Author Topic: Wifi Router Antenna Extension Cable  (Read 3056 times)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: Wifi Router Antenna Extension Cable
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 01:55:00 pm »
I have a similar request really: all my desktop computers ae rack mounted, so, inside a metal box known as a server rack, and I need Bluetooth. If the cable run is short, for example in my case which the signal just need to be brought out of the metal box, you can use coax if your wireless hardware allows it. Usually it means a stretch of SMA cable. There are also cables that has a magnetic antenna stand on one end.

If the cable is a bit too long, you can use a Raspberry Pi 3 or above as the wireless to Ethernet adapter. Raspberry Pi 3 needs some form of 5V local power which can be derived from a solar panel and local batteries. Pi 3+ and above allows PoE which allows power be sent over to the Pi using the Ethernet cable. Alternatively there are also a lot of Mediatek MT7688 based modules out there. That is a wireless router chipset ad Mediatek released all of its documentations and drivers, allowing fantastic LEDE support.

On the topic regarding hard cabling t your neighbor's, fibre optics can be treated differently than Ethernet cables in building codes as those are often constructed entirely out of non-metallic materials, thus non-conductive. (Example: in the building code in Shanghai, Ethernet cables are not allowed to share conduit with mains wiring, but fibre optics can.) If your neighbor and the local regulation allows it, you can run a pair multimode fiber between the premises.

Offline MyHeadHz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 02:29:44 pm »
Those stories reminded of another more long-range device that's rather inexpensive and could work well in this application- LoRaWAN.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8t62anxIQ
Instead of a physical cable it uses small dishes, but it's basically the same thing.  You can also remove it to use it elsewhere if you like.

A brief digression if I may. I have noticed you use code tags when you don't want the youtube video to show. Often I also want to provide just the link to the video but not have it show and play in the post. The workaround that I found is to add a time to the video link and that way it won't parse. Adding ?t=0 (or any other time in seconds) will show the clickable link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8t62anxIQ?t=0

On other forums that still redirects or passes other information (tracking/marketing stuff) on any page it is on, even if it isn't clicked.  I checked out your method and it actually doesn't unless clicked.  If someone prefers the convenience, they can click it, but they can still copy and paste to avoid giving google extra free marketing/tracking data.  Your method seems like a good compromise so I will probably do that from now on.  Thanks

edit: it would be better if they fixed the bug that makes it display improperly in the first place so I wouldn't need a work-around!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:12:41 pm by MyHeadHz »

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 03:49:56 pm »
On other forums that still redirects or passes other information (tracking/marketing stuff) on any page it is on, even if it isn't clicked.  I checked out your method and it actually doesn't unless clicked.  If someone prefers the convenience, they can click it, but they can still copy and paste to avoid giving google extra free marketing/tracking data.  It seems like a good compromise so I will probably do that from now on.  Thanks

edit: it would be better if they fixed the bug that makes it display improperly in the first place so I would't need a work-around!

Good thinking. I had not thought of that aspect. On the one hand it might allow tracking the user/clicker. On the other hand it may be a good thing for the forum if it gives it exposure.

But, yes, most of the time I prefer to post just the link and let the reader decide if they want to go to YouTube to see it.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »
On other forums that still redirects or passes other information (tracking/marketing stuff) on any page it is on, even if it isn't clicked.  I checked out your method and it actually doesn't unless clicked.  If someone prefers the convenience, they can click it, but they can still copy and paste to avoid giving google extra free marketing/tracking data.  It seems like a good compromise so I will probably do that from now on.  Thanks

edit: it would be better if they fixed the bug that makes it display improperly in the first place so I would't need a work-around!

Good thinking. I had not thought of that aspect. On the one hand it might allow tracking the user/clicker. On the other hand it may be a good thing for the forum if it gives it exposure.

But, yes, most of the time I prefer to post just the link and let the reader decide if they want to go to YouTube to see it.
About those trackers, since I am at the grace at whoever posted the contents... Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender + EFF Privacy Badger.

This also reduces the amount of data to be transferred as my access to the international part of Internet isn't that good. Blocking most ads makes things load much faster.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 08:44:10 pm »
I have a similar request really: all my desktop computers ae rack mounted, so, inside a metal box known as a server rack, and I need Bluetooth. If the cable run is short, for example in my case which the signal just need to be brought out of the metal box, you can use coax if your wireless hardware allows it. Usually it means a stretch of SMA cable. There are also cables that has a magnetic antenna stand on one end.

USB extension cable to a bluetooth adapter?
Not sure I can visualize this one as most desktop PCs don't have BT.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2019, 01:49:42 am »
USB extension cable to a bluetooth adapter?
Not sure I can visualize this one as most desktop PCs don't have BT.
My machines uses internal Wi-Fi and Bluetooth mPCIe combo modules, so USB cables are not a solution. I need Bluetooth for my mouse and keyboard, and for my main workstation that is a Hackintosh various Apple specialty features that allows integration with my iPhone and iPad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf