Author Topic: Wikileaks: CIA has tools to snoop via TVs  (Read 8427 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Wikileaks: CIA has tools to snoop via TVs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:24:14 pm »
Hasn't this technology been around since 1984?

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:36:51 pm »
So, what else is new? The Samsung remote access was discovered several months ago, and that CIA and others use it as well is obvious.

It easy to prevent, though. Just stop connecting every d*mn thing you have to the Internet!

A TV works fine without a web connection. And the antenna/cable signal is one-way.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, R005T3r

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:25:15 am »
-WikiLeaks

among former U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner,
one of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.
"Year Zero" introduces the scope and direction of the CIA's global covert hacking
program, its malware arsenal and dozens of "zero day" weaponized exploits against
a wide range of U.S. and European company products, include Apple's iPhone,
Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows and even Samsung TVs, which are
turned into covert microphones.

-WikiLeaks
CIA malware targets iPhone, Android, smart TVs
CIA malware and hacking tools are bui lt by EDG (Engineering Development Group),
a software development group within CCI (Center for Cyber Intelligence), a
department belonging to the CIA's DDI (Directorate for Digital Innovation). The DDI is
one of the five major directorates of the CIA (see this organizational chart of the CIA
for more details).
The EDG is responsible for the development, testing and operational support of all
backdoors, exploits, malicious payloads, trojans, viruses and any other kind of
malware used by the CIA in its covert operations world-wide.
The increasing sophistication of surveillance techniques has drawn comparisons with
George Orwell's 1984, but "Weeping Angel", developed by the CIA's Embedded
Devices Branch (EDB), which infests smart TVs, transforming them into covert
microphones, is surely its most emblematic realization.

-WikiLeaks
CIA malware targets Windows, OSx, Linux,
routers
The CIA also runs a very substantial effort to infect and control Microsoft Windows
users with its malware. This includes multiple local and remote weaponized "zero
days", air gap jumping viruses such as "Hammer Drill" which infects software
distributed on CD/DVDs, infectors for removable media such as USBs, systems
to hide data in images or in covert disk areas ( "Brutal Kangaroo") and to keep its
malware infestations going.
Many of these infection efforts are pulled together by the CIA's Automated Implant
Branch (AIB), which has developed several attack systems for automated infestation
and control of CIA malware, such as "Assassin" and "Medusa".
Attacks against Internet infrastructure and webservers are developed by the
CIA's Network Devices Branch (NDB).
The CIA has developed automated multi-platform malware attack and control
systems covering Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux and more, such as EDB's
"HIVE" and the related "Cutthroat" and "Swindle" tools, which are described in the
examples section below.
CIA 'hoarded' vulnerabilities ("zero days")
In the wake of Edward Snowden's leaks about the NSA, the U.S. technology industry
secured a commitment from the Obama administration that the executive would
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:24:33 am »
You mean the CIA would spy on people? Hardly any surprise. The CIA does not get any lower than this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_El-Masri.

The US government has lost respect throughout the world and I don't think it will ever get it back in our lifetime.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »
You mean the CIA would spy on people? Hardly any surprise. The CIA does not get any lower than this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_El-Masri.

The US government has lost respect throughout the world and I don't think it will ever get it back in our lifetime.
[/quote
If I had only one thing (there are many) I could respect Americans for it might have been their willingness to rally behind the office of the president.

I've never seen such division and lack of support for someone who purports to be president, I'm not sure the US government has any respect from an awful lot of it's own citizens now, never mind the rest of the world and it's only going to get worse as the holes the current incumbent is digging get deeper and he's busy going head to head with his own intelligence community.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »
You forget to say "IMHO".
Dont make it look as if everybody thinks the same.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:59 pm »
I don't know why this news comes as a surprise to anyone who understands technology. It's fairly common knowledge that federal and state security agencies and law enforcement organisations around the world have been exploiting consumer devices fitted with cameras and/or microphones for quite a long time. Why should today's "smart' TVs be any different?

Their methodology is kept very secret and under wraps even among individual departments within an organisation.

There is so much light on organisations such as the CIA, ASIO etc... because they are so secretive and mysterious to the general public, people are quick to forget the bigger state Police organisations in the Western world also have similar funding and capabilities.

Offline Codebird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:06:43 pm »
It's no great surprise. The CIA is a spy agency. This sort of thing is their job, and they are very good at it. I'd expect nothing less from them than a whole library of state-of-the-art bugs, hardware and software.

So long as they stay within the law and focus their efforts on the right people, that's no problem. The outrage over the NSA wasn't that they spied on people, it's that they spied on everyone nondiscriminately, without any regard for warrants or external oversight, including the citizens of their own country en mass.

The only thing the CIA leaks reveal that might be grounds for any concern at all is that the CIA, having discovered exploits, deliberately did not inform the responsible vendors in order to prevent patching. Bad security practice, certainly, but even then I expect any other intelligence agency in the world would have done the same.

Perhaps there is some really big scandal in there still, it just hasn't been found yet.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:15:40 pm »
It's no great surprise. The CIA is a spy agency. This sort of thing is their job, and they are very good at it. I'd expect nothing less from them than a whole library of state-of-the-art bugs, hardware and software.

So long as they stay within the law and focus their efforts on the right people, that's no problem.

Yep, you're spot on. I sleep pretty well at night knowing that organisations such as the CIA are doing what they do. Their good work by far outweighs any negatives by many orders of magnitude.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:41:41 pm »
Dave has already brought a product to market to protect you from government spy agencies and the like...

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, BrianHG, james_s

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 12:44:28 am »

So long as they stay within the law and focus their efforts on the right people, that's no problem.

Try telling that to Khalid El Masri. With all their "whole library of state-of-the-art bugs, hardware and software" they could even get the bloke's name right :-DD.

Let's not forget the CIA spying on Angela Merkel. What kind of friends and allies spy on you and tap your phones?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 02:52:19 am »
What kind of friends and allies spy on you and tap your phones?

Pretty much anybody who has the capabilities...

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 02:59:12 am »
It would appear that all those voice-command gadgets are just begging for spying.  In order for them to work, they must be listening all the time, and sending the audio back to the "mother ship" over the public internet for voice recognition.  It likely wouldn't even take a high-school graduate to figure out how to tap into that. 

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 03:11:08 am »

Which includes several of the larger economies in the EU, a certain country that is also a continent, many folks in Asia, certainly including the most populous and those nuclear capable and last but certainly not least the empire that was larger before the 1980s. 

The US may have bumbled more than others and is certainly a bigger target than most, but it has lots of company in this business.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 09:23:10 am »
It would appear that all those voice-command gadgets are just begging for spying.  In order for them to work, they must be listening all the time, and sending the audio back to the "mother ship" over the public internet for voice recognition.  It likely wouldn't even take a high-school graduate to figure out how to tap into that.
I somehow doubt that they are streaming all the time audio to "mother ship". It wouldn't economically makes sense for the 'service provider' that would have to process a huge amount of data most of the time for nothing.
Rather, I think those gadgets would process audio locally until they detect some 'magic word' indicating that a human is talking to them and only then they would open a channel to the service provider 'cloud' in order to analyse the complex sentence speech.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 09:51:40 am »
Welcome to the Internet of Things.

We let the government spy on you while skids use your bandwidth to run over a few multinational corporations with a botnet every so often.

But hey, at least you can check if you still have any milk in your fridge while you're at the shops, or at least until the app crashes.

The government can spy on you through any media they want. Think of it from this perspective. If you fill a building full of security nuts, loads of computing power, and tons of budget money, what do you think will come out?
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Codebird

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 04:38:53 pm »
Which includes several of the larger economies in the EU, a certain country that is also a continent, many folks in Asia, certainly including the most populous and those nuclear capable and last but certainly not least the empire that was larger before the 1980s. 

Don't forget the land of the long-running territorial-dispute-with-religious-implications. They also have an intelligence service of great renown. If they were just a little bit better, no-one would know they had one at all.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 04:45:06 am »
Not really surprising, it's why I don't trust any of this cloud stuff. 

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:03:00 pm »

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »
Quote from: VK3DRB on March 11, 2017, 11:44:28 AM

the problem is when your philosophy ,political and or religious views do Not agree with the ideology of government , the Vatican, hollywood , the news media or multinational corporations.
spying can be abused.  as with the people that voted for President Trump. also as with the people that voted for the UK Brexit.
having strong patriotic feelings. that are against the globalist agendas. 
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 01:39:07 pm »
TV
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

The following users thanked this post: Red Squirrel

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
To keep a bit of EE theme, has anyone played with these TVs with test gear such as spectrum analyzer, ex: reverse engineer them to find out how they communicate, or how excessive they spy etc? Could make for some interesting research.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 04:17:17 pm »
They communicate via WiFi/internet.
A packet-sniffer would be more useful than a spectrum analyzer. We know the spectrum (2.4GH WiFi)
If there aren't already videos up on YouTube about how it is done, the research is probably already underway and will be reported in detail at the next hacker convention.

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 04:21:17 pm »
Hasn't this technology been around since 1984?

Welcome to 1984. I'm more worried about corporations using and selling my info. The Bush administration was around as all this new technology came out and it was "deregulated" when we need strict laws as far as privacy.

Everything I own with a camera has a piece of tape over it. The microphone scares me though. This is what the FBI does.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf