Author Topic: Will this reverse polarity protection circuit cause a problem?  (Read 16322 times)

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
Re: Will this reverse polarity protection circuit cause a problem?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:59 pm »
yes, but if he is stupid enough to connect the supply backwards he should have to pay the stupid tax - in this case changing the fuse. With luck they won't do it again.

Meh.  The idiot is probably me at a later date.  And the real idiot was me not when I plugged it in wrong, but me when I built the thing such that it was easy to plug in wrong.  I don't mind replacing the fuse when I screw up, but if there is a cheap and effective solution that prevents damage -- or better yet actually work either way -- I am all for it.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 05:30:25 am »
why not change the plug ?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »
Of course,if the device is used in a car(CB,Ham radio,etc),& has one side of the chassis connected to (supposedly) earth/negative,& you wire it backwards,you can still short out the car battery via the  mounting screws.
Good point, you'd need to put the diode on both the negative and the positive to stop that.

yes, but if he is stupid enough to connect the supply backwards he should have to pay the stupid tax - in this case changing the fuse. With luck they won't do it again.
Yes, but if this is for a customer you'll have to put up with more crap from them if you tell them to replace the fuse every time they mess up.

Offline onemilimeterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »
If the electronic device requires +/-15V, can the circuit shown below be used for reverse polarity protection? I'm not sure about the negative supply part...

Cheers

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 10:47:44 pm »
Why not just use a full diode bridge and it doesnt matter which way you hook up the polarity?
-Time

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »
Why not just use a full diode bridge and it doesnt matter which way you hook up the polarity?

You might as well do that if you've got two voltage drops anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf