early on, rather than digging yourself deeper, and that would have been that. Instead you continue to try and flip it around on everyone else, even though we clearly are not responsible for what YOU wrote earlier. We cannot go by what you intended to write, only by what you actually wrote.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf