Author Topic: Window screens  (Read 5123 times)

Offline james_sTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Window screens
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2023, 08:08:17 pm »
Source of picture (weird picture, possibly reversed, as we drive on the left):
Why would they reverse that? Are we trying not to offend the Americans or something now?

It seems they got it from a photo stock company (iStock, info in bottom left of picture), so it is probably from a European country, with similar looking cars, who drive on the right.

Also, apart from London (perhaps, and maybe a handful of other very big cities), 5 lane roads in both directions, are not common in the UK.

I see a few pickup trucks, quite a few SUVs, and at least a couple of fullsized vans that look rather American, I suspect it may be somewhere in the USA or Canada. The resolution is too low to make out the shape of the license plates or any signage which would be helpful. Whatever the case, stock photos are everywhere in news articles, reminds me of a funny situation during the early parts of the pandemic where there was a stock hospital photo used in a lot of articles and people thinking it was some kind of conspiracy. As if they could just wander into the covid ward of any random hospital and take their own picture of patients.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2023, 09:45:51 pm »
Global warming has raised the average temperature of the planet only 0.8C per decade since 1981 according to what I've found. That's enough to cause problems but not likely going to be very perceptible to humans or affect the amount of time you'd want to open the windows. Where I live has weather similar to that in the UK and it does seem like our summers are a bit hotter than when I was a kid, but it's always gotten pretty hot for at least a few weeks.

I think that Global warming, average temperature rise, does seem to be rather a lot.

(2023 - 1981) / 10 = 4.2 decades.
4.2 x 0.8 = 3.36 Degrees C average temperature rise, between 1981 and now.

Does seem quite a lot, and not all (or even many) animals, fish, plants and other biological things (e.g. Bacteria), may not be able to adequately cope/adapt in time.

Combined with the (apparently) ever increasing human population count.

Things could go bad (if they haven't already), sooner or later.

You're right, we (as humans) may not be too bothered by it.  Perhaps turning up the A/C a notch or two, or opening windows, increasing electric fan use etc.

But we are relying on the rest of the animal/fish/plant/other kingdoms to provide us with food, fresh/breathable air and all sorts of other things.

Also, some people seem to think, that if we over-crowd the planet (humans), then things like pandemics, will become more frequent.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2023, 10:01:00 pm »
For some reason, regions of the Earth that have had substantial problems from global warming (e.g., extended drought) seem to be less than peaceful.
https://theyearsproject.com/latest/is-climate-change-causing-more-wars  and many more studies in recent years.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2023, 10:06:18 pm »
I see a few pickup trucks, quite a few SUVs, and at least a couple of fullsized vans that look rather American, I suspect it may be somewhere in the USA or Canada. The resolution is too low to make out the shape of the license plates or any signage which would be helpful. Whatever the case, stock photos are everywhere in news articles, reminds me of a funny situation during the early parts of the pandemic where there was a stock hospital photo used in a lot of articles and people thinking it was some kind of conspiracy. As if they could just wander into the covid ward of any random hospital and take their own picture of patients.

There seem to be other version(s) of that picture, with completely different looking vehicles.  So, maybe one of the pictures is the original, they then photoshopped or AI photo changed the picture, to have different vehicle types, to the original picture.  Also, it seems to have too many vehicles, too close together, so may be more made up than real, as such.

The original, seems to be from Lagos.

Here:
https://lagossdgandinvestment.com/glancelagos

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2023, 10:10:43 pm »
For some reason, regions of the Earth that have had substantial problems from global warming (e.g., extended drought) seem to be less than peaceful.
https://theyearsproject.com/latest/is-climate-change-causing-more-wars  and many more studies in recent years.

I have heard that higher temperatures, especially excessive ones, put people under stress, and make arguments more likely.  So, maybe that extends to bigger, regional conflicts and things.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2023, 11:01:09 pm »
That plus physical problems, especially drought.
Since biblical times, drought has resulted in migration and conflict.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2023, 11:32:46 pm »
That plus physical problems, especially drought.
Since biblical times, drought has resulted in migration and conflict.

Ironically, even electronics and computers, generally don't like the heat, either.

Pity we can't just invent something, which can turn heat (temperature) as opposed to temperature differences, into electricity.  Saving burning so much fossil fuels and reducing the global temperatures (maybe or maybe not, as that electricity would eventually be turned back into heat, when it is used, typically).

It would be great, if we could all (world wide) band together and invent/construct and pay for massive carbon-dioxide removal techniques, and perhaps then bury the excess CO2, back underground somewhere, out of the way.

Instead governments, seem to go for things like forced LED light ownership and electric vehicles.  Yet, they still need enormous amounts of energy and stuff, to be created in the first place.

E.g. An electric car and its batteries, must use up a huge amount of energy and precious materials, in their construction, and will need to get their electricity and spare parts, from somewhere.  So are they really saving the planet, like governments, seem to be implying (by their forced introduction, in the coming future, in many countries).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2023, 12:17:14 am »

I never claimed that it doesn't cause problems, only that the warming isn't enough that a person is typically going to walk outside and think "wow it feels warmer than it used to" or be much more likely to open a window. The significant problems are mostly indirect, a small change can cascade and result in larger problems.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2023, 12:19:26 am »
Pity we can't just invent something, which can turn heat (temperature) as opposed to temperature differences, into electricity.  Saving burning so much fossil fuels and reducing the global temperatures (maybe or maybe not, as that electricity would eventually be turned back into heat, when it is used, typically).

That's kind of how physics works though. Heat is a bit like static electricity, unless the heat (or electricity) is flowing somewhere, no work is getting done.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2023, 12:21:37 am »

There seem to be other version(s) of that picture, with completely different looking vehicles.  So, maybe one of the pictures is the original, they then photoshopped or AI photo changed the picture, to have different vehicle types, to the original picture.  Also, it seems to have too many vehicles, too close together, so may be more made up than real, as such.

The original, seems to be from Lagos.

Here:
https://lagossdgandinvestment.com/glancelagos

Well that one you can see a few numbers and car emblems and such so it's pretty clear that the picture hasn't been reversed. I doubt it has been altered at all, I've never been to Lagos but I see no reason to suspect it isn't an authentic picture of a highway there.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2023, 01:03:22 am »
Unusual that the traffic would be backed up in both directions at the same time. Generally everyone is either going to work or coming home. Not impossible of course, just unusual.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2023, 01:15:37 am »
Not impossible of course, just unusual.
youve never been on the M25 then,especially the bit from the M40-M3,its unusual if 1 carriage way is free running let alone both

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2023, 01:18:52 am »

That's kind of how physics works though. Heat is a bit like static electricity, unless the heat (or electricity) is flowing somewhere, no work is getting done.

My understanding, is that it might be theoretically possible.

Example:
You use a very high efficiency heat pump, to turn the existing temperature into a temperature difference, perhaps using a fifth (or hopefully higher) of the electrical energy, that would have been needed, to create the heating (temperature increase) using resistive heating elements.

You then use that temperature difference to power a thermopile  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_generator  with perhaps an ...

efficiency is approximately 33-37%

can be used.  Then it might be possible, eventually, to make realistic ones, which can 'profitably' extract electricity, out of pure/fixed temperature.

Just that they need to invent, practicable heat-pumps and thermopiles, with the necessary high enough efficiencies, over compatible temperature ranges.

But don't worry.  I've heard about and/or spoken to one or more people, who strongly think that the Physics of what I just said, is relatively impossible and it would never work.

Anyway, as a backup solution.  Perhaps fusion power will be invented one day (by that I mean our own fusion generators, excluding calling solar cells/panels fusion as they use the suns natural fusion energy system).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 01:23:27 am by MK14 »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2023, 03:14:37 am »
I was chatting with my British friend recently and he was complaining about the warm weather and not being able to open windows because of all the bugs getting in the house so I asked if he needed new window screens and he said he didn't have any and that they aren't really a thing there at all.

Your friend is correct about screens not being a thing. Firstly, your friend is a wuss. There are a few people who jump up and down and scream: "Ooh, a little flying insect, oh no, how scary!" Most people just shrug and ignore them.

Secondly, most British windows are on hinges and open outwards, making screens impractical to fit. If you tried to open the window, it would hit the screen. Sliding windows are not that common.

Thirdly, flying insects really aren't a thing (at least, not compared to the Eastern USA). Things that come inside during the day: Wasps--not that common, and if they come in you just shoo them out again, or swat them. Flies--same deal. Things that come inside at night: Mosquitoes--depends on the location. Rare in most of the country, but if you live in a mosquito zone, then very annoying. Moths: yeah, well, just ignore them. Crane flies (daddy longlegs): pretty annoying in the season, but harmless. Just ignore them unless you are a girl. Otherwise, squealing is entertaining.

My perspective: I have never cared about having open windows in the summer in Britain, except the one time that I lived an a mosquito area. And then, it was really annoying to splat a mozzie and get a blood stain on the wall  :(

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2023, 05:30:42 am »
I was chatting with my British friend recently and he was complaining about the warm weather and not being able to open windows because of all the bugs getting in the house so I asked if he needed new window screens and he said he didn't have any and that they aren't really a thing there at all.

Your friend is correct about screens not being a thing. Firstly, your friend is a wuss. There are a few people who jump up and down and scream: "Ooh, a little flying insect, oh no, how scary!" Most people just shrug and ignore them.

Secondly, most British windows are on hinges and open outwards, making screens impractical to fit. If you tried to open the window, it would hit the screen. Sliding windows are not that common.

Thirdly, flying insects really aren't a thing (at least, not compared to the Eastern USA). Things that come inside during the day: Wasps--not that common, and if they come in you just shoo them out again, or swat them. Flies--same deal. Things that come inside at night: Mosquitoes--depends on the location. Rare in most of the country, but if you live in a mosquito zone, then very annoying. Moths: yeah, well, just ignore them. Crane flies (daddy longlegs): pretty annoying in the season, but harmless. Just ignore them unless you are a girl. Otherwise, squealing is entertaining.

My perspective: I have never cared about having open windows in the summer in Britain, except the one time that I lived an a mosquito area. And then, it was really annoying to splat a mozzie and get a blood stain on the wall  :(

Outward opening windows make fitting screens a bit more difficult, but not that bad.  Simplest solution would be a screen hinged on the same side as the window.  Open window with screen lying against the window (the stowed position), then close the screen. 

I wonder why annoying insects are less common in Britain.  Certainly all climates in the US have them.  Many are totally harmless, but some are very noisy.  Others like June Bugs and Cicadas and grasshoppers are generally a total non issue, but the overwhelming numbers for a week or two each year is a real pain.  If a percent get into the house you are talking about hundreds or thousands of insects with a very significant total volume.  Outdoors they are literally shoveled up for disposal with snow shovels.

You don't have to be a wuss to prefer the bugs outdoors.  Large houseflies can interfere with sleep from noise and they tickle/irritate if they are walking on exposed skin.  And if you know their life cycle (they lay their eggs in dung and the larvae eat it before transforming into the adult fly, which ends up walking around on the same material before going on its merry ventures) having them walk around on your dishes, counters and food is distasteful.  Bees and wasps are a non-issue until one gets trapped between you and a chair or bedding.  And then is life threatening if you are sensitive.  I became sensitized one summer when we had an unusually heavy infestation and was stung on seven separate occasions.  The first was a non issue, and not even particularly painful.  But by the seventh my entire hand and forearm became swollen to more than twice its normal size.  I am not interested in finding the next step in the progression.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2023, 06:40:08 am »
Not impossible of course, just unusual.
youve never been on the M25 then,especially the bit from the M40-M3,its unusual if 1 carriage way is free running let alone both

Or Perth, WA.

A lot of people live in the Northern Suburbs & work in the Southern ones, & vice versa, & as well as a lot who live in either set of Suburbs & work in the CBD.
The Mitchell & Kwinana Freeways are quite often choc-a-block in the morning or at evening.

Lagos may be situated similarly geographically to Perth.

Offline PwrElectronics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2023, 12:53:00 pm »
On my first visit to Germany, ca. 1990 during August, I was not surprised that reasonably-priced hotels did not have air conditioning, but I could not believe that they had no screens on the windows to keep the wasps out when trying to cool the room.

My first and so far only trip to Germany in 2008 I was surprised at no AC in the hotel but then I am not traveled out of the US much either.  But, like you I found the lack of screens on the hotel windows odd.  It also surprised me that the hotel windows could be opened fully.  In the US, even if the windows in hotels open, I find they do not open very far so as to avoid kids or drunk adults from falling out.  The office I was visiting there also had opening windows w/o screens and no AC.  Any office building built in the US since probably the 1950s or 60s the windows are not made to open.

I am from Minnesota originally and a rural farm area at that.  No screens would mean the house filled with mosquitoes and biting flies.  Especially the mosquitoes at night.  The local joke was they are so large and numerous they are the state bird.  I still have memories of being bitten repeatedly as a small child in my bed due to a torn screen and eventually crying enough my parents were woken up.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 01:09:20 pm by PwrElectronics »

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2023, 01:29:39 pm »
We rather rarely have them here, in Romania/EU.  Most often called "mosquito nets".  Almost nonexistent in the past, when the window frames were made out out of wood.

Slowly the wooden frames were replaced with plastic frames (popular name "Termopan", which is a brand AFAIK, with plastic frame and double/triple layers of sealed glass).  The plastic frame windows often have insect-screens, but not always (screens can be eventually ordered after installing).

FYI  "mosquito nets"  in the US are five sided fabric nets that are made to hang over a bed and to keep the insects off of anyone in the bed.  They don't see them used much in the US any more other than people that are camping. But my parents and grandparents all used them many years ago. The US Military still issues them for field use.  But before air conditioning many houses were kept as wide open as possible so mosquito nets were common in the early 1900s and before window screens became standard.  If you watch an old movie such as 1930s Tarzan movie you will frequently see mosquito nets in them.

Both of my parent's parents built new houses in 1934 and 1935 and both had screens in the windows from the start. Every house that I know that was built after that also had screens built in. 

Insects ARE a problem in England. I've studied parts of Kent where the population steadily dropped for over 300 years after the introduction of African mosquitoes in the 1500s.  Go look up the Romney Marshes if you want to know more.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2023, 01:33:12 pm »
The local joke was they are so large and numerous they are the state bird.

My father was a student pilot in Florida in 1940s and he used to tell us that a mosquito landed at the airport one time and they loaded on 10,000 pounds of fuel before they realized that it wasn't an airplane.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2023, 01:43:21 pm »

My father was a student pilot in Florida in 1940s and he used to tell us that a mosquito landed at the airport one time and they loaded on 10,000 pounds of fuel before they realized that it wasn't an airplane.

I'm also originally from Minnesota.  The story is told about the two tourists who ignored advice about the mosquitos and ventured into the woods without precautions.  Two 6-foot mosquitos proceeded to kill them.  One asked the other, "should we take them deeper into the woods to eat them?"--"No, the big mosquitos will take them away from us."

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2023, 01:45:03 pm »
I wonder why annoying insects are less common in Britain.  Certainly all climates in the US have them.

Well, flying insects are not much of a nuisance in southern California. I think because of the desert climate. There are more insects in Britain, for sure.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2023, 02:17:32 pm »

I'm also originally from Minnesota.  The story is told about the two tourists who ignored advice about the mosquitos and ventured into the woods without precautions.  Two 6-foot mosquitos proceeded to kill them.  One asked the other, "should we take them deeper into the woods to eat them?"--"No, the big mosquitos will take them away from us."

Yikes!
iratus parum formica

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2023, 02:47:12 pm »

My first job was in Minnesota (raised in California).  One of the older members of the group said an early explorer wrote in his diary, "It takes a brave man on a fast horse to cross Minnesota in the Summer."  He attributed that to Lewis and Clark, but I haven't confirmed that attribution.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2023, 03:30:05 pm »
The Lewis and Clark expedition did not go through the modern state of Minnesota, but they did go through what are now North and South Dakota after leaving the Mississippi River at the boundary between modern Illinois and Missouri.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2023, 06:56:08 pm »
I wonder why annoying insects are less common in Britain.  Certainly all climates in the US have them.

Well, flying insects are not much of a nuisance in southern California. I think because of the desert climate. There are more insects in Britain, for sure.

It isn't the desert climate.  When I lived in Tucson there were more insects of many varieties than in a lot of other places I have been.  But I lived in the LA basin for quite a while too, and agree that flying insects aren't as big a problem there.  I suspect that that a combination of factors apply - a large urban region probably has far more formal and ad hoc insect control measures in place.  There is sure plenty of insecticide on sale at home improvement stores and many other venues.  And the mostly urbanized terrain must have some damping effect on the insect population.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf