Author Topic: Why SpaceX Are Going to Beat NASA to Mars  (Read 55178 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Why SpaceX Are Going to Beat NASA to Mars
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2018, 12:29:09 am »
If we do find a habitable planet then sure, no reason not to send some people there, it would be interesting if nothing else. I don't consider Mars to be habitable though, it's the closest other than Earth in our own solar system but that's not saying much. The biggest problem with other possible candidates is that it will take multiple human lifespans to reach one even if it is found. Much of science fiction relies on the possibility of faster than light transport, but I just don't see that happening. It's roughly in the same realm as over-unity stuff.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2018, 12:34:23 am »
Mars to be habitable though, it's the closest other than Earth in our own solar system but that's not saying much.
It is possible to make it habitable... by nuking the poles.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2018, 03:30:58 am »
Mars to be habitable though, it's the closest other than Earth in our own solar system but that's not saying much.

How would nuking the poles help make Mars habitable?

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2018, 05:38:01 am »
Mmm, well in his own mind Musk has already beaten NASA to Mars.  All that remains is the practical detail of actually going there. :)

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2018, 07:16:01 am »
I'm certain you want to return to the state of science of those years. Just avoid inquisition frying your ass on a bonfire.

Ah yes, that old chestnut.
So Giordano Bruno wasn't burned at the stake after all?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2018, 09:18:02 am »

It would release frozen CO2 trapped in the ice caps. That would start greenhouse effect. Due to temperature increasing the rest of frozen CO2 would vaporize as well increasing the greenhouse effect. Then you could use plants to release oxygen from CO2. It's not like it can be terraformed in one human generation but in theory it's possible.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:19 am »
The atmosphere of Mars is 96% CO2 already.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2018, 09:48:11 am »
The atmosphere of Mars is 96% CO2 already.
But density is only 0.6% of the earth atmosphere.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2018, 10:29:29 am »
Because its mass is 1/10 that of the earth?
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2018, 11:26:46 am »
Because its mass is 1/10 that of the earth?
Nope, because it lost it's atmosphere at some point of time.
EDIT: BTW while Venus has slightly lower mass and gravity compared to Earth, atmospheric pressure is 90 times higher than on Earth.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:59:53 am by wraper »

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • I like vacuum tubes. Electrons exist, holes don't.
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2018, 01:01:04 pm »

It would release frozen CO2 trapped in the ice caps. That would start greenhouse effect. Due to temperature increasing the rest of frozen CO2 would vaporize as well increasing the greenhouse effect. Then you could use plants to release oxygen from CO2. It's not like it can be terraformed in one human generation but in theory it's possible.

See how simple everything is? Why they don't hand over the Nuclear Football to someone clearly grounded in reality as you is a mystery.

We could have a whole other planet if only people listened to you!  :-DD

PS: Maybe add some glitter to the bombs, it would make Martian sunsets so awesome!!

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2018, 01:01:40 pm »
I'm certain you want to return to the state of science of those years. Just avoid inquisition frying your ass on a bonfire.

So you don't understand your logical fallacy after all?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2018, 01:06:41 pm »

Says walking logical fallacy itself.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:20 pm »

Says walking logical fallacy itself.

There is no logical fallacy on my part, the burden of proof is entirely on the people making the extraordinary claims. You are nothing but cloud-shoveling daydreamers with an odd techno-religion.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2018, 01:23:37 pm »
There is no logical fallacy on my part, the burden of proof is entirely on the people making the extraordinary claims. You are nothing but cloud-shoveling daydreamers with an odd techno-religion.
Wait a minute. Logical fallacy and burden of proof are two completely different things. You are just changing the topic. And burden of proof for what particularly? Most of extraordinary claims are coming from you.

Logical fallacy changing subject
A related concept is that of the red herring, which is a deliberate attempt to divert a process of enquiry by changing the subject. Ignoratio elenchi is sometimes confused with straw man argument.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:25:58 pm by wraper »

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2018, 01:39:25 pm »
Wait a minute. Logical fallacy and burden of proof are two completely different things. You are just changing the topic. And burden of proof for what particularly? Most of extraordinary claims are coming from you.

Logical fallacy changing subject
A related concept is that of the red herring, which is a deliberate attempt to divert a process of enquiry by changing the subject. Ignoratio elenchi is sometimes confused with straw man argument.

The typical logical fallacy from your camp is usually in the form of: "they laughed at (insert famous historical figure here) too!". Unfortunately, they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. Being laughed at is no guarantee that you're actually right.

Burden of proof is on your side. You're the ones with the borderline maniacal claims of blowing up Mars's poles to get an atmosphere, or your "Preserve The Species" sermons, or "Asteroid of DOOM!!".

Do you not see where maybe a little tiny little bit of ... um... skepticism is warranted?

How did you even arrive at your hysterical world view anyways?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »

Oh yeah -- let's mess up a planet before we even live there!
Progress!! 

:-\

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2018, 01:59:06 pm »
The typical logical fallacy from your camp is usually in the form of: "they laughed at (insert famous historical figure here) too!". Unfortunately, they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. Being laughed at is no guarantee that you're actually right.
Please insert a quote to prove your claim (burden of proof).
From my side I said:
And I’m not sure how you can see innovation and inspiration in a video showing failures as silly as “ran out of fuel”. That, to me, just plain shows poor design or planning.
So poor that nobody else besides them got landing working. All other space companies and most people overall were laughing about their "silly attempts" those days. Now nobody in those companies is laughing because SpaceX ate a lot of their market share. How to see inspiration? This video was created by SpaceX themselves and posted on their own channel. Those all were landing attempts before they got technology working. Once they got landing working, now it seems more like a routine operation.
Which certainly is not what you suggested. That was rebuffing what was said about particular company, by stating their achievements. Not a joke about some historical figure.
Burden of proof is on your side. You're the ones with the borderline maniacal claims of blowing up Mars's poles to get an atmosphere, or your "Preserve The Species" sermons, or "Asteroid of DOOM!!".
Maybe you have a problem understanding a context and satire like preschool kids do. That was first said more like a joke. Then I explained it is possible in theory. Nobody said it is viable or should be actually done.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »

Oh yeah -- let's mess up a planet before we even live there!
Progress!! 

:-\
You apparently fave the same problem as In Vacuo Veritas. Read my previous post.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2018, 02:16:35 pm »

What fallacy? I haven't offered any opinion about the feasibility of space travel here.

Offline In Vacuo Veritas

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2018, 02:26:52 pm »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2018, 02:32:03 pm »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2018, 02:37:37 pm »
This sure is very sound and strong argument.
stupid sci-fi picture
From someone just a while ago wrote V  :palm:

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2018, 02:38:22 pm »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2018, 02:47:50 pm »
EDIT: BTW while Venus has slightly lower mass and gravity compared to Earth, atmospheric pressure is 90 times higher than on Earth.

I didn't know that. It's pretty cool. Well, no, cool, no:

"The mass of its atmosphere is 93 times that of Earth's, whereas the pressure at its surface is about 92 times that at Earth's [..] The density at the surface is 65 kg/m3, 6.5% that of water or 50 times as dense as Earth's atmosphere [..] surface temperatures of at least 735 K (462 °C; 864 °F)"

WTF!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:11:17 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf