Author Topic: Window OEM Licence  (Read 23132 times)

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Window OEM Licence
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 05:33:50 pm »
Just install Linux. Windows 8.* is an affront to mankind. ;)

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »
Just install Linux. Windows 8.* is an affront to mankind. ;)

I agree but you can use W8 like W7 if you really want it.
eurofox

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 05:39:01 pm »
I'm not sure what you're replying to, but it looks like that is only relevant if you don't know your Win8 magic key. I did know the magic WinXP key, and MS refused to accept it. (Yup, MS is horribly accurate pun in my case!)
My previous post is just an attempt to guide in the right direction.  There are lots of websites which explains in detail the steps.
I can't see anything wrong (or illegal) with getting the key by this way, ie using the 'RWEverything' tool.

Time ago, I had a similar problem, and finally, I was forced to activate windows using the phone.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:43:43 pm by Carrington »
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 05:41:15 pm »
Haha, the goold old BIOS OEM key crap strikes again!

I had a similar issue with Office, I lost the key, used magic key finder, re-installed office, put in the key and it said "invalid product key"...It was the same bloody disc I used in the first place! WTF?!

In the end I got so pee'd off with it I downloaded MS Office professional (you can't get "standard" versions from "special" locations).

Same happened with Windows 7 and 8.1 on laptops I own(ed), I upgraded the HDD, reinstalled the OS for it to come back and say it wasn't activated and all the rest of the rubbish, typed in the product key and it still failed!  :palm:

One Windows Toolkit later I had a fully working version with a Dell BIOS patch (I had Dell machines).

So, I do have license keys for most of the stuff I have installed, just not necessarily the ones that came with the product in the first place!

I wasted far too long talking to MS and titting around with Office to realise I was on my own, so when Windows buggered up I didn't even bother contacting them I just sorted it myself.

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 09:19:03 pm »
And mfg's can't seem to figure out why people pirate software? A few episodes like that and half the world starts to say "screw you!"

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »
Get your key:
http://www.urtech.ca/2013/06/solved-missing-windows-8-coa-certificate-of-authenticity-cd-key/

Fix the activation key:
http://www.urtech.ca/2012/08/solved-windows-cant-be-activated-right-now-windows-8/

But I didn't try it because I don't have a windows 8 machine so try it at your own risk.

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 09:52:21 pm »
Hit the post button a little too quick on my last post, but anyway...

If this is a school issued laptop which seems to be pretty common these days, why don't you back up any important data then contact the school and pitch a fit? If it was issued shouldn't it be the schools responsibility to ensure their systems are legitimate?

Offline HackedFridgeMagnetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:18 pm »
The laptop in question has gone for a sleepover wont be back for a day and a half. Is still working unactivated. Not sure if the blue reminder screen is still popping up though, that slmgr command may have worked.

As for Linux, I would like to get it on there, but he needs Windows to play his computer games. Might get a dual boot going though.

I refused to get him MS Office and installed Libre Office instead but he has somehow got some version of MS Office going himself. I dont think it is a hacked version although I did uninstall BitTorrent a few months ago. He likes the Power Point application in it a lot more than Libre Office.

As for Windows 8, its so annoying, new ways to not find your programs, yeah I prefer 7 as well, I never use my touch screen anyway.

It is still under warranty, though I bought it off EBay, but I am not sure where the nearest Acer Rep is, we are from the South Island, I dont want to pay $50 dollars for postage when I could buy a new licence for $70 with a real Key.
The thing is I know it is legit, because I got $75 cash back direct from Acer when I bought it.  It took me 1.5 hours to do this. Lol. So many hoops and checks and then they gave me a debit card with $75 dollars on it.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2014, 01:12:30 am »
Where can you get a new license for $70?

I'll have to admit that by the time I had paid $50 for "restore media" (my fault, there, though), and was looking at sending in the laptop for repair (they WOULDN'T  pay postage, even under warranty, IIRC), just buying a new copy of windows was looking awfully attractive...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 05:25:02 am »
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/en_AU/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288492700?tid=sOxNe7EM4_dc&cid=5367&pcrid=51595718957&pkw=win%208%20student&pmt=b&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+AU_google_Windows+8&WT.term=win%208%20student&WT.campaign=Windows+8&WT.content=OxNe7EM4&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc

Sorry this is a student edition. Probably doesn't apply to you.

This student-only discount requires verification of student status prior to purchase. Limit five (5) copies of this item per 12-month period.*
This academic offer for eligible students, faculty and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase and is subject to limitations.

Not sure how you get this verified with them. Might take as long as reclaiming your existing licence.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:14 am »
Just FYI - OEM "de-bundling", selling/using either licenses from existing computers or directly separated OEM licenses has been legal in Germany for many years (and there is also a EU directive about this but probably most EU countries did not get the message).

Therefore there are plenty of legit OEM licenses. Combine this with the fact that you can download windows 8 legitimately from Microsoft and you just need the serial ... and you can basically shop from anywhere unless you are something like a corporation and need to adhere to some strict supply chains.

If we look on ebay and restrict ourselves only to shops there's for example one selling licenses for 29,50 [that's EUR, of course]. That is including a normal bill, including VAT (which you can claim back if you're from EU). And is multilanguage. Never heard of this particular seller but I can bet it is legit. And of course it isn't only one, there's another one selling for 29,90 (more than 10 available) and so on.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 08:54:23 am »
Another option is back it up and go into the recovery console (hit F8 several times at boot and select recovery) and reload the OS using the recovery partition.  It should reload in a pre-activated state.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 10:20:20 am »
Another option is back it up and go into the recovery console (hit F8 several times at boot and select recovery) and reload the OS using the recovery partition.  It should reload in a pre-activated state.
Provided, of course, the disk still works. If not, then what?

(With WinXP, simply reload from CD)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25:19 am »
What disk? Times have changed.

My son was very patient as he contacted Acer, Microsoft and Acer but in the end they fobbed him off.
We sent proof of purchase, and they auto emailed me to say our Warranty status was updated.
After this Acer told my son that it wasn't a legitimate licence because it was bought off EBay. They added if we had actually bought it off Acer they could fix it for us.

So I had my go, turned my "pretend to be angry" dial up to 11 and swore and carried on at Acer. 
Then to Microsoft just yelled and got angry.
Microsoft said the Product Key was no longer valid as Acer had overused it.
Then he said 'have a wonderful day', so I yelled some more.
Back to Acer, finally they said they are sending around a courier on Wednesday to pick up the laptop.

I think that by yelling in this case I moved them faster to their fallback position.
I am hoping they will actually fix it.

I am not happy about Acer lying to my son, or Microsoft making this so hard.
I think the best option in future is Linux or at least a non OEM licence.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:21:37 pm by HackedFridgeMagnet »

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:31 am »
Acer overused their OEM license, that's a first.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 12:15:02 pm »
And mfg's can't seem to figure out why people pirate software? A few episodes like that and half the world starts to say "screw you!"
+1  Dont want your software pirated? make it more convenient to not pirate it...   Ive used Steam for video games for years, and generally spend a bunch when steam sales come around etc, and have a huge steam library of games. When I want a game, add to cart, purchase, install, done.  Steam is even well behaved about offline mode too.  But then EA gets uppity about not wanting to share their profits on a $60 game with $0.10 of distribution cost (digital delivery) Pulls their games from steam, makes you use their 'Origin' software instead (which has to be online iirc, or at least did at one point), it freaks out even if you lose connection while youre playing.  Yeah... no, installing from an iso and replacing a .exe so I dont have to deal with your shit is easier. 

Ubisoft nearly pulled the same stunt with 'uplay'. But I guess someone informed some suit in management that '10,000,005 uplay users, and 10,000,000 steam users' actually meant only 5 people use uplay by itself, and everyone else lets it pop up on its own from steam when you play an ubisoft game  ::)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »

My son was very patient as he contacted Acer, Microsoft and Acer but in the end they fobbed him off.
We sent proof of purchase, and they auto emailed me to say our Warranty status was updated.
After this Acer told my son that it wasn't a legitimate licence because it was bought off EBay. They added if we had actually bought it off Acer they could fix it for us.
Who did you buy it from? Acer, a retailer or independent seller?

You need to take this up with the person who sold it to you as that is who you have made the contract with. The same is true, if you buy a car from a garage and have a problem, you don't go to the manufacturer but the garage who sold it to you.

Contact the seller, get them to fix it or refund you.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »

Who did you buy it from? Acer, a retailer or independent seller?

You need to take this up with the person who sold it to you as that is who you have made the contract with. The same is true, if you buy a car from a garage and have a problem, you don't go to the manufacturer but the garage who sold it to you.

Contact the seller, get them to fix it or refund you.

Not if it is out of warranty, of course.

As it was in my case, where Microsoft and Samsung pointed fingers at each other, saying "not our problem".
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 04:38:02 pm »
That depends on the consumer law in your location.

Here in the UK it doesn't matter whether it's in warranty or not. If a product doesn't last a reasonable length of time and it isn't your fault or due to normal wear and tear, the seller still has to do something about it irrespective of whether its in the warranty period or not.

As it was in my case, where Microsoft and Samsung pointed fingers at each other, saying "not our problem".
It makes no difference. It's the person who sold it to you who carries the responsibility, not the manufacturer or software company.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx

Refurbished/used PCs

Q. What is the difference between a refurbished PC and a used PC?

A used PC is a computer system that has had few or no hardware changes. The license for OEM software on a used PC may not be transferred to a new or different PC. However, the entire used PC, including the software media, manuals, and Certificate of Authenticity, may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights.

Q.  Can I sell secondhand computer systems with the original Microsoft software, or will a new license be required before selling?

Generally speaking, in the case of OEM or OEM system builder software, the license may not be transferred to a new or different PC. However, the entire used PC, including the software media, manuals, and Certificate of Authenticity, may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights.

Under: Genuine Microsoft Software

Q. How can I get a replacement COA?

A. To get a replacement COA, send email to the appropriate COA replacement team (see the table below). The COA replacement team will be able to assist you with your questions and concerns regarding the COA Replacement Program.

COA replacement team information by region

For APOC countries/languages/regions, email sbcap@msdirectservices.com
For AMEA countries/ languages/regions, email csdsbc@msdirectservices.com
For other listed countries/ languages/regions, email sbcreplacea@msdirectservices.com

Edit: noticed the OP is in Australia, so use the first e-mail.

On the list it shows the US as in other so use the last e-mail.
Don't mention refurbished, just tell them it's used.

Refurbished means they changed hardware so the refurbisher should get a new OEM license.
Used means someone sold you a used system with no hardware changes.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:34:52 pm by miguelvp »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:33 pm »
That depends on the consumer law in your location.

Here in the UK it doesn't matter whether it's in warranty or not. If a product doesn't last a reasonable length of time and it isn't your fault or due to normal wear and tear, the seller still has to do something about it irrespective of whether its in the warranty period or not.

It makes no difference. It's the person who sold it to you who carries the responsibility, not the manufacturer or software company.

Well, it had been around the world in a backpack (arguably twice!), so it would have been difficult to claim fair wear and tear for the hard disk. I have a very good idea what Amazon would have said, quite reasonably in this case.

For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't mind replacing the disk. I did and still do object to Microsoft refusing to allow me to re-install something I had already purchased. MS's "certificate of authenticity" on the laptop containing the magic installation key is merely a bad joke at my expense: clearly the authenticity meant nothing!

Oh well. Microsoft's loss - this machine is still running Xubuntu very well, and I have no intention of upgrading my WinXP on other machines unless and until there's absolutely no option.

MS lost my daughter as well. MS in 2010 = IBM in 1980: visibly and rapidly becoming irrelevant.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 06:08:15 pm »
another stick to chew on:

The licence dies with the motherboard/cpu

Microsoft sells OEM licences for people that want to build their own computers. once installed the licence is tied to the motherboard / cpu. there are a few other 'tilt' bits like the Graphics card and drive serial number. in general you can change the drive or the graphics card without problems. start changing too many components and the os will ask to re-activate. this will work once on-line and a second time over the phone.

what puzzles me in this story :

the machine was bought with windows pre-installed. if the bios holds the key then an install of the EXACT SKU will work without a hitch. installation of a different SKU will need a new key.

something doesn't fit in the story...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 06:09:51 pm »
For the avoidance of doubt, I didn't mind replacing the disk. I did and still do object to Microsoft refusing to allow me to re-install something I had already purchased.

A question for clarification:

With Windows 7 and an OEM install, I have been able to use disk imaging software to clone the original disk onto a new replacement disk and the system continues to be authenticated. I can also make an image backup of the disk onto external media and then restore this backup onto a new disk and the system continues to be authenticated with the new disk in place.

So are we saying Microsoft has changed things in Windows 8 so that these things no longer work? If so, it seems like a major screw up and a reason to avoid buying any system with Windows 8 on it. How could you possibly live with a system that doesn't allow you to make a recovery image of your disk?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:18 pm »
what puzzles me in this story :

the machine was bought with windows pre-installed. if the bios holds the key then an install of the EXACT SKU will work without a hitch. installation of a different SKU will need a new key.

something doesn't fit in the story...

I assume this is directed at me, though not completely sure. I kind of resent you calling this a story, but I guess I am flaming Microsoft and Acer so I suppose it is only fair to give any reasonable information that people may be interested in. 
Yes windows was pre installed.
The name of the company selling this on EBay is called http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/oz.buy though my invoice came from a company called ECom computers who apparently have an office in Pitt Street Sydney. I have an Australian Tax invoice which Acer is happy with and have paid GST too. So it isn't grey market.

Dont know what you mean by an SKU is in this case. I have an SNID from ACER on the bottom. If you are talking about Microsoft Product Key, well apparently it is in the UEFI as it is no longer called BIOS on this machine. Either I cant access it, or the one I can access doesn't work.
One thing I did change in the Hardware, I did add and extra 4 gigabytes of ram. But from my understanding it doesn't effect the hardware ID. I haven't touched hardware apart from this.

As for something not fitting in this story, I agree, that's why I'm trying to get this fixed and expose this stupid situation where I bought something but can't use it.

The funny thing is that the machine worked (probably unactivated) up until two weeks ago but just recently it started bringing up these activation reminder screens every half an hour. Is this a change of Microsoft policy?

I will admit my son and I are stuck with Windows as it currently is the best gaming platform. I second the notion that Valve and Steam do this Licensing and Activation extremely well and I have never yet had a problem with them.

With Windows 7 and an OEM install, I have been able to use disk imaging software to clone the original disk onto a new replacement disk and the system continues to be authenticated. I can also make an image backup of the disk onto external media and then restore this backup onto a new disk and the system continues to be authenticated with the new disk in place.

So are we saying Microsoft has changed things in Windows 8 so that these things no longer work? If so, it seems like a major screw up and a reason to avoid buying any system with Windows 8 on it. How could you possibly live with a system that doesn't allow you to make a recovery image of your disk?
I cant answer this but I am interested in your answer. As I mentioned earlier I do have a hard drive with Windows 7 on it from my previous Dell laptop. I thought I could've possibly used this in the Acer?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 11:29:03 pm »
The name of the company selling this on EBay is called http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/oz.buy though my invoice came from a company called ECom computers who apparently have an office in Pitt Street Sydney. I have an Australian Tax invoice which Acer is happy with and have paid GST too. So it isn't grey market.
Right, now we're getting somewhere, so it's an Australian company, not a private individual and it's still within the warranty period which is very good.

Have you tried contacting them? It's the seller who should fix it for you and then they can (hopefully) recoup their costs form MS or Acer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf