Author Topic: Will This Transformer Do For Tool Purchased In USA?  (Read 18996 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Will This Transformer Do For Tool Purchased In USA?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 11:47:13 am »
There is a big difference between a 220-115 adaptor and an autotransformer. The adaptor is basically a glorified light dimmer, designed to drive 115V resistive loads ( like heaters and clothes irons) with enough power to heat to the same level as if they are plugged into a US socket. They do this by horribly mangling the input voltage, and anything with a 115V transformer on the input will be fried very fast by it. Electronics also will blow up either instantly or in a few minutes.

The autotransformer takes 220VAC input, and supplies 115VAC output, giving a good sine wave at 50 Hz ( like the input) that will operate all electronics properly.

Using a converter with the charger you have will likely blow up the battery rather quickly, as the fast current spikes will overload both the charger and the battery. It will do a spectacular imitation of a flash bang, complete with the corrosive smoke and flying shrapnel. Not exactly what you want on your workbench, and not good for your underwear either. these chargers run hot as it is.

Offline Pentium100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 12:26:12 am »
There is a big difference between a 220-115 adaptor and an autotransformer. The adaptor is basically a glorified light dimmer, designed to drive 115V resistive loads

Wow, I'm glad I didn't get one of those when I bought a cheap 220-110 adapter. The one I have is an autotransformer, I don't think my local electronics store even has the electronic ones.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 02:24:57 am »
Take it apart. If it is indeed a capacitive charger, you can just replace the cap with one of double the voltage and half the capacitance.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:03 am »
Found this one guys:

Is it really up to 450W? Says not to use 30VA on hair dryer (on the picture) and also on the website says not to use hearing devices, electronical devices, home appliances and devices with big motors.

Your cheapest option may be to buy just the charger in Israel.

Its cost is close to 300W transformer. I think it is better to get transformer since i can use it with something else in the future just in case.

Quote from: NiHaoMike
Take it apart. If it is indeed a capacitive charger, you can just replace the cap with one of double the voltage and half the capacitance.

I am not qualified to do such a task.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 10:48:44 am »
Light dimmer with 2 settings - high crisp or low crisp.

I found ou the difference with the original Mac where they were originally 115V units, and the supplier gave a small converter with the first units ( and a replacement power supply board 2 months later) instead of a proper transformer. Later they got 230V boards and replaced these all.

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 05:00:54 pm »
This is NOT my post/pictures, but I found pictures of the inside of the charger if it may help anyone.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=869.0

If anyone needs more detailed pictures, I can take one of my own apart and take some.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 05:39:17 pm »
Looks like it's a switchmode PSU ( Why do some people think it's not isolated ? )
And the 350W rating only lasts for a few microseconds while charging the input caps .

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 06:09:10 pm »
Found this one guys:

Is it really up to 450W? Says not to use 30VA on hair dryer (on the picture) and also on the website says not to use hearing devices, electronical devices, home appliances and devices with big motors.

That is an electronic travel adapter. It can only be used for short periods to run hair dryers or travel irons or electric cup heaters, things like that. It cannot be used for any electronic device, nor can it be used for long periods. It can't be used for your battery charger.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 06:22:36 am »
That is an electronic travel adapter. It can only be used for short periods to run hair dryers or travel irons or electric cup heaters, things like that. It cannot be used for any electronic device, nor can it be used for long periods. It can't be used for your battery charger.

Thanks IanB for information. Can you advice on this one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/600w-aquarium-intermittent-timer-switch-adapter-blue-ac-220v-2-flat-pin-plug-122564

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 06:53:02 am »
Thanks IanB for information. Can you advice on this one?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/600w-aquarium-intermittent-timer-switch-adapter-blue-ac-220v-2-flat-pin-plug-122564
I can! Try reading the item title.  Only transforming that will do will be transforming connected 110V gear into smoke!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 08:33:05 am »
Here is what i found today about DeWalt charger:

http://dewalt-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/753

Is it that bad to use transformer? Does that mean the only way out is to buy original appropriate charger for my country?

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:27 am »
Is it that bad to use transformer?
No! Nothing wrong with using a CORRECTLY RATED stepdown transformer apart from it being more cumbersome. The device you posted last WAS NOT a transformer!

Does that mean the only way out is to buy original appropriate charger for my country?
No!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
Is it that bad to use transformer?
No! Nothing wrong with using a CORRECTLY RATED stepdown transformer apart from it being more cumbersome. The device you posted last WAS NOT a transformer!

Does that mean the only way out is to buy original appropriate charger for my country?
No!

No need to shout Vernon. Patience is a virtue.

I did not assume the last device to be a stepdown transformer. I was referring to DeWalt's explanation about chargers. Additionally, do you think purchasing stepdown transformer instead of original charger will make more sense because transformer can be used for other purposes as well?

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »
No need to shout Vernon.
Yes there is! I have enough years up to be entitled to be short. Equally I could reply no need to ask the bleeding obvious!

Patience is a virtue.
A virtue indeed, but a virtue tested by repetition.

I did not assume the last device to be a stepdown transformer.
Then why the hell was it included in the discussion?

I was referring to DeWalt's explanation about chargers.
Where the hell did DeWalt make reference to dubious Asian timer switches?

Additionally, do you think purchasing stepdown transformer instead of original charger will make more sense because transformer can be used for other purposes as well?
That depends entirely upon your intended use. If the tool is carted about like most are with the charger in a heavy duty case then having to carry/remember an additional heave stepdown TX will soon become a right pain. If the charger livesin the shed/garage then it won't be much of a problem.  Your step down needs to be sufficient for the start-up and running current demands of your charger.
No one can tell you what set of compromises will workbest for you, that's a choice you have to make for yourself. What works for someone else may not be your best option. 
If you want my opinion I'd by  the local charger to be sure not to add yet another annoyance to my day, for someone else one a tight budget a TX and USA charger may be the answer to their prayers.  Ask for support by all means but remember when you are asking for opinions everyone has one, some people have more. Only opinion that will matter to you in the end is your own.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:10:13 pm by Uncle Vernon »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »
I did not assume the last device to be a stepdown transformer.
Then why the hell was it included in the discussion?

Because i thought this one would work for me.

Quote from: Uncle Vernon
I was referring to DeWalt's explanation about chargers.
Quote from: Boris_yo
Where the hell did DeWalt make reference to dubious Asian timer switches?

I have posted link to DeWalt's information webpage about using US chargers in UK.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »
If you want to use the US charger and are thinking of buying other US tools why not not get a suitable US inverter and run the unit of that. You will then be able to run the charger mobile and getting a suitable 12 Volt source is a lot easier for charging the unit at home.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »
If you want to use the US charger and are thinking of buying other US tools why not not get a suitable US inverter and run the unit of that. You will then be able to run the charger mobile and getting a suitable 12 Volt source is a lot easier for charging the unit at home.

You mean i could use US tools around the world with inverter and appropriate wall socket adapters? What is the difference between transformer and inverter by the way?

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »
Oh, jeez...

Just go buy the proper charger already.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 09:31:08 pm »
I meant the type of inverter that is used in Vehicles or campers etc input 12 volts output 120 volt 60HZ

Uncle Vernon

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 01:24:39 am »
If you want to use the US charger and are thinking of buying other US tools why not not get a suitable US inverter and run the unit of that.
Er Price? That and you now have two extra pieces of crap to cart about.  A hefty mains powered supply? and a 300W plus inverter.

You will then be able to run the charger mobile and getting a suitable 12 Volt source is a lot easier for charging the unit at home.
This assumes the OP is a driver or owner of a motor car and travels sufficient distance to sufficiently charge the tool batteries. If not you again back into a mess of trouble with run down vehicle batteries etc. Running a vehicle just to charge batteries is not exactly efficient. And yes I know a vehicle isn't the only source of suitable 12VDC. You could also carry a compass, a solar panel, a charger regulator, and an inverter, to charge the tool batteries. (don't count on doing too much work with it at night or on cloudy days) Hey you could even carry a suitable windmill.

All of which leads back to suggestions such as
Oh, jeez...

Just go buy the proper charger already.

If you want to use the US charger you need at least a 350VA rated transformer, no amount of wishing or magic is going to change that. The DeWalt advice refers mostly to complying with nanny state workplace legislation than with a transformer being able to operate correctly. 
eBay will have hundreds of enclosed 350W+ rated 240 to 110V stepdown transformers listed at any possible moment. Just have  a safety check done on anything of dubious origin done before plugging it in.

On evaluation of all factors the advice offered above by Monkeh is probably the best you can get.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 10:20:53 am »
Found these which look compact. Check out the wattage they provide:

300W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110754892289&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

1600W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360439792248&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

1600W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290681129168&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

2 last ones are cheaper, look smaller and have 1600W compared to large step down transformers which cost lot more and range from 150W - 500W that i saw.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:16 am »
Found these which look compact. Check out the wattage they provide:

300W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110754892289&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

1600W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360439792248&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

1600W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290681129168&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

2 last ones are cheaper, look smaller and have 1600W compared to large step down transformers which cost lot more and range from 150W - 500W that i saw.

None of those are transformers. What you need is a transformer not a power adapter rated at least at 600 VA to allow for power surge on switch on. The primary rated at your home voltage and the secondary at 115 volts. one of these would do the trick http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-110v-1-5Kva-Site-Transformer-output-x2-110v-16amp-/200597563607?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2eb48be8d7#ht_1848wt_1185
there are lots more on ebay what you need to type in for your search is "site transformer" any one will do as long as it has a large enough rating in other words above 600VA so the 1.5 KVA will work a treat but in all probability you might as well go fo a 3.5 KVA as you will get it for the same price.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 11:23:17 am »
Site transformer is needed if i work with power tool. Why would i need such big stuff for little cordless charger?

Why this won't do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360441048199&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_3746wt_937

This is similar but it clearly states that it is for DeWalt charger, although 200W:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130501941239&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_3747wt_937

Finally this is original charger but used however and intended for use in 220-240 electricity standard countries:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251030363583&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123#ht_500wt_954

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 11:37:56 am »
Those "compact" things are just glorified light dimmers . It's been said before .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf