Author Topic: Why not ban AWG  (Read 65789 times)

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Why not ban AWG
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:26 pm »
Back in the day in Oz,we could buy our beer in "glasses","middies","schooners" & "pots".

No barrels?

No, just 55 gallon drums.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline Kryoclasm

• Regular Contributor
  • KL3DL
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »
Ohh well, given the super huge unfathomable debts of the US and the fact that > 34% is owned by metric nations, I predict a reform sometime in the next decade when that number sneaks above 50% and the US becomes new territory of China, Japan, Brazil etc.  :-DD

I hate to agree with you, but you are right.

Can anyone really understand 17 TRILLION?  :-//

1.7 × 1013

That's the same as...

68,000,000 : Houses @ $250,000 each
364,555Kg of GOLD @ $1,322 per ounce.
283,333 : Gulfstream 5 business Jets @ $60,000,000 each

Wrap that around you brain.... that is how much DEBT we have.   :scared:

Oh, yesterday our wonderful president signed a bill that will get us another "credit card" so we pay our bills"  :palm:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:18:19 pm by Kryoclasm »
“I predict that very shortly the old-fashioned incandescent lamp, having a filament heated to brightness by the passage of electric current through it, will entirely disappear.” -Nikola Tesla

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2013, 06:22:44 pm »
Ohh well, given the super huge unfathomable debts of the US and the fact that > 34% is owned by metric nations, I predict a reform sometime in the next decade when that number sneaks above 50% and the US becomes new territory of China, Japan, Brazil etc.  :-DD

I hate to agree with you, but you are right.

1.7 × 1013

That's the same as...

68,000,000 : Houses @ $250,000 each
364,555Kg of GOLD @ $1,322 per ounce.
283,333 : Gulfstream 5 business Jets @ $60,000,000 each

Wrap that around you brain.... that is how much DEBT we have.   :scared:

Oh, yesterday our wonderful president signed a bill that will get us another "credit card" so we pay our bills"  :palm:

Michael Bloomberg says that the US government can borrow an infinite amount of money - so all the debt fear mongers are wrong.

We shouldn't, however, be able to buy a large soda.  17 trillion in debt?  No problem.  25 oz soda?  Big problem. 

Sorry, I suppose that should be 740 ml soda? big problem.

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2013, 07:59:01 pm »

Michael Bloomberg says that the US government can borrow an infinite amount of money - so all the debt fear mongers are wrong.

We shouldn't, however, be able to buy a large soda.  17 trillion in debt?  No problem.  25 oz soda?  Big problem. 

Sorry, I suppose that should be 740 ml soda? big problem.

Nope, you're wrong. It'll be 34 trillion in 8 years. It's increasing exponentially. The only unit of measure that's going to count in the near future is the troy oz...wherever the hell that imperial unit came from.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2013, 08:34:45 pm »
1.7 × 1013   
There are aprox. 315 million people living in the US? Then each person has a debt of $55000.-
I heard how much interest the US pays per day and that was almost 10 times more (each day) then our government is fighting over the coming year to save on their expenses. Weird world.

Offline casper.bang

• Frequent Contributor
  • Pro SE, amateur EE.
    • BangBits
« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2013, 09:21:57 pm »

Classical viewpoint from a remaining super power. While the US$ is a reference point, and the US has thus held a unique position being able to print and borrow money like no other, it does not come entirely without consequences. For one thing, debt holders want larger interest payments to compensate for what they perceive as an increasing risk that they won't be repaid (no shit Sherlock!). Secondly, this is amplified by the decline of the US$, meaning it's loosing its leading position as a reference. The world has a lot at stake in the continued stability of the American economy, but as US manufactures move more and more business to Mexico, Brazil and other emerging markets, it's not hard to imagine China getting upset and further raising interests or demanding payments. The supposedly richest country and greatest democracy in the world can't even get their own economy and house in order. It's thought-provoking how it has come to this and that (at least some in) the US find this a viable and responsible strategy for such a long time.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:32 am »
based on the chart, what happen in 2001? it looked to be stabilizing around 1995-2000

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2013, 01:56:42 am »
We're wandering a long way from AWG here  :)

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2013, 02:14:55 am »
Don't see how, AWG American Wasteful Governance seems right on topic

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2013, 02:23:31 am »

:clap:   

Ingenious work  :-+ , now GeoffS doesn't have any excuse to lock or censor this thread anymore. LOL ... :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2013, 02:43:10 am »

:clap:   

Ingenious work  :-+ , now GeoffS doesn't have any excuse to lock or censor this thread anymore. LOL ... :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

I'm a moderator, I don't NEED a reason  >:D

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2013, 03:07:30 am »
Damn, I forgot about that, ok, you win !  :scared:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2013, 04:12:51 am »
Back in the day in Oz,we could buy our beer in "glasses","middies","schooners" & "pots".

No barrels?

No, just 55 gallon drums.

That'd be 44 gallon drums in real gallons! ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:22:29 am by vk6zgo »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2013, 07:09:25 pm »
GeoffS, I see the post count for you is now 777 posts, very nice there.

actually at work I have a wire size gauge that has all wire sizes from about 20 SWG to 0SWG.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:56 am »
Ay! Let's go down pub and get some 473 milliliters!

Hmm, even in Yorkshire they speak English. It's "Let's go down to the pub". Now in the local manner of speech you might have to listen hard to catch the abbreviated sound of the word "the" in that sentence, but it's still there. Typically you might write it as "Let's go down to t'pub." Phonetically, the sound of t' is like a glottal stop.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2013, 10:13:41 am »
I found the answer to wire gauges, get a slide rule thingy, like this one. I have actually had it for years but just found it again at the back of a draw.

Offline Anks

• Frequent Contributor
    • www.krisanks.wordpress.com
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2013, 08:13:56 pm »
They have the gear stick the next to the driving wheel and there massive v8's somehow produce less BHP that a Nissan micra.

Too long in the tooth the imperial system will be around for along time yet.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2013, 11:44:49 pm »
I don't mind measurements in decimals i can tell between a 3mm and a 3.3mm drill bit or a 0.5" drill bit but I can't do fractions its mind screwing. I can't do miles or lbs. I can do Km but not Kg I hardly ever get weight right by feel. It's really down to what you are used to.

And AWG is fine I like it as a standard for wires. It's simple and effective. As long as there is a conversion chart I see no problem with standards. It's almost like language without all the customs.

Offline BlochTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2013, 05:53:53 am »
And AWG is fine I like it as a standard for wires. It's simple and effective. As long as there is a conversion chart I see no problem with standards. It's almost like language without all the customs.

Ok so do you want all the non English speaking eevblog members to write in our own language ?

Yes now i see it .... much easier and better  ::)

Offline casper.bang

• Frequent Contributor
  • Pro SE, amateur EE.
    • BangBits
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2013, 06:29:58 am »
I don't mind measurements in decimals i can tell between a 3mm and a 3.3mm drill bit or a 0.5" drill bit but I can't do fractions its mind screwing. I can't do miles or lbs. I can do Km but not Kg I hardly ever get weight right by feel. It's really down to what you are used to.

Som Bloch pointerer neget fint, så har du nok problemer med at forstå denne tekst fordi den er udtrykt i et andet sprog end den internationale standard. Konverteringer er fyldt med fejl, jeg gætter på at Google og Bing oversættere vil have deres hyr med denne danske tekst.

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2013, 06:42:19 am »
My point is units and measurements is a lot easier to convert than languages. I'm not saying that multi standards is good but it is not so bad that it must be ban. Of course it will be good that everyone communicates in the same way but the perfect world isnt going to happen. Btw I grew up in the metric world but I try to embrace imperial system as much as I could which is not easy.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2013, 06:49:47 am »
Som Bloch pointerer neget fint, så har du nok problemer med at forstå denne tekst fordi den er udtrykt i et andet sprog end den internationale standard. Konverteringer er fyldt med fejl, jeg gætter på at Google og Bing oversættere vil have deres hyr med denne danske tekst.

Google translate suggests "neget" should be "noget".

It also thinks "hyr" is wrong, but it doesn't have a better suggestion...

Offline W8LV

• Regular Contributor
  • W8LV (and sometimes W8LV/VE3) USA/Canada
« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2013, 07:57:44 am »
I have always found it a puzzlement that we haven't switched to metric in the U.S, also recalling being taught the Metric System in the '70's and being told we were going to switch. I HATE goofy, goofy things like 5/8ths wrenches. But we buy pop in two litre bottles. "Not quite" Twelve gallons of gas for my (metric) Toyota Prius. Why not just call it 25 litres and be done with it? There IS a switch on my dash that converts the speedometer to kilometres.. Helpful when driving in Canada...but alas, the odometer can't be switched from miles. Ugggh. Pounds and Fahrenheit? Goofy concepts, for sure! But Nautical Miles "seem" to make sense, when you figure it into the degrees of a circle in regards to degrees of Latitude. But then again, we have Daylight Savings time, and I am sure in spite of it, Greenwich NEVER gets closer to, or further away from us just because it's Winter. Or Summer.
Maybe we should go with Coordinated Swatch Time!
;-)

Best Regards from W8LV in Pickaway County, Ohio, USA.

Best Regards from W8LV in Pickaway County, Ohio, USA

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: October 20, 2013, 08:16:16 am »

Google translate suggests "neget" should be "noget".

It also thinks "hyr" is wrong, but it doesn't have a better suggestion...
"neget" should have been "meget".
"hyr" means difficulty, have a job with.

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2013, 07:11:53 pm »
based on the chart, what happen in 2001? it looked to be stabilizing around 1995-2000

G.W. Bush went into office.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf