Author Topic: Win 7 support stop: do you also receive a tsunami of idiot Indian calls?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Win 7 support stop: do you also receive a tsunami of idiot Indian calls?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 12:18:19 am »
I take the call, but won't speak first...   their prompters are programmed to respond to a voice.  If you don't speak, the line remains silent, and you know you're dealing with a scam/spam call. 

After a few seconds silence, you just hang up.

Works every time.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 04:15:12 am »
In the days of phone answering machines I used to have the machine “answer” with only the tone sequence that the phone companies in the US all used for not in service lines and no voice greeting.  I told all my friends that they could still leave a message and most of them understood.  It got rid of all the unwanted calls and a few people that just couldn’t understand.   ;D
It may still work today if the calling algorithm understands these tones and you have some means of playing the tones before speaking.  A true “smart phone” should have some means of answering with such tones; maybe someone has developed an app.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, schmitt trigger

Online BentaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 08:16:51 pm »
I take the call, but won't speak first...   their prompters are programmed to respond to a voice.  If you don't speak, the line remains silent, and you know you're dealing with a scam/spam call. 

After a few seconds silence, you just hang up.

Works every time.

This is brilliant. It's now in my arsenal :)

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 06:28:49 am »
Riiiiing
Me picking up the phone: Yellow!
Some guy with a heavy Indian accent: Hello sir, my name is John Davis, I am calling you from the windows department...
Me: David Jones from the EEVblog!?
Indian guy: No sir, John Davis, from the windows department, there is a problem with your computer...
Me: I can not express with words how disappointed I am!  Have a good day and goodbye!!!
Click.
Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 06:49:09 am »
When I get a subcontinental call claiming to be calling from “Windows” or Microsoft, I answer “No, you’re not.  Does your mother know you’re doing this?”
Unfortunately, most of my spam calls now are recorded, and have no shame.

Even if you stall for just a couple of minutes your may help prevent them from calling a less savvy person more prone to these scams.  So, I just play along for a few minutes until they give up.
Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2020, 07:49:58 am »
I wonder how these Scam Agencies Operate... Is it like a "regular Callcenter" employing the desperate? Or is it just themselves and their buddies doing it?
Do they only scam westerners or do they try and scam other "markets of gullible" as well?

Apparently it is profitable enough to have been running this type of scam for so many years now.
As easy as paint by number.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2020, 09:48:10 am »
I wonder how these Scam Agencies Operate... Is it like a "regular Callcenter" employing the desperate? Or is it just themselves and their buddies doing it?
Do they only scam westerners or do they try and scam other "markets of gullible" as well?

It's basically a middle class job, commission only and casual. There is a small second floor office, with PCs and VOIP phones.
There are more honest jobs if you just want to pay the bills, the scammers are just lazy and enjoy stealing from others.
Oh and the scammer's relatives don't know what they do at work, and disown them when they find out.

One week a scammer could be working for one company, the next week a different one.
Most of the long term people know each other.
Each company has a owner/boss, and usually runs several different scams each day.

One Youtube channel got into the bosses' computer, made a huge mess of everything.
Deleted all his files, messed with his hotmail, refunded $100,000 in the company bank account back to the victims.
Changed the bosses's personal voicemail to something rude and abusive, did the same to his facebook.
Changed all the passwords, so nothing could be fixed.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, SerieZ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf