Author Topic: Will painting respirators protect one from the COVID-19 virus?  (Read 6667 times)

Offline engineheatTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Like this:

I would seem since it can offer an airtight seal, and it has a particle filter, it should be at least as effective than those surgical or even N95 masks right?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Will painting respirators protect one from the COVID-19 virus?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 02:20:07 am »
If you have a beard like me NO. If you fit it with the incorrect cartridges NO. If you get an Aerosoled droplet land on you or your clothing also most likely NO unless you wash and disinfect properly.

That said fit it with an N95 grade cartridge (if you can find them for sale :palm: ) and keep the mask body sanitized then it will 'help'.
 Page 12 https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/565214O/3m-cartridge-filter-guide-and-brochure.pdf

The reason surgical ones are disposable is no risk from poor sterilization or cross contamination.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:00:25 am »
If you can assume you aren't infected (e.g. you live isolated anyways), a valve is fine.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 07:08:33 am »
If you can assume you aren't infected (e.g. you live isolated anyways), a valve is fine.

If you live isolated anyways, no mask at all is fine.  ???
I agree with blueskull, valved masks mark the wearer as an asshole egotist.

Offline Illusionist

• Regular Contributor
  • Why is the rum gone?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 08:05:12 am »

...or as someone using the only masks they have (because they bought a box full ages ago for DIY) because there are no masks whatsoever available for sale anywhere.
Agilent 34410A, GW Instek 8251A, Thurlby 1905A, Siglent DS1104X-E(unlocked), SDG1032X(unlocked), Micsig DP10013 MX, LeCroy PP008 500MHz Probes, Fluke 179

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut, petert

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 08:15:18 am »

...or as someone using the only masks they have (because they bought a box full ages ago for DIY) because there are no masks whatsoever available for sale anywhere.

If we take the OP's comment of a Particle filter being fitted then you may as well make one from Toilet Paper (also assuming you can buy some). There are still plenty of Particulate masks available in cartridge and disposable in my part of the world but they are of little to no use.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 09:01:56 am »

Don't waste your money, nothing can stop it from entering your skin, ears, private parts..  :o :-[

you'll breathe easier and better buying stocks in toilet paper manufacturing companies

Idiots will be hoarding for at least another 6 months, perhaps 6 years if the panic show situation mutates into a global Palmdemic  :palm:  :palm:

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 09:27:53 am »
Don't waste your money, nothing can stop it from entering your skin, ears, private parts..  :o :-[

You might want to read up on transmission pathways.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 10:03:42 am »

You might want to read up on transmission pathways.

Don't need to, if it's the real deal, no over the counter respirator will keep out the dreaded camry corona virus   :D

The following users thanked this post: hendorog

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 03:07:58 pm »

You still need to go out for important errands once or twice a week. Yes, the infection risk in that case isn't that high with proper practices. But if you're e.g. in the 10%+ lethality risk group, better be safe than sorry.

The following users thanked this post: petert

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 04:16:51 pm »
You don't have to worry about individual, dry virons floating around. The biggest risk are aerosols from infected people sneezing, coughing and speaking. Those are filtered out just fine by regular FFP2 and FFP3 masks. Also, reducing the "viral load" by any amount directly reduces your infection risk.

I get why it's propagated that any form of PPE is totally ineffective against viruses, as this prevents the general population from buying out the market, but still, take :bullshit: for what it really is.

The following users thanked this post: TerminalJack505, thm_w, SiliconWizard, KaneTW, petert

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 04:29:00 pm »
You don't have to worry about individual, dry virons floating around. The biggest risk are aerosols from infected people sneezing, coughing and speaking. Those are filtered out just fine by regular FFP2 and FFP3 masks. Also, reducing the "viral load" by any amount directly reduces your infection risk.

I get why it's propagated that any form of PPE is totally ineffective against viruses, as this prevents the general population from buying out the market, but still, take :bullshit: for what it really is.

Agree with this. Although not 100% effective, anything just objectively lowering the load reduces the risk, so it's certainly NOT useless at all.

AS you just said, many countries just can't provide the necessary amount of masks if everyone was buying them anyway - so it's convenient to just say it's ineffective and confine people.
The truth is that those masks are basically reserved for medical staffs (which makes sense), since we just don't have enough for everyone. But if medical staffs wear them, you can probably assume that they are somewhat effective... ::)

Some asian countries, like South Korea, have things to teach us. They are used to this, people are used to wearing masks (which we all tended to find funny outside of Asia), and they are doing well even in this exceptional case. There was no strict confinement there as far as I know. I have have witnessing of people living there and apart from slightly less people in the streets and almost all wearing masks, they are basically doing business as usual. Meanwhile, we here keep debating about everything and we are currently doing a lot worse. Probably time to get more humble maybe and start producing protection devices as much as we can.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 04:39:40 pm »
As to the above paint masks, I would also say this is a very bad idea. Just stick to FFP2 masks.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 04:59:55 pm »
As to the above paint masks, I would also say this is a very bad idea. Just stick to FFP2 masks.

If you can get them. (Which is certainly not the case over here.) I took the question about paint masks to mean: "Can you use these as a workaround?" 

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 05:05:53 pm »

If you can get them. (Which is certainly not the case over here.) I took the question about paint masks to mean: "Can you use these as a workaround?"

I know availability is a huge issue in many countries.

Anyway, I'd tend to think as I said above that those paint masks if effective would probably not be for very long, and then they'd start being a hazard, as you can't just dispose of them entirely (too expensive.)

The following users thanked this post: petert

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 05:07:09 pm »
Like this:

I would seem since it can offer an airtight seal, and it has a particle filter, it should be at least as effective than those surgical or even N95 masks right?

yes (with the proper filters) as soon as you do not touch your eyes or somebody doesn't cough or sneeze near your
there are also full face masks
but unless you already have one I would leave that to people working in the health system that currently, in most countries, are in desperate need of protection devices

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 05:12:36 pm »

you'll breathe easier and better buying stocks in toilet paper manufacturing companies

Idiots will be hoarding for at least another 6 months, perhaps 6 years if the panic show situation mutates into a global Palmdemic  :palm:  :palm:

there on the moon it might not yet be a pandemic here on the earth it is already so
and certified respiratory devices do protect you against the virus although the best is just getting out as little as possible and staying several meters away from other people in order to reduce as much as possible viral load (when present)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 05:27:03 pm »

You have a family to take care of, you are the only person they can count on. You can wear a valved mask and protect yourself or you can be a fake morality guy and not wear a valved mask and not protect yourself and have your family a risk to lose you.

Your choice?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: hendorog

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 05:33:36 pm »
Agreed... (the only point I'm weary of is as I said what happens after the mask has been exposed to some viral charge, how do you manage this? With a disposable mask, you just throw it away...)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2020, 06:28:57 pm »
You have a family to take care of, you are the only person they can count on. You can wear a valved mask and protect yourself or you can be a fake morality guy and not wear a valved mask and not protect yourself and have your family a risk to lose you.

Your choice?

I have to grant you that, you always stay true to yourself.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:29 pm »
Looks like painting masks are at least P95 rated = same as N95 or FFP2 but with oil resistance.
If you have the luxury of selection you really want FFP3, P100 or N100.

Silicone rubber facepiece seals lot better than single-use mask/respirator but as mentioned keeping the rubber facepiece kosher is another matter.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 07:53:12 pm »
Agreed... (the only point I'm weary of is as I said what happens after the mask has been exposed to some viral charge, how do you manage this? With a disposable mask, you just throw it away...)
Put on before you encounter contaminated areas and take off only after you have enough time to disinfect it before next use.  Overnight in +70cel sauna or electric oven should take care of even most stubborn coronaviruses.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 08:01:32 pm »
[Overnight in +70cel sauna or electric oven should take care of even most stubborn coronaviruses.

OK... can these masks take the 70°C punishment without getting damaged though?

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 08:18:32 pm »
[Overnight in +70cel sauna or electric oven should take care of even most stubborn coronaviruses.

OK... can these masks take the 70°C punishment without getting damaged though?
"probably"
I wouldn't worry about the mask itself, filter element is bigger question but I'm fairly confident that mild heat is the best option compared to others (steaming, boiling, gamma ray, soaking in alcohol)
Just my 0.01cents. In case I happen to be wrong I'll offer my condolences and 100% money-back refund.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 09:58:38 pm »
Any cheap and serious masks I have are for real breathing hazards, like painting, plaster dust, yard/garden blowouts, compressed air tool stink, welding and soldering up close etc etc
and let's not forget eye and ear protection in on the deal too

Anything beyond that calls for a proper self contained breathing rig coupled to a hazardous waste outfit, or NASA astro suit, END OF STORY, to keep real nasties and aliens out. 

I'm not fooling myself to believe if I walk around with a mask like all the clueless idiots I see breathing back their own moist exhales  ::)  +  :palm:
that it's going to keep out any real deal virus that will seep into a body one way or the other, sooner or later,

or NEVER at all if this turns out to be yet ANOTHER global panic bandwagon resulting in financially shafting battling families and struggling businesses even more.

Time will tell either way, and the clock is ticking..  :popcorn:

in the meantime, if I need to protect my airways from the occasional black smoke belching car, truck or bus, or billowing high rise dog box apartment construction dust,
a pocketed tissue, hanky or clean rag is a good enough short term PROVEN fix, cheap and portable     :clap:

and good enough to play the corona game too, whilst watching sickening hoarders empty the shelves, keeping a straight 'normal shopper' face  :--  :--     = (expletive) idiots  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf