Author Topic: WiFi 'Booster'... False advertising ???  (Read 2343 times)

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
WiFi 'Booster'... False advertising ???
« on: December 12, 2019, 01:36:45 pm »
Firstly, I do NOT endorse this 'product'. Am just reporting what it says!!...
I found this link, while examining various 'Boosters'. (I think it's a load of Bull-Shit!).
https://wifiblastshop.com/tech/wifi-au.php?affId=DA2379F6&c1=au&c2=kwintent&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvvLzuWs5gIVCqRoCh18yQs5EAEYASAAEgLfVfD_BwE
From a company called 'WiFiBlast'.  And here is a photo...

Now I KNOW that such devices can/do increase your WiFi Range, and improve Signal-Strength, and
as such can also slightly improve the transmission rate when you have full bars, but the next is CRAP!

They 'claim' that it also 'blocks' your ISP from THROTTLING your data, and more than double your speed!!  :palm:
Well depending on the PLAN you are on with ISP's here, you are either limited to 12, 25, 50, 100 mbps.
That's obviously done at the FTTN street box, or at the ISP's servers. Yet they claim that this 'limit' is
bypassed by their device, which is total crap, and a blatant lie !!  I will be reporting them!  :scared:
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: WiFi 'Booster'... False advertising ???
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 11:26:19 pm »
Wi-Fi repeaters (of any brand or price) are entirely garbage and usually makes speed/reliability problems worse (unless you happen to be one of those near-perfect fringe cases). It's like having a room full of people talking and you begin shouting, you're just adding to the noise, then no one can communicate effectively.

Enterprise access points and some consumer "mesh" products work differently, they essentially deploy multiple access points to provide coverage on non-overlapping channels with either a wireless or wired back haul to the rest of the network. This is what you want, not some cheap crappy repeater product.

I will also point out at this point, that it's a common misconception that "mesh" devices do something special that a good quality standalone access point won't do. All mesh products do is provide a wireless link to connect access points together. If you hard wire your APs using Ethernet cable, the mesh capabilities become redundant (not to mention you'll get better performance over a wireless back haul). Even Ubiquiti's enterprise access points are essentially "mesh" access points (if you want them to be), just without all the added marketing bullshit that consumer brands like Netgear, Linksys etc... like to add on to justify their over-priced products.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg, h4x0r, eti

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:39:33 am »
I question this:

Without WIFIBLAST:
Time 3:07

0.23 Mbps
Data Used 0.0MB

3G arrow symbols unlit
9% ? Battery/Wifi?

With WIFIBLAST:
Time 3:07

3G arrow symbols lit
9% ? Battery/Wifi?

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 04:28:30 pm »
 So this WifiBlast thing magically gives you 3G cellular service where you didn't have it before? Riiiiiight....

9% is the battery, nothing dodgy there.

The difference looks to be that between connecting to the cell service with 3G vs not having a 3G connection, or else the one without 3G has cell data turned off an it's using either old spec wifi, or wifi connected to the internet via a really bad DSL connection.

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:47:57 pm »
Looks photo-shoppy to me... The test results are 2 minutes apart - yet the time at the top says 3:07 for each!

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg, MrMobodies

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 01:41:02 am »
I could understand crappy public wifi, but normally on ADSL, the download is way higher than upload, not the other way around. Either the wifi is really screwed up or something else fishy other than turning on and off 3G is going on indeed.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 01:09:26 pm »
While not the same, it's possible for a router to block ads (see PiHole) and give more usable bandwidth.

It's also possible to bypass/work around some kinds of throttling by running a lot of parallel connections, for example by emulating multiple devices on some public hotspots. But to say it would work on all types of throttling would be misleading.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:45:35 pm »
Their reviews are false as well.

This page isn't available - The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.
https://www.facebook.com/roxi.overo - Nov 28, 2019 10:13 AM
https://www.facebook.com/gladys.sanford.923 - Dec 1, 2019 6:44 PM
https://www.facebook.com/paul.bryant.9828 - Dec 3, 2019 7:55 PM
https://www.facebook.com/michelle.morandini Dec 5, 2019 9:48 AM

Ashley Anita
https://www.facebook.com/ashley.anita3

Wifiblast page:
Ashley Anita - California

Facebook profile:
Work - Houston, Texas
Home -  New York, New York

See attached pictures of the review times keeping up with the times on my clock as I adjust it.

Offline GlennSpriggTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 12:31:37 pm »
Yea... The bastards need to be shot!  (I've been reporting them, a lot).  :box:

It's funny, that obviously I clicked once on their "Ads" just to check their bullshit.
I normally use another browser that blocks the majority of such 'Ads', but in the last few days I've
been using 'Chrome', without the blocking, just to test certain aspects of it. Since I had clicked on
these bastards 'Ad', now, SO MANY different tech web-pages (who utilize 3rd Party Ad inclusions),
ALL present me with their same bullshit 'Ad', thinking I am now interested!!  8)

They are obviously quite proliferous regarding their advertising. (Yes, I know how to stop them).
Interesting note:  When you see certain Ads on a web-page, you will usually see a clickable spot
on the boundary to 'Report' it.  I do that often now, as well as attacking the 'company' themselves.  >:D
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 04:58:44 am »
Wi-Fi and bluetooth are both a gigantic mess, and I don't know OR care why - all I know is this - if I can see a wire plugged in for something, I can SEE the wire and I know it's connected, no need for extra BS.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:08:36 am »
I will also point out at this point, that it's a common misconception that "mesh" devices do something special that a good quality standalone access point won't do. All mesh products do is provide a wireless link to connect access points together. If you hard wire your APs using Ethernet cable, the mesh capabilities become redundant (not to mention you'll get better performance over a wireless back haul). Even Ubiquiti's enterprise access points are essentially "mesh" access points (if you want them to be), just without all the added marketing bullshit that consumer brands like Netgear, Linksys etc... like to add on to justify their over-priced products.
Specialized mesh products do have some special features not found in common access points.

First, they use a dedicated radio for the backhaul. That really makes a difference in performance because repeating packets, often with different coding schemes, on the same channel really kills performance. Especially if there is some broadcast/multicast traffic.

Second, some may have some software better tailored for these scenarios. But of course mesh APs can be more expensive.

Ubiquiti non-mesh APs (UniFi) are regular APs that you can configure as repeaters but with a performance penalty. They sell specialized mesh devices with the additional radio (AmpliFi).

That said, those solutions are a last resort option. If you want a decent performance wire each access point to the network and, of course, set up the frequenc¡es properly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf